PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat cracks

Evan Jones
05-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Just finsihed waxing the boat to get her ready for action. Starting to notice quite a few spider web cracks around the exhaust outlets and the rudder and prop mounts. On an 8 year old boat, is this something I should expect or should I talk to someone about it. Some of them are 15+ inches long.

260 Hours on boat. Will be spending summers on a lift from now on when not in use.

Any suggestions?

André
05-15-2005, 04:39 PM
The lift will help a lot preventing water from penetrating deeper then the cracks surface and it will help the hull drying.
Hope it doesn't turn into blisters...

Tom023
05-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Doesn't sound normal to me, especially with the low use. Most spider cracks are only consmetic inconveniences, but since yours are below the water line, I would be concerned about water intrusion to the fiberglass layer. Some cracks are easy to fix, others are signs of more serious structural problems. It might be wise to have a knowledgeable fiberglass shop have a look.

east tx skier
05-15-2005, 11:25 PM
I've heard of some boats developing cracks. Others not. My 93 does not have any spider cracks to date (knock wood). I'd have it checked out by your local glass guy.

JEREMY79
05-15-2005, 11:35 PM
I would definantly have them checked out. Water can seep through the cracks and cause major problems. But cosmetic cracks are no big deal except the looks.

Evan Jones
05-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Local fiberglass shop as opposed to my MC dealer? MCs warranty is a bit vague. Is this something that might be covered? Should I just keep an extra coat of wax on it?

JEREMY79
05-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Ask your dealer if it is covered by warranty. If not a good fiberglass shop that is reputible can do the work for you. Just make sure they know what they are doing.

east tx skier
05-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Sorry, I'm so far out of warranty land that I don't think of that much. Check with the dealer first. Usually, a dealer will farm out its glass work anyway. Just get references. Some glass folks are better than others.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-25-2005, 10:25 AM
I think it should still be under warranty. If the cracks are in the gel coat on the hull, they should cover them. I would think it may depend on the customer service of you dealer. Gel coat cracks are somewhat common on lesser quality brand boats, not on Mastercrafts.

JB3
06-11-2005, 12:39 AM
I have a 96 PS190 and also have spider cracks around the exhaust outlet. Actually, one crack on each side of both outlets extending 6-8 inches. I had them checked out by a very reputable fiberglass guy. He said it was nothing to worry about. You can buy gel coat repair kits fairly cheap and is a simple project. If you find out about the warranty, pls post the results!

kentsmith12
06-23-2005, 05:39 PM
I have a '96 sammy duval - i keep it in a hoist system with two main straps holding the boat versus a craddle. Typically, my neighbors use craddles for thier ski boats, but I was told that MCs are well built and actually do just fine in a strap system. I've done this for the past 4 years with no problems. I happen to be in the water washing the sides of the boat last weekend and noticed some spider cracks just below the boat tow ring (used for the trailer; the boat hasn't been on the trailer in 4 years) but above the water line. I have never had any sprider cracks on the hull before. These look fairly significant; as they rise toward the top of the boat you can actually seem them under the decal stripe.

I know the boat hasn't been wrecked; although, the same weekend prior to washing the boat, I did take a little hit to the front left as i was docking (my wife looked at me like i had lost my marbles or something because I'm such a nut about keeping my boat off docks or at least docking them so safely- i doubt that could have done this. Regardless, the cracks are very new.

jimmer2880
06-24-2005, 05:53 AM
kentsmith - check your owners manual. There is a section specific to lifting your boat.

Personally - I love the cradles and will probably only ever use them. I think (but, I could be wrong) that may manual says not to use straps on my '95 PS190, but - like I said - I could be wrong.

dmac
06-24-2005, 07:52 AM
I changed out my lift system from straps to a cradle last fall when I bought the boat. It was after that that I read in the owners manual that the strap system is not the recommended lift of choice for my '04 MariStar. I hope that this keeps the spiders at bay.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
06-24-2005, 08:14 AM
I have a '96 sammy duval - i keep it in a hoist system with two main straps holding the boat versus a craddle. Typically, my neighbors use craddles for thier ski boats, but I was told that MCs are well built and actually do just fine in a strap system. I've done this for the past 4 years with no problems. I happen to be in the water washing the sides of the boat last weekend and noticed some spider cracks just below the boat tow ring (used for the trailer; the boat hasn't been on the trailer in 4 years) but above the water line. I have never had any sprider cracks on the hull before. These look fairly significant; as they rise toward the top of the boat you can actually seem them under the decal stripe.

Your lifting ring and bow eye are part of the same mechanism (threaded rod from the lifting point is connected to the bow eye). You could be putting extra stress on the back side of the bow eye by using this method of boat lift :twocents:

Farmer Ted
06-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Sorry, I'm so far out of warranty land that I don't think of that much. Check with the dealer first. Usually, a dealer will farm out its glass work anyway. Just get references. Some glass folks are better than others.

Especially if you're getting metalflake worked on.

east tx skier
06-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Kent, like LTskier said, check the manual. As I recall, you can use straps, but you need to be very specific as to length and width of the straps(not to mention the obvious placement issues with that underwater gear).