PDA

View Full Version : Malibu Boats Truth is on the Water Challenge

macattack
02-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Interesting challenge! Wonder if anyone will take it??

http://www.malibuboats.com/review/malibureview_jan09.html#fotof

beatle78
02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
I do have to say, that Malibu Corp. has one of the best customer support I've ever seen! I had some issues with the work my Malibu dealer did and an issue with the wedge I had installed. I was fed up with the local shop and wrote letters to Malibu Corp. I got a called from the President himself. He fixed all the issues with promptness.

Mastercraft customer support was not as fluid. I felt like MC didn't care as much. I would have expected that attitude from CorrectCraft, but not from Mastercraft.

Truth be told, MC, Malibu, and CorrectCraft all make a pretty sweet ride! I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

I would buy the one that had the better dealership in my area.

corey
02-26-2009, 04:44 PM
This event is B.S. No one invited us to the event.

FWIW as a dealer we do participate in an event called Dare To Compare in which we do put our boats up against the competition. The event is open to all makes and models and the dealers actually get an invite. Last year we had 5 boats in the water as did several other inboards.

D3skier
02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
I'll take the challenge only if the blond babe will be there as well...

coz
02-26-2009, 05:44 PM

Nice graphics D3 :D

scott023
02-26-2009, 05:47 PM

D3, did you modify that picture? It looksdiffrent than the one on the Malibu site somehow... and the blonde is great. I would like to know if the boat companies to to modeling agencies for all of the hotties, or if it is just friends and family.

After what I saw when I was in Volmore, I would be surprised if MC wouldn't take this type of challenge... they would most likely end up selling more boats this way.

shepherd
02-26-2009, 06:42 PM
So, theoretically, I could have my local Malibu, Mastercraft, and CorrectCraft dealers have 3 boats meet me at the lake and hang out while I test-drive and test-ski each one??? And there will be a hot blond babe there to dip her toes off the back? That's cool. :cool:

BCBlazers
02-26-2009, 06:50 PM
ya get a free pull out of the deal at least...

jaysus
02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
From the press release Local Malibu Dealers are extending invitations, at your request, to competing water sports boat dealers to take the Truth is on the Water Challenge

We are anxiously awaiting the call to participate...:steering:

TOO-TALL
02-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Truth be told, MC, Malibu, and CorrectCraft all make a pretty sweet ride! I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

I would buy the one that had the better dealership in my area.

True Dat!....
When I was boat shopping.I was looking for a BU VLX,But came across a good deal on a X2 and the x2 was in great condition.Then I started to think about dealers.The Bu dealer is 2 hours from me.Same with the CC dealer.There are three MC dealer within 2 hours the closet one is only 35 minutes.That sealed the deal.

TMCNo1
02-26-2009, 07:54 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

coz
02-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

True, but the ads all worng :confused: bow bunny? :confused: those would be transom titties on the back of the boat, right? :confused:

Jim@BAWS
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Interesting challenge! Wonder if anyone will take it??

http://www.malibuboats.com/review/malibureview_jan09.html#fotof

WHERE IS MY INVITE....I WANT ONE NOW...I CAN'T WAIT...GUESS I BETTER INVITE MYSELF!

PLEASE INVITE ME PLEASE INVITE ME PLEASE

Jim@BAWS

dlamont
02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
"Truth is on the water" Bring it Malibu, you can't handle the truth!!
Send me an invite too.

JohnE
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
From the press release Local Malibu Dealers are extending invitations, at your request, to competing water sports boat dealers to take the Truth is on the Water Challenge

We are anxiously awaiting the call to participate...:steering:

Can I sign up? I just spent some time crawling around them this past weekend. Ice should be out in a few weeks. And they should have plenty of time during pre season.

brucemac
02-26-2009, 11:19 PM
lol harold :D

east tx skier
02-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Seems like a good marketing tool. I hope someone looking to compare takes them up on it so they can get a side by side by side comparison. Sounds like the only way to shop for a boat to me.

skisix@38
02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
So, what would you expect to learn? For you die hard MC lovers, do you think you could open up your minds enough to see that Bu makes a good boat and does it differently then your MC? Or are you going to go and show the Bu dealers that their boat is a POS, even though they have on par sales volume, and convince the Bu dealer that they have been playing for the wrong team?
Or do you think that you show up to the lake with your MC and the person who is there to see what boat is better for him or her is just going to see the MC is so much better in the 50 min. you're at the lake?

I would like to know you prespective.

bbymgr
02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
So, what would you expect to learn? For you die hard MC lovers, do you think you could open up your minds enough to see that Bu makes a good boat and does it differently then your MC? Or are you going to go and show the Bu dealers that their boat is a POS, even though they have on par sales volume, and convince the Bu dealer that they have been playing for the wrong team?
Or do you think that you show up to the lake with your MC and the person who is there to see what boat is better for him or her is just going to see the MC is so much better in the 50 min. you're at the lake?

Anyone ever notice that it's always the little guy that throws the gauntlet down first?

coz
02-27-2009, 10:09 AM

I have to say this for BU's, my friend was looking at wakeboats a few years ago and was looking at the big names then ended up with a bu 23 XTI. I said then and still do, it's one of the nicest & smoothest riding watersports boats I've been in, and when the ballast's are full and the wedge is down the launch ramp is killer :headbang:

I'm not saying MC's don't ride nice :confused: I have a 205 that rides great and suites me just fine :D

shepherd
02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Seems like a good marketing tool. I hope someone looking to compare takes them up on it so they can get a side by side by side comparison. Sounds like the only way to shop for a boat to me.

I think that would be a good subject for a "boat comparison" thread. An unbiased one, without any marketing influence like you might find in Waterski Magazine. Maybe the Waterski Forum or Wakeworld would be the best place for such a thread rather than here to avoid any appearance of bias. I'd do it, but there are no MC, CC, or Bu dealers within 200 miles from here.

jdl xstar
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't like malibu boats. Plain and simple. When i see one drive by I have never even wondered what it'd be like to have one or ride in one. The bow looks bloated as if it were stung by a wasp or something. Just aesthetically unpleasing. The wedge is pretty lame too. :twocents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXHoWz5vPM

Jim@BAWS
02-27-2009, 11:25 AM
You can use this link on the NEW MALIBU AXIS BOATS HA HA HA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNRgvHeGDds&feature=related

Chief
02-27-2009, 11:56 AM

It is just like the Ford and Chevy war: It's just a matter of your personal taste, we just tend to like MC's. Now the Bu Crew would love your input www.themalibucrew.com (http://www.themalibucrew.com) . I don't think Malibu makes anything that's this nice though, but I won't go over to the malibu site and try to convince them, I'll stay right here with the MC crew.

kycat2007
02-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Jim more like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG0LzWHtdIc&feature=related

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 12:17 PM

My opinion on the subject is that if you're buying a boat and you don't leave your bias at home nor do you take the time to compare the brands, you're doing it wrong. Each person that actually takes the time to do this may come away with a different conclusion. For some, MC will suit their needs best. For others, not. But for those who don't take the time to actually compare both on and off the water and are sold online, by a picture, or in a single showroom, they may possibly end up with something less than suitable for their needs.

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 12:21 PM
It is just like the Ford and Chevy war: It's just a matter of your personal taste, we just tend to like MC's. Now the Bu Crew would love your input www.themalibucrew.com (http://www.themalibucrew.com) . I don't think Malibu makes anything that's this nice though, but I won't go over to the malibu site and try to convince them, I'll stay right here with the MC crew.

But you could go over there and try to convince them if you so desired. That is certainly the advantage of private site ownership, which is not present here. I'm not complaining about it by any means. The rules are what they are over here.

Muttley
02-27-2009, 12:38 PM
It'd be pretty boring if we didn't have a choice, wouldn't it?

When I started skiing, it was behind a Euro f3. Excellent boat. It had a better slalom wake than my 205, but nothing for wakeboarding. A buddy of mine has a newer Iride. Crappy for slalom, but comfy, smooth and a killer wakeboard boat. As far as I'm concerned, the Nautiques, up until this year, have lacked style. They've been pretty ugly. I'm in love with my MC, which is the best all around boat for me, but the 'bu is a sweet boat and the only other brand I would consider. Of course I'll never tell my buddy that. The rivalry is too much fun.

Jim@BAWS
02-27-2009, 12:39 PM

First of all...MASTERCRAFT is leading in MARKET share so get your facts straight please
Second...If there was an opportunity to sell APPLES TO APPLES we would win hands down on construction. For those shopping price and see no value in superior quality we loose.
If there is an opportunity after a years worth of ownership to show a customer a MasterCraft who never saw one before...WE WIN.

Look you LOVE your BU and that is cool. You will defend your purchase to the endth degree. Don't come over here like you always do and claim superiorty. It ain't gonna happen

Jim@BAWS

craig3972
02-27-2009, 02:10 PM
First of all...MASTERCRAFT is leading in MARKET share so get your facts straight please
Second...If there was an opportunity to sell APPLES TO APPLES we would win hands down on construction. For those shopping price and see no value in superior quality we loose.
If there is an opportunity after a years worth of ownership to show a customer a MasterCraft who never saw one before...WE WIN.

Look you LOVE your BU and that is cool. You will defend your purchase to the endth degree. Don't come over here like you always do and claim superiorty. It ain't gonna happen

Jim@BAWS

Tough sell for me ( bought a 06 xstar) on the superior quality and construction idea. My boat had a list of problems. The dealer tried to fix them ,but some are still persisting and I am just tired of dealing with it.

Bought my boat because of the looks. Didn't test drive one, or ride behind one before i layed my money down. Just went on the reviews i read in magazines.

Didnt consider the Malibu because i didnt like the look - they need to re-think their gel coat lines/schemes before i would consider them. Not a fan of the fiberglass tower either.

I do however like some of the looks of the Supras and they were considered at purchase time. MC wanted to sell their boat, so i got a great deal on the xstar.

I would like to believe that all the major inboard manufacturers have been building hulls long enough that they would all perform beautifully on the water, with no glaring differences between them.

If you think teamtalk is this only "love in" by boat brands, look again. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18844

Nobody wants to admit that they spent a bunch of money on something and they dont really like it, thats how this brand loyalty thing gets going.

Maristar210
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
I should have sold raffle ticket to another Malibu pissing contest. My response is a general statement and not directed at anyone but I have never been over there and I don't go the Planet site either.

I think Bu people should stay on thier site and leave us the F alone.

Don't like MC? Fine - Go away. Do you see us on the Bu site touting MC? No you don't

As my frined Pete/Sizzler would say "well piss off then"

Have a nice day at the crew site

skisix@38
02-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Jim@BAWS

Jim,
As usual, I get the typical response from you.... Some things never change. Please go back and read every word of what I wrote and tell me where I claim the Bu or CC or Epic, or Crownline....whatever is supperior? If you need assistance with the reading part go to the local elementary school and ask. Just post back here and underline or highlight the parts where you think I am claiming that someone is better then MC....

I'm just wondering why... You know, forget it. I don't need to know why from you. I owned a MC for 10 years before I got the boat I have now and I can tell you without a doubt that I don't think MC wins for what I am looking quite so strongly as you you think they do Jim. There are other boats out there that pull skiers up and down the lake all day, everyday and go do all the other things that the boats you sell do, they last just as long and they sell for just as much after they are used.... I ski behind them all and I drive them all, so I have actual experience in these boats.

KnoxX2
02-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Jim,
As usual, I get the typical response from you.... Some things never change. Please go back and read every word of what I wrote and tell me where I claim the Bu or CC or Epic, or Crownline....whatever is supperior? If you need assistance with the reading part go to the local elementary school and ask. Just post back here and underline or highlight the parts where you think I am claiming that someone is better then MC....

I'm just wondering why... You know, forget it. I don't need to know why from you. I owned a MC for 10 years before I got the boat I have now and I can tell you without a doubt that I don't think MC wins for what I am looking quite so strongly as you you think they do Jim. There are other boats out there that pull skiers up and down the lake all day, everyday and go do all the other things that the boats you sell do, they last just as long and they sell for just as much after they are used.... I ski behind them all and I drive them all, so I have actual experience in these boats.

Guess this makes you an expert then.:rolleyes:
Hey Jim the troll is back.8p

About skisix@38
Team MasterCraft Member
no
Boat Owned
2003 Malibu Response LXi
Occupation
mechanical engineer

scott023
02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Jim,

Not coming to Jim's defense here at all.... but I just purchased the first boat my family has ever owned. so I do nto haev a big bias towards any manufactures. I would DISAGREE big time on the resale aspect of your post. I researched this extensively before purchasing, and the BU boats resale here in Canada is no where near what MC resale is. As an example, I could have gotten into a 2007 247 LSV that was completely loaded for 58,000 cdn. Boat had 32 hours on it. Show me a year old x45 with 30 hours on it that you lose nearly 25K on.
Again, there was a lot of time and effort put into our purchase, and IMHO there is not one builder whose boat holds value like MC. :cool:

captain planet
02-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Jim@BAWS

Jim,

GUYS, GUYS!!!! Can't we all just get along?! All the bickering must stop unitl ONE question gets answered............which boat company has the fastest leaking hydrophonic dampening box that fills up their hollow stringers with water???? :D

I have one other question...will they have several of the same malibu model at this event? I mean, since there can be up to 2 inches difference in motor placement between two identical model malibus shouldn't you get to choose which one you want....the one that was built on Tuesday or the one that was built on Friday? 8p

I joke, I joke, I kid, I kid.

Bygones

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Guess this makes you an expert then.:rolleyes:
Hey Jim the troll is back.8p

About skisix@38
Team MasterCraft Member
no
Boat Owned
2003 Malibu Response LXi
Occupation
mechanical engineer

C'mon, Knox. Greg's been around here forever. We all know he owns a Malibu. I remember when he owned a MC. He can also ski rings around most of us. Sadly, he cannot do dips from the windshield. :) I guess I can't either anymore.

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 03:27 PM
GUYS, GUYS!!!! Can't we all just get along?! All the bickering must stop unitl ONE question gets answered............which boat company has the fastest leaking hydrophonic dampening box that fills up their hollow stringers with water???? :D

I have one other question...will they have several of the same malibu model at this event? I mean, since there can be up to 2 inches difference in motor placement between two identical model malibus shouldn't you get to choose which one you want....the one that was built on Tuesday or the one that was built on Friday? 8p

I joke, I joke, I kid, I kid.

Bygones

I'm agreeing with an Obama fan here...........:rolleyes:8p Seriously peeps. They are both good boats. The "This brand is superior" routine is old and a bit of a cliche.........

captain planet
02-27-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm agreeing with an Obama fan here...........:rolleyes:8p Seriously peeps. They are both good boats. The "This brand is superior" routine is old and a bit of a cliche.........

It might be a bit of a cliche, but you have to admit that was funny......well, at least it was to me. 8p

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Balderdash! Challenger is clearly the supreme tow boat!

/slashy - agrees with Randol

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
It might be a bit of a cliche, but you have to admit that was funny......well, at least it was to me. 8p

Tru Dat!

Challenger, oh how could I forget!! Thanks for setting the record straight! The Challenger RULES

Sodar
02-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Doesn't everyone know that new boats suck? I thought UMP had told you all by now!

ncsone
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM

Doug - you are forgetting about Ski Ray too.

-NCS

flipper
02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
How's the resale on bayliners?

captain planet
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM

-NCS

What was wrong with Ski Ray? :confused:

Sodar
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Ask PF .

cbryan70
02-27-2009, 03:58 PM

Bout as good as new boat sales are on them.....BAD

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 03:58 PM

The best DONTCHANO????????

Sodar
02-27-2009, 03:59 PM
I know a great site to research them... http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 04:00 PM

Is Freddy over there?

Sodar
02-27-2009, 04:01 PM
No, but apparently Jim@BAWS and Coz are. :(

flipper
02-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Ask PF .

He can't even get a t-shirt made, what does he know?

Sodar
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM

He knows Mediation.

cbryan70
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM

I talked to the guy yesterday if dog screws up PF will get it done...and cheaper. Heck he can even do hoodies with the hood in the front for you

cbryan70
02-27-2009, 04:17 PM
He knows Mediation.

Where is that middle finger at on this forum?

TMCNo1
02-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Where is that middle finger at on this forum?
Oh, the natives are getting restless, I hear the drums!

craig3972
02-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Fueling the fire....

"By 2001, Malibu boats was at the top of the world in both awards and boat sales enlisting new production techniques and establishing new standards in customer service that has propelled them to where they are today, the new standard in the water sports industry. They won more Product Excellence Awards from the industry than all other competitors combined. They received 13 Boat of the Year Awards and today they are the number one manufacturer of water sports boats. Malibu Boats has an extremely dedicated base of owners."

flipper
02-27-2009, 05:05 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

captain planet
02-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Fueling the fire....

"By 2001, Malibu boats was at the top of the world in both awards and boat sales enlisting new production techniques and establishing new standards in customer service that has propelled them to where they are today, the new standard in the water sports industry. They won more Product Excellence Awards from the industry than all other competitors combined. They received 13 Boat of the Year Awards and today they are the number one manufacturer of water sports boats. Malibu Boats has an extremely dedicated base of owners."

Wow, I'm jealous......AND my stringers aren't vented?!?!?

scott023
02-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Fueling the fire....

Where was the excerpt taken from? I think someone once told me that you can't believe everything that you read... I am sure that there are multiple publications that are giving out "boat of the year" awards.

92 190 PS
02-27-2009, 05:20 PM

All the crap we always talk about bayliner and you have to post the forum shortcut. Never knew there was a baylinerownersclub. Couldn't resist to have a quick look around to see what is discussed on the site...They do have some classic smilies....
http://www.freewebby.com/adult-smilies/hump.gif

coz
02-27-2009, 05:32 PM

All the crap we always talk about bayliner and you have to post the forum shortcut. Never knew there was an baylinerownersclub. Couldn't resist to have a quick look around to see what is discussed on the site...They do have some classic smilies....
http://www.freewebby.com/adult-smilies/hump.gif

No, but apparently Jim@BAWS and Coz are.

He thinks baws & I are members? he's posted that link on this site a few times before :rolleyes: no conection to me but sodar has the shortcut he's been there before I haven't :rolleyes:

craig3972
02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Where was the excerpt taken from? I think someone once told me that you can't believe everything that you read... I am sure that there are multiple publications that are giving out "boat of the year" awards.

from here http://www.onlyinboards.com/Ski-boat-manufacturers/

Dont believe everything you read on the internet applies to all sites!

btw scott023 r u in cowtown? where do u ride?

Muttley
02-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Actually, according to JD Power, Mastercraft kicks Malibu's transom. :D

http://www.jdpower.com/Boats/ratings/ski-wakeboarding-boat-ratings

Unfortunately CC kicks ours. :rolleyes: But they're ugly so they don't count. ;)

scott023
02-27-2009, 05:49 PM
from here http://www.onlyinboards.com/Ski-boat-manufacturers/

Dont believe everything you read on the internet applies to all sites!

btw scott023 r u in cowtown? where do u ride?

Again... there are multiple sources that give out boat of the year awards. I am truely unbiased at this point... I have nto even driven the boat I bought yet. I researched it a lot and bought what I think is the best boat for my family.

I am in Sylvan Lake, halfway between Calgary and Edmonton. Where you at?

wakeX2wake
02-27-2009, 05:56 PM
some of their topics are as bad as their boats... i'm sorry i'm not trying to be ugly but the first thread i saw when i clicked on the site was "ahoy maties" and i scrolled down and saw a "how many people can i have on my boat?" thread... i'll take 30 impeller and 50 teak threads over those two

craig3972
02-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Again... there are multiple sources that give out boat of the year awards. I am truely unbiased at this point... I have nto even driven the boat I bought yet. I researched it a lot and bought what I think is the best boat for my family.

I am in Sylvan Lake, halfway between Calgary and Edmonton. Where you at?

i am in calgary .. we usually go to ghost, but i have friends at sylvan (sunbreaker cove) who we ride with. Sylvan Lake township is a crazy place in the middle of summer.

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 06:30 PM

-NCS

Careful there! My wife's uncle has a 93 Ski Ray. I've got great footage of our cousin riding on a tennis raquet behind it.

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Actually, according to JD Power, Mastercraft kicks Malibu's transom. :D

http://www.jdpower.com/Boats/ratings/ski-wakeboarding-boat-ratings

Unfortunately CC kicks ours. :rolleyes: But they're ugly so they don't count. ;)

Easy there. Mine ain't ugly.

scott023
02-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Careful there! My wife's uncle has a 93 Ski Ray. I've got great footage of our cousin riding on a tennis raquet behind it.

East... you should really post that video. I am it is thoroughly entertaining. :D

east tx skier
02-27-2009, 06:35 PM
East... you should really post that video. I am it is thoroughly entertaining. :D

I'll have to find it. After a while, he just skied around while we threw tennis balls at him. The water was not smooth on that lake obviously.

But for what it's worth, the CB version of the Ski Ray was very well reviewed in the WSM boat buyer's guide in 1993 (back when those reviews actually had some substance). By comparison to the 93 190 though, the rooster tail is huge on the Ski Ray at 22 off.

beatle78
02-27-2009, 10:43 PM
some of their topics are as bad as their boats... i'm sorry i'm not trying to be ugly but the first thread i saw when i clicked on the site was "ahoy maties" and i scrolled down and saw a "how many people can i have on my boat?" thread... i'll take 30 impeller and 50 teak threads over those two

:uglyhamme hahahaha

shepherd
02-28-2009, 01:06 AM
But for what it's worth, the CB version of the Ski Ray was very well reviewed in the WSM boat buyer's guide in 1993 (back when those reviews actually had some substance). By comparison to the 93 190 though, the rooster tail is huge on the Ski Ray at 22 off.

I remember those reviews. I thought about buying a Ski Ray when I was looking for my first true ski boat, mainly due to the good review it got in WSM. Decided on a used Prostar 190 instead. No regrets.

Muttley
02-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Easy there. Mine ain't ugly.

Your's is the exception. :D