PDA

View Full Version : Prop damage.. Suggestions?

jdl xstar
03-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Hit something by the dock yesterday. Is this repairable or do I need a new prop? :(

TMCNo1
03-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Repairable, contact Eric here, http://www.ojprops.com/ (http://www.ojprops.com/services) for it to be done right!

Jim@BAWS
03-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Hit something by the dock yesterday. Is this repairable or do I need a new prop? :(

That can be done local here in Central Florida. Figure about 189 that includes
WELD and DYNAMIC Balance.

Let me know if I can help

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
03-01-2009, 11:19 AM
We had a smaller "rip" than that and OJ told us it was not repairable. Granted, this was our second time in for a refurb. Anything is possible, but I've been given the impression that rips are a bit tougher to do correctly as opposed to bends. Never hurts to try though.

shepherd
03-01-2009, 11:22 AM
We had a smaller "rip" than that and OJ told us it was not repairable. Granted, this was our second time in for a refurb. Anything is possible, but I've been given the impression that rips are a bit tougher to do correctly as opposed to bends. Never hurts to try though.

I was told the same thing, by my local mechanic who sends props to OJ for repair. But you should ask Eric just the same. Let us know what you find out.

jdl xstar
03-01-2009, 12:01 PM
That can be done local here in Central Florida. Figure about 189 that includes
WELD and DYNAMIC Balance.

Let me know if I can help

Jim@BAWS

Thanks for the quote. I'll explore options and get in touch with you.

TX.X-30 fan
03-01-2009, 01:21 PM
I had one fixed and rebalanced that was worse. Fix it the damn things are pricy.

macattack
03-01-2009, 10:17 PM
JIM@BAWS: Where in central FL...tks

Kevin&Annie
03-02-2009, 08:15 AM
We had ours fixed here at a prop shop. It was in MUCH worse condition than yours and now I think it is even better than before. I have noticed that some prop guys are not as good as others. We have used a couple different guys and had much better results with Performance Propellers in Old Hickory Tennessee..This guy is a prop guru! People send him props from all over.. and $185 sounds dead on to me.

Jim@BAWS
03-02-2009, 09:18 AM
JIM@BAWS: Where in central FL...tks

www.bayareawatersports.com

4608 Land O Lakes Blvd
Land O Lakes, FL 34639
(813) 996 2297

20 Min north of Tampa

wakeX2wake
03-02-2009, 09:20 AM
did you find what did the damage?

jdl xstar
03-02-2009, 09:55 AM
did you find what did the damage?

No. Water was so murky and I was in a hurry so i didn't investigate. The way is ripped the prop it must have been a concrete block or something. Just annoyed that there is anything like that by the dock in just a couple feet of water. Whoever manages these parks should also be clearing out the shallow areas of prop killers like this.

jdl xstar
03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
So for a tear like this, how necessary is a dynamic balance? Can i get away with a good weld job without the dynamic balance?

EJ OJPROP
03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
A typical repair charge runs from $80.00 to $125.00. If the damge to the propeller in the picture is only the small tear in the blade and none of blades are drasticaly bent, then I would estimate our repair charge to be $95.00 plus shipping.

Eric @ oj props

EJ OJPROP
03-02-2009, 10:28 AM
So for a tear like this, how necessary is a dynamic balance? Can i get away with a good weld job without the dynamic balance?

Blade has to be trued (insure blades are in track), material welded, material cleaned up (buffed) then balanced. HAS to be trued and balanced!

russlars
03-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Would you take off a tire, repair it, remount it and then put it back on without balancing it? You definitely don't want to go cheap on this kind of repair.

jdl xstar
03-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Would you take off a tire, repair it, remount it and then put it back on without balancing it? You definitely don't want to go cheap on this kind of repair.

Good point. I'm sold on sending it up to OJ props. Feel secure sending it back to where it came from originally. Still peaved that just like that a hundred bucks or so is gone. Have to chalk it up to a cost of doing business i guess. :rolleyes:

russlars
03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Jd, while you are at it you might want to consider picking up a spare prop. Next time you may not be as lucky and the damage may put you totally out of commission. A spare prop is as important as having a spare tire! You know what they say about boats:
Bring
On
Another
Thousand
It's just money and you know the economy needs a little boost!:D:D:D

jdl xstar
03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Its a miracle! Just in time for the weekend. :dance: Thanks OJ Eric

BEFORE:

AFTER:

EJ OJPROP
03-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Its a miracle! Just in time for the weekend. :dance: Thanks OJ Eric

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Jon - Thank you for using our repair services. EJ

beatle78
03-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Jon,

That's a $500+ prop. I have the same one for sale for $300 shipped to the 48. (Yes it's splined shaft just like you need)

Are you interested in a spare?

I just have to wait to get it back. A BU got bought it from our Marketplace and then realized it was a splined shaft.:uglyhamme

I told him to send it back and I'll refund it. :rolleyes:

He didn't like the suggestion I had. "Just sell your BU and get an MC, you're better off anyway!" hahaha

JohnE
03-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Those bu guys ain't too bright.:D

jdl xstar
03-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Jon,

That's a $500+ prop. I have the same one for sale for $300 shipped to the 48. (Yes it's splined shaft just like you need)

I just have to wait to get it back. A BU got bought it from our Marketplace and then realized it was a splined shaft.:uglyhamme

He didn't like the suggestion I had. "Just sell your BU and get an MC, you're better off anyway!" hahaha

I should get a spare but have been on a modest boat accessory spending spree lately so i should probably hold off. That is a great deal and not getting it now will probably come back to bite me in the a$$. Thanks anyways.

beatle78
03-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Those bu guys ain't too bright.:D

hehe

Ok, once it's back in my posession, I'm going to post it. So you have a week or so to think about it. ;)

flipper
03-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Jon,

Tell him to just take a hacksaw and cut some splines into his shaft....it's just a Bu after all.