PDA

View Full Version : In-Tank Fuel Filter Change

boatwake
05-15-2005, 06:09 PM
MYMC diagnosed a problem I had the last time out as potentially a clogged fuel filter. I have a 03' X2 with MCX. The fuel filter is in the tank. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, instructions, or better yet a series of photos on the servicing procedures.

For those interested:
The problem I was experiencing was a loss of power similar to running out of gas. Normally, I top off the tank on the way to the lake. Last week I did not. After a day of great skiing, on the way back to the ramp, the boat suddenly lost power as if I was out of gas. I had once read a post by MYMC never to run the in-tank fuel pumps dry so I instantly cut the engine to look at the tank. I had a third of a tank. I started the boat back up and everything seemed fine so we continued on. Just before the ramp the engine lost power again. It didn't die, but it lost a lot of power. I suspected the fuel pump or fuel pickup point. MYMC explained that I should first try changing the filter. He said that the filter really doesn't come into play until the tank gets below 1/2 full. Above 1/2 full the fuel by-passes the filter. It is only when you get below 1/2 full that most of the fuel is drawn through the filter. Not sure that I think much of the design, but the diagnosis seemed logical.

mtrask
05-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Fuel filteris pretty easy to do in the 209 with MCX. Just did mine. Uncovered the gas tank, unplugged the electrical plugs which can not be confused with each other. I unscrewed the brackets on the hoses leading up to the tank, around three of them.. I did not even disconnect the hoses themself. Unscrewed the screws around the fuel pump and removed the pump--lifting straight up.. My brother came into play hear. One of us held the pump and the other pulled the filter down. It was hard to pull down but, finally came off.

I don't know if this was a procedural job or by the book, but when we got into it, it was just kind of self explanitory.. One of my friends was surprised I did not have to remove the hoses.

P.S. I was replacing my filter for the same reason. I felt as though the filter was plogged. We had the same trouble at around a third of a tank.

good luck!!

boatwake
05-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Good info, thanks for the help.

Tom023
05-15-2005, 09:25 PM
I have the same in tank filter on my LTR but have never changed it. The dealer indicated, at least in my application, the fuel lines need to be removed using a special tool. It's not hard but you need the tool. I think he told me most auto parts stores carry it.

mtrask
05-17-2005, 12:33 AM
I understood the fuel lines should be removed as well. Point taken-

I only found out I could remove the fuel pump without removing the lines because I thought I had somehow put some rusty gas in my tank and wanted to wipe out the tank. So when I reoved the pump to change the filter I new I could do it without removing the lines. My good fortune I guess..

Bottom line is I would follow your owners manual, that would make you book smart!! I guess it is important that you do that for warranty purposes as well. It all worked out for us, though I have some mechanical background and my brother has this awsome set of tools!!

Good Luck