PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Paddlewheel question...

dpolen
03-01-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm looking to pick up a used Perfect Pass that does not have a paddlewheel. My boat has the old kind that is mounted on the transom, so I was digging around ebay...are the paddlewheels perfect pass specific, or are they generic? Will this one work with perfect pass wakeboard pro?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370165291263

Thanks!

Witness140
03-01-2009, 04:09 PM
What year/model/engine boat is it for?

bigmac
03-01-2009, 04:41 PM
AFAIK, the paddlewheels are generic, made by Airmar Technologies.

Look around on their web site, see if anything there provides you with useful information/

http://www.airmartechnology.com/airmar2005/ex20/RMProducts/DrillDown.asp?Type=MI

ncsone
03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
That plug on the end of the one being sold on eBay does not look compatible with the MC wiring harness, but I may be wrong. I was thinking the MC harness for the paddlewheel was white plastic and flat, not round.

The paddlewheel that is in my 197 is the Airmar ST300. I think the newer boats are coming with the ST800.

east tx skier
03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Like Bigmac said, Airmar.

The latest version of Perfect Pass no longer uses the paddle wheel for anything other than water temp. It is a pure gps system now.

dpolen
03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys...I ended up passing on the used system, think I'll just get the new version, looks pretty darn cool plus no drilling of the hole in the bottom of the boat. Or, maybe perfect pass might have an old version laying around they might sell at a discount...one can dream right?

bigmac
03-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys...I ended up passing on the used system, think I'll just get the new version, looks pretty darn cool plus no drilling of the hole in the bottom of the boat. Or, maybe perfect pass might have an old version laying around they might sell at a discount...one can dream right?

The paddlewheel does have its drawbacks anyway. There can be variations in speed. Some hull paddlewheel locations are more problematic than others. My boat, for example speeds up considerably in a left turn, not in a right turn. In moderate chop, there can be speed variations by as much as +/-1 mph. Doesn't sound like much, but can be annoying on a low drag device like a hydrofoil. I'm guessing these problems would be less, or absent, using a GPS-based speed control device.

dpolen
03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
The paddlewheel does have its drawbacks anyway. There can be variations in speed. Some hull paddlewheel locations are more problematic than others. My boat, for example speeds up considerably in a left turn, not in a right turn. In moderate chop, there can be speed variations by as much as +/-1 mph. Doesn't sound like much, but can be annoying on a low drag device like a hydrofoil. I'm guessing these problems would be less, or absent, using a GPS-based speed control device.

Thank you! Very interesting perspective...I appreciate your help. I can definitely see some pros/cons with the new GPS, I don't love the price tag, but know its still cheaper than marriage counseling.