View Full Version : Electric Epic Boat

bobx1
02-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Saw this on Wake World

http://23e.epicboats.com/

wakeX2wake
02-26-2009, 04:11 PM
electric pontoon... everyone's DREAM

check out the range and top speed... it run off a trolling motor it would appear... at that top speed it should have auto pilot so everyone can sleep if need be

^^^^^^^^^^
not the one i was thinking... i'd rather pay for gas than have an epic though...

beatle78
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
now, once they commercialize the new solar electric technology, you could make a bimini of solar panels and keep it going all day long!!!!!

Gas Bill? ha, what's that! OPEC keep your oil :)

Sodar
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
That boat looks like a tug boat.

Sodar <--- Hates Epic Boats

KnoxX2
02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
I think it a cool idea, But I hate the boat.
Didn't they run toyota motors at one time?

wakeX2wake
02-26-2009, 04:15 PM
i think they still do...

they may be efficient but they're still ugly boats...

flipper
02-26-2009, 04:18 PM
That thing is ugly!!!!

Sodar
02-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Toyota Epic Marine... not a bad looking boat.

http://www.trianomarine.com/Images/e22.jpg

Epic Wakeboats... ugly.

http://www.theawa.com/Documents/April_1_files/image004.jpg

6ballsisall
02-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Ugly boat but very cool concept. $20 says they got US Grant money to build that

KnoxX2
02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
You mean OBAMA is now going to make wakeboats better.:rolleyes:

WishIWasSkiing
02-26-2009, 04:33 PM
I'll stick with my LT1, thank you very much.

wakeX2wake
02-26-2009, 04:35 PM

hahahaha... better start w/ something besides an Epic

scott023
02-26-2009, 04:38 PM
That thing is ugly!!!!

I would go one step further and says it's fugly...

KnoxX2
02-26-2009, 04:38 PM
You got that right!

As far as the Epic goes I would like to see the power system they have. I bet there is a Colman generator in the side compartments.

6ballsisall
02-26-2009, 04:40 PM

Apparently so.....I heard him say something about needing to rest on the 7th day though..........:rolleyes:

KnoxX2
02-26-2009, 04:43 PM
OBAMA
One Big A$$ Mistake America

wakeX2wake
02-26-2009, 04:44 PM
OBAMA

well for right now he's in like Saban

6ballsisall
02-26-2009, 04:45 PM
OBAMA

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

BCBlazers
02-26-2009, 05:44 PM

yeah, i like the roar of my X-deuce! especially when everybody in the boat puts up $20 and supplies beverages...

east tx skier
02-26-2009, 05:48 PM

I recall JimN saying those old Lexus engines they used in the Epics back in the day were whisper quiet and smooth though.

/Still have about 2,300 hours to go before my GT-40 is due for a rebuild.

Specs don't look too bad for what little weight of boat I have to push around. 7.5 gallons per hour at ski speed isn't too bad either.

http://www.epicmarine.com/images/300i%20Specs1.jpg

jraben8
02-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm sorry, call me old fashioned but electricity and water... Naw, I'm out.

bobx1
02-26-2009, 06:02 PM
I am not a fan of the looks and not sure how it will work out, but you have got to give them some credit for having the balls to give it a try. Here is the press release:

San Diego, Calif. – Epic Wakeboats, manufacturer of "The World’s First Wakeboat," announced today the release of "The World’s First Electric Hybrid Sport Boat," the Epic 23E. With its pioneering electric hybrid drive system, the Epic 23E uses half the fuel of its combustion-powered equivalent, making this Luxury Sport Boat more environmentally friendly and economical than any other on the water.
Epic Wakeboats CEO Chris Anthony said, "The Epic 23E will change the way people think about water-sports. Not only is the design extremely environment-friendly, but with over 50% better fuel economy, it will have an impact on more than just fuel costs. This system increases range, decreases noise and still provides better wakeboarding performance then its combustion motor powered counterpart."
At the core of the Epic 23E is Flux Propulsion’s Marine Drive System. This hybrid drive system features an exceptionally powerful and compact drive motor that draws from cutting-edge battery technology. Staying true to Epic’s philosophy of, "Rider Designed Engineering" the 23E features an easy to use touch screen interface that incorporates stereo and video entertainment with the GPS Speed Control and other core components.
With regard to coordinating system development between Flux Propulsion and Epic Wakeboats, Epic’s Director of Product Development, Matt Ostmeyer said, "Our combined dedication to both environmental responsibility and performance brought to life a remarkably efficient and powerful propulsion system that will revolutionize the sport boat industry, and we are proud to be a part of that."

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
So where do these allegedly green electric boat people think this electricity that powers their boat comes from? Nuclear or coal burning power plants (which I like)! It doesn't just come out of the wall. Aren't theese greenies totally against nuclear and coal burning power plants? Maybe if someone would tell them, they would take their fugly boat and go away?

Jim@BAWS
02-26-2009, 10:43 PM
"Flux Propulsion and Epic Wakeboat"

Could it really be the "FLUX CAPACITOR" from "Back to the Future"?

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2009, 10:52 PM
"Flux Propulsion and Epic Wakeboat"

Could it really be the "FLUX CAPACITOR" from "Back to the Future"?

You may be on to something?

joniron1
02-26-2009, 11:58 PM
The past 8 years were a travesty Obama could not possibly top ,even if he were so inclined.People also predicted television would be flop.We as a nation have got to get back ahead of the curve on innovative technologies.

Justjoe
02-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Have you guys checked out Wakeworld on this?? They are ALL OVER THIS and THRILLED about it. At first I figured it had to be a couple EPIC employees or something, but there just seems to be too many positive posts for THAT to be the case.

FUGLY boat, IMHO. Of course it will take a kagillion pounds of ballast (because that's the best reason to buy a boat). Actually this might make for a good drinkin boat. You couldn't do much to make it uglier by banging into docks and like a good bar girl it might become more attractive with sauce. After beating the bageezus out of it you replace the wrap and it doesn't look much worse that when you first met her.

dpolen
02-27-2009, 06:51 AM
I guess I have to disagree with some of the comments here. While I am not totally in love with the looks, I do like the innovation that they have put forward...fuel pump issues shouldn't be as big of a problem with the hybrid like the MC's. Kudos to Epic for taking a shot to try something different. Has there been any indication of price tag on this new boat? If that thing is over $55K, I think I'll have to edit my above comments...I know innovation comes with a price tag, but we need to price things appropriately.

Jim@BAWS
02-27-2009, 07:32 AM
The past 8 years were a travesty Obama could not possibly top ,even if he were so inclined.People also predicted television would be flop.We as a nation have got to get back ahead of the curve on innovative technologies.

And what Planet did you come from ???

Jim@BAWS

JohnE
02-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Putting the ugly factor aside for now, does anyone know what the addtional cost of that setup is vs. a conventional powerplant?

Kevin&Annie
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Are Epic boats made by some of the same people who made the Toyota Epic? I have a buddy that has the Toyota with the Lexus engine and it IS whisper quiet. Good looking boat too..But that Epic wakeboat...YUCK!!!

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 09:02 AM

I'll agree with you on that last sentence, but the prior I'll have the debate stage setup for us ok? 8p

damaged442
02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm not keen on the looks of this thing either. Looks like it was run into a dock head on. I am interested to find the price difference vs convential powerplant also. How long are these batteries supposed to last before they need replacing that's not covered by warranty? Good luck with it, I'm not buying.

JohnE
02-27-2009, 09:56 AM
I'd like to see the cost difference and how much gas that buys...Either way that ain't for me since it'd ruin a ski wake.

sand2snow22
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Are Epic boats made by some of the same people who made the Toyota Epic?

I don't believe so, see post #8 of this thread.

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Well lets see, I have a V10 truck and a supercharged LQ9.......hmmmmm.........I think Al Gore told me I need some carbon credits. Sign me up!! 8p

KnoxX2
02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Sounds to me you need to buy some stock in Oil with those rigs.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-27-2009, 12:41 PM

Continuing with the threadjack. Just a question, Do you own an EV1?

kdr
02-27-2009, 12:47 PM
I am surprised that so many of you are bashing this thing. I think it's a great idea. The way I understand it, and I may be wrong, the boat uses an electric motor that is powered by batteries or by a Generator (Gas/Diesel Engine coupled with an alternator). The battery capacity would allow significant use on battery power alone and then the generator kicks in when needed. Keep in mind that this is exactly how Big Ships and Trains operate. The big advantage is that you get to have all the advantages of the electric motor (instant torque, great power curves) plus the gas engine get to operate at the one speed. This means that it can be tuned to operate at it's most efficient point on the torque/power curves.

I honestly think that this could be the future of propulsion for our boats so long as the prices don't keep it totally out of reach.

My favorite thing is the possibility for totally quiet cruising. I love to just tool around the lake, but my boat isn't exactly peaceful for this.

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I am surprised that so many of you are bashing this thing. I think it's a great idea. The way I understand it, and I may be wrong, the boat uses an electric motor that is powered by batteries or by a Generator (Gas/Diesel Engine coupled with an alternator). The battery capacity would allow significant use on battery power alone and then the generator kicks in when needed. Keep in mind that this is exactly how Big Ships and Trains operate. The big advantage is that you get to have all the advantages of the electric motor (instant torque, great power curves) plus the gas engine get to operate at the one speed. This means that it can be tuned to operate at it's most efficient point on the torque/power curves.

I honestly think that this could be the future of propulsion for our boats so long as the prices don't keep it totally out of reach.

My favorite thing is the possibility for totally quiet cruising. I love to just tool around the lake, but my boat isn't exactly peaceful for this.

I'm with you KD. I think it's a fantastic idea. Hope it works out. We all know we aren't doing the water any good with our pollution, why wouldn't we all be interested in finding ways to preserve our water ways?

Sounds to me you need to buy some stock in Oil with those rigs.

Knox if you only knew how close I was last Fall to becoming an investor in an exploration enterprise. I get sick to my stomach everytime I think what kind of shape I'd be in now if I did.

rodltg2
02-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Epics have no relation to the Toyota boats of the past. Toyota used the name " epic" for one of their models. The boats originally used Volvo Penta motors which turned out to be a disaster. Volvo did not install an oil pan with baffles, so when the boat was loaded up and the bow rose, the engine would starve of oil. So alot of engines blew up. In 07, they switched over to Mercruiser 8.1 Liter and have had no more issues. I agree the boat is wierd looking. I did not like them at first, but once I took a ride in it I realized how nice the boat sat in the water. It sits very high and Its impossible to swamp the front. It comes with 4000lbs of ballast so thats important. It has dual rudders which made it turn like a direct drive when empty. Once the ballst is full, you need those 2 rudders! All in all I liked the boat. I personally put about 50 hours on one. It's not for everyone as it its pretty much good at only one thing. Wakeboarding. The wake is massive ! Ive had many riders from Pro, college to beginner. The first time riders hit the full ballast wake is hilarious. Anyway, Its very basic inside, no bling ,no flash. It just a big wakeboard tractor.

PapaJoe
02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Well, the boat may be ugly, but is this electric hybrid motor going to be the standard in 20 years....

I agree that water and electricity do NOT mix well....

As for the Epic boat, I have heard the wake is massive, the boat is very plain inside, and is a gass guzzler when ballist is full???

Not sure about maintenance and how it holds up after 3 to 5 years of use???

bobx1
02-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Quick shot of wake at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMC_0zPWQYc

Jim@BAWS
02-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Quick shot of wake at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMC_0zPWQYc

AWESOME JUST AWESOME...we now have 20 different side views of the same boat
WOW...lets see the "FLUX" drive system. That boat is probably a 100% GAS powered boat
w/ some stickers on it...PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING BOYS

Jim@BAWS

cbryan70
02-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Jim why must you bash EVERY other manufactuer? I do realize that you sell them but come on. There are other boats on the market that are geared towards a completly different market then MC's. Not all can afford a 60k direct drive or a 80+k Vdrive. Considering the price of a DD MC has gone up roughly 300% from what they were 20 years in the MC line wouldnt a dealer want these smaller companies to continue to offer a price point boat to get more people into the sport? Perhaps one day they will be able to afford the 60 to 100k boat.

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Jim why must you bash EVERY other manufactuer? I do realize that you sell them but come on. There are other boats on the market that are geared towards a completly different market then MC's. Not all can afford a 60k direct drive or a 80+k Vdrive. Considering the price of a DD MC has gone up roughly 300% from what they were 20 years in the MC line wouldnt a dealer want these smaller companies to continue to offer a price point boat to get more people into the sport? Perhaps one day they will be able to afford the 60 to 100k boat.

There is less to fear from outside competition than from inside inefficiency, discourtesy and bad service.

cbryan70
02-27-2009, 02:37 PM
There is less to fear from outside competition than from inside inefficiency, discourtesy and bad service.
expand on this please

Sodar
02-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Wow, if that does not fit the bill perfectly, I do not know what does!

bobx1
02-27-2009, 02:53 PM
WOW...lets see the "FLUX" drive system. That boat is probably a 100% GAS powered boat

Jim@BAWS

I want to be perfectly clear. I own, and am extremely happy with, a 2007 X1. I have never seen an Epic in person, I dont work for Epic nor know of anyone that works for Epic, and do not know of anyone that owns one so I have no dog in this hunt. I do think it interesting and admirable that a small company is spending (gambling) their R&D funds on innovative technologies. And yes, Mastercraft has done the same thing over the years and they should also be commended for their innovations, efforts, and attempts. Failure is a factor in the success equation. Maybe this will fail but I hope for their sake, it works very well - we will all see the benefits of their success.

rodltg2
02-27-2009, 02:56 PM
So whats ole Jimmy gonna sell if the rumors are true and MC shuts down!! Not that I believe these rumors , but I be laughing my a$$ off if he starts to sell Malibu!
By the way the boat exists, they've been testing as of this time last summer. I'm guessing its now ready to release.

cbryan70
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
According to some on this forum if mastercraft doesnt think of it it must not be good. I def agree with you, if this thing works great it will benifit all of us.

I want to be perfectly clear. I own, and am extremely happy with, a 2007 X1. I have never seen an Epic in person, I dont work for Epic nor know of anyone that works for Epic, and do not know of anyone that owns one so I have no dog in this hunt. I do think it interesting and admirable that a small company is spending (gambling) their R&D funds on innovative technologies. And yes, Mastercraft has done the same thing over the years and they should also be commended for their innovations, efforts, and attempts. Failure is a factor in the success equation. Maybe this will fail but I hope for their sake, it works very well - we will all see the benefits of their success.

flipper
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm going to be ROTF if in a few years MC is making the same thing, then everybody is talking good about them. That boat itself is ugly IMO, but I think it's a neat idea.

Sodar
02-27-2009, 03:07 PM
It has been done. SeaRay did it to a 24' cruiser.... http://madmariner.com/video/product_demos/sea-ray-sundancer-240-hybrid

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 03:36 PM
According to some on this forum if mastercraft doesnt think of it it must not be good. I def agree with you, if this thing works great it will benifit all of us.

That's my reason for why pickle fork bows displease me so. :)

Jim@BAWS
02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
So whats ole Jimmy gonna sell if the rumors are true and MC shuts down!! Not that I believe these rumors , but I be laughing my a$$ off if he starts to sell Malibu!
By the way the boat exists, they've been testing as of this time last summer. I'm guessing its now ready to release.

That is the ONLY way that WAKECRAFT or someone else will arise to the top
If MasterCraft fails...it ain't gonna happen. How many WAKECRAFT boats where sold in
08 and 09 there Dr Brainey. Rod seems like you only come around when you want to
start a fire or make up a new RUMOR. You must be representing BU these days !!!

Jim@BAWS

PS By the way there Rod, Dr Brainey or whoever you are this week. We have already been invited to take on Malibu when the dealer lost BU this last year. Same dealer that lost MC when we got it. Already recieved a call from SKIERS choice also....MasterCraft is where it is at AND YOU KNOW IT !!!

Ric
02-27-2009, 04:36 PM
good to hear this place has some sensible people posting. welcome jonoron

Hollywood
02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
I really don't like how they use the term "hybrid". The boat is powered by electricity, onboard batteries, which just so happen to be charged by a gas engine. Correct me if I am mistaken, but there is no energy recouperation going on with this boat?

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
I really don't like how they use the term "hybrid". The boat is powered by electricity, onboard batteries, which just so happen to be charged by a gas engine. Correct me if I am mistaken, but there is no energy recouperation going on with this boat?

Same methadology a hybrid car uses right???

Hollywood
02-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't know much about cars but I thought they had the ability to charge the batteries during braking/downhill.

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't know much about cars but I thought they had the ability to charge the batteries during braking/downhill.

Maybe. I'd hope the boats aren't going downhill though. 8p Wonder if they could create some low drag type of alternator that could regenerate power from the turning prop shaft? :confused:

Ric
02-27-2009, 04:41 PM

Jim@BAWS ya but did you see the pics of johnny's fiance' ?

wakeX2wake
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
ya but did you see the pics of johnny's fiance' ?

speaking of pudding... iiiiiii mean... sorry man your girl is hott

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Maybe. I'd hope the boats aren't going downhill though. 8p Wonder if they could create some low drag type of alternator that could regenerate power from the turning prop shaft? :confused:

Now that we've gone GPS, I'm thinking we could rig that useless paddle wheel speedo up to a generator like the old bicycles.

/That constitutes a patent.

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Now that we've gone GPS, I'm thinking we could rig that useless paddle wheel speedo up to a generator like the old bicycles.

/That constitutes a patent.

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 05:38 PM

I assume that will be standard issue and at the top of all marketing materials in a few years. So I need some witnesses.

rodltg2
02-27-2009, 05:39 PM
That is the ONLY way that WAKECRAFT or someone else will arise to the top
If MasterCraft fails...it ain't gonna happen. How many WAKECRAFT boats where sold in
08 and 09 there Dr Brainey. Rod seems like you only come around when you want to
start a fire or make up a new RUMOR. You must be representing BU these days !!!

Jim@BAWS

PS By the way there Rod, Dr Brainey or whoever you are this week. We have already been invited to take on Malibu when the dealer lost BU this last year. Same dealer that lost MC when we got it. Already recieved a call from SKIERS choice also....MasterCraft is where it is at AND YOU KNOW IT !!!

Yep, thats it Jim everyone wants to rise to the top and be just like Mastercraft. All tournament boat builders want to be associated with some huge corproation and sell 4000 boats a year. You nailed it on the head.

I really dont care about you and your boat wars. You can have it. I just sold a few boats here and there for small manufactures for some fun and extra $$ . Other than that I enjoy skiing behind my 2008 CC 196 or my buddies MC, Bu or whatever.

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Yep, thats it Jim everyone wants to rise to the top and be just like Mastercraft. All tournament boat builders want to be associated with some huge corproation and sell 4000 boats a year. You nailed it on the head.

I really dont care about you and your boat wars. You can have it. I just sold a few boats here and there for small manufactures for some fun and extra $$ . Other than that I enjoy skiing behind my 2008 CC 196 or my buddies MC, Bu or whatever.

Footnote. Rod owned every one of these boats he now skis behind at one point or another. 8p

cbryan70
02-27-2009, 05:46 PM
East hes not a MC dealer.......isnt it obvious he doesnt have a clue?

///// i thought you were a lawyer
////////read between the lines

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm off to do a search for all of rod's new boat threads a/k/a the good old days. :)

sizzler
02-27-2009, 05:52 PM
dig well doug

cbryan70
02-27-2009, 05:56 PM
if only you were a mod you could start a new thread with all the old threads merged saying "the official Rods boats thread"

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Just found his Green 190. Let me see if I've got this history right.

2008 CC - Blue
2006 CC - Red sold for boat with ZO.
2001 190 - Green with minitower that abused him.
2004 Bu - Blue - Couldn't do dips on the windshield.
2003 197 - Blue - Perfect boat. No problems whatsoever. ;)

Did I miss anything?

cbryan70
02-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Few wakecrafts, svara (spelling), epic

sand2snow22
02-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm going to be ROTF if in a few years MC is making the same thing, then everybody is talking good about them.

I agree. Heads are rolling at the big 3 right now. 1-3 of them will follow. They will watch the sales of this Epic closely. Competition is a good thing boys. With this economy we might have less competition and that is bad for the consumer.

We know the VW diesel engine option in a MC is pricey, I wonder how the hybrid will compare?

ski_king
02-27-2009, 06:09 PM

2008 CC - Blue

Did I miss anything?

If I remember correctly, he had a 93 S&S for a while.

sizzler
02-27-2009, 06:10 PM
and an inflatable dingy

ski_king
02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
and an inflatable dingy

the kind he has isnt a boat......

ttu
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM
siz, don't forget the houseboat!

sand2snow22
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM

2008 CC - Blue

Did I miss anything?

Rod were you dating the ex-girlfriend when you had the 2001 190?

rodltg2
02-27-2009, 06:15 PM
you missed
91 ski brendella
00 mb sports

all great some better then others. right now the CC suits my needs.

Sodar
02-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Good to see ya, Rodell! Today TT looks like the old days, that is for sure!

cbryan70
02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
I wonder why?

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 08:05 PM
you missed
91 ski brendella
00 mb sports

all great some better then others. right now the CC suits my needs.

I don't know how I forgot the little blue 93 S&S. One of my favs. I liked the 06 a lot, too, though.

Jim@BAWS
02-28-2009, 12:27 PM

My 1988 MASTERCRAFT PS 190 1:1 COVER GALV TRAILER $18000

Lets get a little realistic here. This is not WAKEWORLD...this is a MasterCraft FORUM. I live eat and sleep it 24/7 and I am not even brainwashed. Set me aside for a moment as a dealer not a retail purchaser. We run into this SPIN ZONE crap everyday where ALL the manufactures are saying "ITS JUST AS GOOD AS A MASTERCRAFT' They ALL say it. If you have to say that well then you ARE NOT MASTERCRAFT. Look at all the rumors we contend with MASTERCRAFT IS GOING BANKRUPT. They are far from it. Everyone is making adjustments to make it through these times MasterCraft included. I am not going to put John's Dorton's letter on here, some one already did. MasterCraft is building boats. Getting out 5 or more a day. That is ALOT better than NONE or 2 a week.

Guys I applaud the NEW TECHNOLOGY that this other brand is bringing...just be man enough to show it vs. a boat w/ pretty graphics on it!!! WHERE IS THE PROOF !!!

I could put an X-Star in water, add some background sound to make it sound like my wifes
Yukon Hybrid and VOILA a HYBIRD X-Star is born and I did not even show the motor. I am sure it is probably real...just show us !!!

Enough said

Thanks for reading...and me being aloud to vent

MASTERCRAFT IS NOT GOING BANKRUPT

Jim@BAWS

flipper
02-28-2009, 12:41 PM
My 1988 MASTERCRAFT PS 190 1:1 COVER GALV TRAILER $18000

Lets get a little realistic here. This is not WAKEWORLD...this is a MasterCraft FORUM. I live eat and sleep it 24/7 and I am not even brainwashed. Set me aside for a moment as a dealer not a retail purchaser. We run into this SPIN ZONE crap everyday where ALL the manufactures are saying "ITS JUST AS GOOD AS A MASTERCRAFT' They ALL say it. If you have to say that well then you ARE NOT MASTERCRAFT. Look at all the rumors we contend with MASTERCRAFT IS GOING BANKRUPT. They are far from it. Everyone is making adjustments to make it through these times MasterCraft included. I am not going to put John's Dorton's letter on here, some one already did. MasterCraft is building boats. Getting out 5 or more a day. That is ALOT better than NONE or 2 a week.

Guys I applaud the NEW TECHNOLOGY that this other brand is bringing...just be man enough to show it vs. a boat w/ pretty graphics on it!!! WHERE IS THE PROOF !!!

I could put an X-Star in water, add some background sound to make it sound like my wifes
Yukon Hybrid and VOILA a HYBIRD X-Star is born and I did not even show the motor. I am sure it is probably real...just show us !!!

Enough said

Thanks for reading...and me being aloud to vent

MASTERCRAFT IS NOT GOING BANKRUPT

Jim@BAWS

So are you saying you're not going to buy an Epic bote?:D

6ballsisall
02-28-2009, 12:42 PM

Well he'd have to get in line behind me. I was sold on the Epic when he said it was as good as a Mastercraft.

flipper
02-28-2009, 12:45 PM
HMMMM, if that's the case, and Epic boat, with a built in GD would be better than a MC wouldn't it?

TMCNo1
02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
:uglyhamme:woohoo::uglyhamme

6ballsisall
02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
HMMMM, if that's the case, and Epic boat, with a built in GD would be better than a MC wouldn't it?

Oh yeah definetely. They are working on the prototype now. Their will even be a coal powered option on the boat as well as steam powered so while cooking you can board and stuff.

flipper
02-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah definetely. They are working on the prototype now. Their will even be a coal powered option on the boat as well as steam powered so while cooking you can board and stuff.

I would go with an electric Grill Dome so you keep the go green theme going.

TMCNo1
02-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm going with Capt'n MasterCraft and his fleet of bunny powered botes!

6ballsisall
I would go with an electric Grill Dome so you keep the go green theme going.

Good point. I think this will really take off now since according to Jim MC is going under. 8p

scott023
I am not a die hard green guy... but I liket he idea of this technology if it can produce the same performance as what is available now. The big problem I have with the automobiles like this is that the power is not there, and you are paying a premium to use it. Seems to me that if the government wanted us to use these they would step in and make it more feasible
for comsumers.... I should have to drive a car 250K before I start seeing a return on my investment. I would assume that they hightened cost of the Epic would result in similar problems for consumers.

3event
02-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Following on Scott023.... there is a good reason why the MSRP of this boat has not been released !

I heard somewhere recently that the avg income of a Toyota Prius owner is $100K, so a lot of people may be buying more to "feel green" and make a statement rather than to actually get a return on their investment. Doubt that scenario can apply to boats, because buying a big ole wake machine can't really make any statement about frugality....

I am all for pushing new technology. Unfortunately the current economic climate will cripple innovation significantly if not crush it altogether.

Jim@BAWS
02-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm going with Capt'n MasterCraft and his fleet of bunny powered botes!

Harold...Oh My GOSH...that is Mr Green Genes on the left. Met him many a time
as a young boy. He used to do alot of work with Fred Waring and the Pennsylanians
in Delaware Water Gap...Shawnee on the Delaware...He was the voice for
"LITTLE OLLIE"

Jim@BAWS

joniron1
02-28-2009, 11:37 PM
i read somewhere they are producing tug boats with diesel-electric hybrid systems,so it must be able to deliver on power. I also like the bunny power idea,due to their rapid breading you could repower often for that new boat feel.also add more ballast , install a few more bunnies.Maybe in louisiana we could use the nutria which cause so much damage to our marshes,if thats not green i dont know what is.

kgrove
03-01-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm as skeptical as all of you about these, but don't dismiss the power source completely just because it says electric... keep in mind nuclear powered aircraft carriers and submarines are in fact electric powered boats... the nuclear reactors are just the electrical source, not the true driver of the props.

That said, I find it extremely difficult to believe that it could be cost efficient to have the massive battery banks that would be required to develop the power necessary to push a wakeboard boat through the water. By definition, wakeboard boats have hugely inefficient hulls as they are designed to make as big a wake as possible, not to neatly cut through the water.

scramison
03-01-2009, 06:44 AM
I am all for pushing new technology. Unfortunately the current economic climate will cripple innovation significantly if not crush it altogether.

It may cripple it but I think you have it all wrong. The current situation could drive innovation as more people are likely to be concerned with gas billls and things of this nature especially if gas is $4/gallon this summer.

While the funding may not be there intially if they come out with a great solution they will cripple the gas market on their own. I think it is very possible. Also it sounds like they are talking about something different than a hybrid. They say it is capable of an hour of straight electric wakeboarding without gas. This would mean 2 seperate power sources not intertwined like hybrid systems currently are? Does anyone else see it this way?

TMCNo1
03-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Ya'll are way behind, I've been running a battery powered MasterCraft for a couple years,
I think they are pulling our leg, look at the RC antenna on that thing!

Wake2wake
03-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Ya'll are way behind, I've been running a battery powered MasterCraft for a couple years,

Hahahaha now that is a nice touch, I just spit out my cheerios and about fell on the floor with laughter (luckily i missed my computer with the milk:D)!!!!

scott023
03-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Harold, where may I ask did you get that remote control?

TMCNo1
03-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Harold, where may I ask did you get that remote control?

Walmart sold them in '04 and '05, something like $49.95 = tax. I tore it apart and painted and detailed it to match to color scheme and graphics of our '89 over a 3 week period. I even called a friend @ MasterCraft who issues HIN's and worked out a real hull identification number, MBCLNRC1D404 that wouldn't be duplicated by a real production boat.
There are at least 3 different sizes that have been on the market and are shown somewhere in this thread, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6397&highlight=remote+control