PDA

View Full Version : Best East Coast State

ccowell
03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Im a school teacher in NY and have a week off in April. My (teacher) buddies and I are looking to head south with my S&S and a few dirt choppers. How far do we need to go south until it gets warm (water temp as well) and which state has the best waters and where.

We would like to hit up the MC factory and maybe some of those distilleries that are so well talked about in TN

lanier92prostar
03-02-2009, 10:31 AM
What is your idea of warm water temps? I would say at least south GA, north FLA.

ccowell
03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I live in a place where you can walk on the water for atleast 1/3 the year:mad: (frozen) the waters that im used to are usally in the 60's to 80's for the most part.

Anyone have any good hidden glass, spots down in those parts (if your willing to give them out :D)

cmw
03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I live just North of Atlanta. It was 25 this morning, but should be in the 70's Sat. Water still chilly in April.

WishIWasSkiing
03-02-2009, 12:00 PM
I'll take chilly water over ice. I just shoveled out a foot of snow this morning, & I was hoping to get my first set in on March 20th...

TX.X-30 fan
03-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Im a school teacher in NY and have a week off in April. My (teacher) buddies and I are looking to head south with my S&S and a few dirt choppers. How far do we need to go south until it gets warm (water temp as well) and which state has the best waters and where.

We would like to hit up the MC factory and maybe some of those distilleries that are so well talked about in TN

Might want to call first. :D

JohnE
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Might want to call first. :D

And the distilleries might be a bit more crowded....

lanier92prostar
03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I live just North of Atlanta. It was 25 this morning, but should be in the 70's Sat. Water still chilly in April.

But it might be 25 again next week:D Gotta love early spring weather in ATL. Water temp at Lanier was right around 50 degrees. Should be a little warmer by the 1st week in April.

ccowell
03-02-2009, 02:05 PM
If the air is in the 70's and the water is in the 50's now...it should be good in a month and a half.

wet suits and a shot of that Tennessee tea will do wonders

damaged442
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
What lakes do you ski in the Finger Lakes region? I don't think I've seen any of them get into the 80s. :D I was fortunate enough to ski Canandaigua on April 3rd at 34F a few years ago. That was awesome. I don't think I've seen Seneca, Cayuga or Skaneateles above 60...ever!

ccowell
03-02-2009, 02:45 PM
My family also has a cottage in the 1000 islands and some of the smaller, shallower bays that keep the water in them get really warm................but as for the finger lakes and great lakes no they don't get warm at all....

I usually stay in Owasco and Cayuga, which are always cold

mlay
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM

We ejoy Lake Oconee around spring break. If you wanting to do some dirt bike riding while your at it, this place is not to far from there at all and its a great place to ride.

http://www.durhamtown.com/

Jerseydave
03-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Heated lake=more fun

I've heard many good things about HYCO lake, just never been there myself (yet)

We'll be in the water here in NJ around mid-april......water should be over 60 by then.

jasonba1
03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I live in Knoxville Tn and have to say in April it is riding weather but with a wet suit. Temp is usually in the 70's and the water anywhere from 60's usually. The good thing is though you are 20 mins from the mastercraft plant and I could get you a great tour of that through are local dealer and good frined of mine or Chris Owens at Mastercraft. You are about 2 to 2 /12 hours to jack daniels and the george dickel distilery. I have been to the jack tour and it was pretty neat. If you need any more info. on Tn please feel free to email me and I will help you any way I can. Good thing about east Tn you are located around 5 lakes within 45 mins. of knoxville and 2 that are in Knoxville. Hope this helps Jason

jbaggett@tnrmt.com

ccowell
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks jason, ill have to check into that one sounds like you are in a sweet spot.

Anyone have any other hidden spots with calm waters anywhere on the east coast. wheres the spots in the summer time in the north? my boats on a trailer and I can go where ever the water is clam

kycat2007
03-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Kentucky water is still cold so let me talk bourbon for a bit ;)

Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal to distill spirits. Currently most brands are produced in Kentucky, where Bourbon has a strong association. Estimates are that 95% of the world's bourbon is distilled and aged in Kentucky.

Bardstown, Kentucky, is called the Bourbon Capital of the World and is home to the annual Bourbon Festival in September.

The Kentucky Bourbon Trail is the name of a tourism promotion intended to attract visitors to eight well-known distilleries: Buffalo Trace (Frankfort), Four Roses (Lawrenceburg), Heaven Hill (Bardstown), Jim Beam (Clermont), Maker's Mark (Loretto), Tom Moore (Bardstown, added to the trail on August 27, 2008), Wild Turkey (Lawrenceburg), and Woodford Reserve (Versailles).

Jim Beam the Girlfriend, Jim Beam the Bourbon ;)

Wake Faller
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
We do Lake Sinclair (in Central GA - below Lake Oconee) just about year round. GA Power Plant on the lake makes parts of it 10-15 degrees warmer than ambient. Terrific Glass and always plenty of Bourbon to go around - distilleries or not (we have stores where they sell the stuff ;o).