PDA

View Full Version : The house right next door to my daughter's house burned today

suedv
02-24-2009, 05:09 PM
At most there is only about 20' between my daughter's house (she is renting with a few college friends) and a house that burned to just a shell today. My daughter was in class but one of her roommates was home at the the time. Her roommate said she heard a loud bang and then a really warm rush of wind went through their house. The whole neighborhood smells like a wet burned house, but my daughter's house didn't burn.

Here is link (http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/02/grand_rapids_man_escapes_bemis.html)to the article in the paper. My daughter's house is the tan house you can see next to the one that burned. I'm thankful everyone is OK.

Maristar210
02-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Wow Sue glad she was not in harms way and glad no one was hurt...

Rockman
02-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Experienced a few similar situations and they are not fun.

Glad she and her roommates were not hurt.

JohnE
02-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Glad she's OK. I'm listening to the news right now and there was a house in NH that blew up today. And they don't think it was from gas????

suedv
02-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Glad she's OK. I'm listening to the news right now and there was a house in NH that blew up today. And they don't think it was from gas????

I don't know, but what freaks me out is my daughter's furnace stopped working a couple weeks ago and when the furnace repair person came they found that there was a gas leak and that's why her furnace didn't work... it wasn't getting the gas it needed. I'm really glad the furnace quit working because it could have blown up. The houses in the neighborhood she lives in are old and deferred maintenance in not unusual.

If they hadn't fixed the leak in her house (that the kids didn't realize they had) it probably would have blown up with all that fire next door.

wakeX2wake
02-24-2009, 05:39 PM
that happens all the time around here... they're called Meth Labs... no seriously glad everyone was ok

RexDog1
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Wow!! :eek3: I am happy she is ok, and no one was hurt,

House Fires Suck………………. :(

2RLAKE
02-24-2009, 06:24 PM
that's what i was thinking too ... glad everyone was OK. A girl I work with had her house burn last year ... two brave firemen died ... tragic. Although not the cause and not related to the fire, they had a pot room in the basement which was initially thought to be the cause ... it was not

JimN
02-24-2009, 06:44 PM

About the only thing that usually causes houses to explode without being natural gas is being a meth lab.

TMCNo1
02-24-2009, 06:57 PM
We're glad she and others are OK. Could have been like this house that exploded about 4 miles from us, http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=831_1232073982 and all the people had just got out right before it went boom!

shepherd
02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
About the only thing that usually causes houses to explode without being natural gas is being a meth lab.

Or a terrorist hideout.

("ooops." "BOOM!")

trickskier
02-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Glad to hear no one was hurt Sue!!!

chudson
02-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Sue, It's great to hear your daughter and everyones OK.