PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Love It?

wakeX2wake
02-24-2009, 03:53 PM
i started thinking about this earlier...

obviously everyone here loves being on the water or some aspect of it... other wise you wouldn't have invested the amount of money you have into a MasterCraft boat...

everyone has to have some part of it they love... weather its the family/friends being together, the sport aspect, a good place to unwind/party and relax, the chicks, the being out on a flashy boat, the tunes through a loaded down tower, or having your hand wrapped around 300+ (or in some cases 400+) horsepower... there's something that keeps you coming to the water

i think for me its a combination of things... i love wakeboarding and getting better at it and having something to progress at physically... i started thinking well maybe that's why i like golf too... i'll never be as good as the best in the world at either but it doesn't stop me from going 5 days a week... i honestly do enjoy pulling my boat through town and turning heads but that's not all of it... otherwise i'd never unhook it... then i started thinking about the crowd you're around and get to know on the water... they're mostly all good folks... almost everyone i've met through wakeboarding has been pretty cool... obviously there's the exceptions but when i meet someone playing golf who is generally a nice easy going and easy to get along w/ person (much like myself) that's more the exception (i keep comparing the two b/c they're my favorite extra curricular activities)... but more than anything when i'm on the water weather it's someone telling a funny story, i'm drinking a beer, or taking a set... its kind of like everything comes into perspective and all the BS is gone... i love it... i don't know how i've made it through this winter to be honest

so what's it for you?... this thread may be already over done but i'm kind of bored and figured this might make for a decent discussion...

flipper
02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
I like the bikinis

Sodar
02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
My love for the water is wide reaching and truly is my greatest passion in life. I love everything about the water and being around it. I think it stems from being a kid and the freedom it offered. As a kid, I could not ride my bike across Pacific Coast Highway, but I sure as heck could take my Boston Whaler as far as my 40hp Evinrude would take me.

Growing up, the water was the one place I could truly get away from it all. Even to this day, my girlfriend jokes that when I get on the water she can see the stress leave me. Whether it be out cruising, waterskiing or working on the boat, I find it therapeutic.

There are also the less sappy things like everyone looking at the boat, getting your buds together for a fun weekend, skiing like you never have before, watching the girls layout, etc.

scott023
02-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Although this will be my families first summer with a boat, I was (we were) attracted to the family aspect of it initially. We have relatives that have watercraft (pontoon boats, a couple of I/O),so my wife and I knoew we liked it on the water. So once the kids were old enough to get on the boat without crying, I wanted a boat. After spending a lot of time on here, I can see that there are plently of aspects of boating life I did not think about...these things have actually made me MORE excited for the summer. Taking friends out, getting the kids comfortable in the water (they love pools and the beach, we'll see if the depth of the water plays a part in their funout there, and for how long it does...:))

suedv
02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Time with the family, water is relaxing, and the view is so different from what you see on the shore.

sand2snow22
02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
My love for the water is wide reaching and truly is my greatest passion in life. I love everything about the water and being around it. I think it stems from being a kid and the freedom it offered. As a kid, I could not ride my bike across Pacific Coast Highway, but I sure as heck could take my Boston Whaler as far as my 40hp Evinrude would take me.

Growing up, the water was the one place I could truly get away from it all. Even to this day, my girlfriend jokes that when I get on the water she can see the stress leave me. Whether it be out cruising, waterskiing or working on the boat, I find it therapeutic.

There are also the less sappy things like everyone looking at the boat, getting your buds together for a fun weekend, skiing like you never have before, watching the girls layout, etc.

Well said Sodar......I only had a 5 hp Johnson.....I wasn't allowed to drive the 50 hp Johnson Fiberform ski boat.

wakeX2wake
02-24-2009, 04:59 PM
did i mention too that i don't think man is supposed to be able to stand on top of the water... sure you need a little pull from the boat but i think it's cool too...

i'm w/ you guys (sodar and sand2snow22)... i'm pretty sure having grown up on the water only makes it that much worse for me... i've always lived in the country but my folks had us out on the water every given chance in the '72 rinker... first time i "drove" the boat i couldn't walk... but seriously i was the regular driver in our family when i was 8 and could slalom ski when i was 6 or 7... back when ski belts were the rave

peason
02-24-2009, 05:06 PM
For me... I have always liked the water. Joined the swimteam when I was 7, my parents grew up on a farm and didn't have access to a lake or pool - they do not swim at all. Every day at 12:45, I was waiting for the lifeguards to open the pool, back then my parents never even went to the pool with us.
Now it's a family thing. We get on the water with boat and it feels like we are a million miles away from all of stress - not that I have a lot - just the everyday things. We are truly blessed to be able to move into a lake front home a couple of years ago - and I love looking out at the water - even when it's frozen. When we come back from a vacation -we always ask ourselves why we ever left!

2RLAKE
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I like the bikinis and beer reason myself.

I learned how to waterski in high school behind a Ski Nautique and thought it was awesome .. bought a boat in college and was hooked. I met my wife on a houseboat trip, she had just moved here to Cincinnati and loved to ski too ... so our dates were skiing 3-4 nights every week … and well ….. Now we have a house on a lake we built together 15 years ago and truly enjoy heading down there to be with friends. Our friends are our lake family. We don’t really take any friends to the lake because we have the best lake friends around … even prostar19

I love Sodar’s stress comment … exactly my thing. I have a fairly high stress job and heading to the lake puts everything in perspective … I’m truly refreshed heading back home

Now with the kids its even better … although they are taking away my own water time its great to see them progressing

Only a couple more months … only a couple more months …

Sodar
02-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Well said Sodar......I only had a 5 hp Johnson.....I wasn't allowed to drive the 50 hp Johnson Fiberform ski boat.

It was a slow progression to the Whaler. I started out in a 10' Avon with a 3.5hp Johnson. I grew up going to Catalina as a kid.

I can still remember the boundries coming from my mom:

"I do not want you going past Mooring 241 or 245, nothing past Endless Summer (the boat behind my parents') and do not go outside the harbor"...

"OK MOM!"

One day, I was over near the jetty of the harbor looking at the fish when a big surge came in a pushed me toward a rock. The prop hit and stripped the shaft on my 3.5 horse. It was time to upgrade!

I moved up to an 9.9hp Evinrude on an 11' Avon... the thing would do an easy 20 mph and I swear rode better than my Whaler ever did. I used to go out and wait for the ferry to come in and hop the wakes with everyone standing on the back deck watching. We still have this boat in storage to this day.

When I was 8, I got the Whaler... man that was too cool. It had a steering wheel and everything (no more tiller). That was the beginning of the end. By 10 I was taking the thing out as far as I could until I could not see land on the horizon. By 12 I would leave the dock at home at dawn and shoot for the island (22 miles each way). Until I got caught at the island by a storm... I had to call my parents and tell what I dumbarse I had been... never been so scared in my life.

There are really very few good stories that I have that do not involve boats, the ocean or the river. They bring out the best and the scariest times of my life.

scott023
02-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I envy you guys that grew up on the water... we lived in the city and my folks didn't have an interest in the lake, asd they both grew up on farms. I have loved the water fro as long as I can remember, hopefully in 20 years my kids will be on here telling stories like yours...
(except they may be a little more spoiled than some of you... starting with a 24ft 450hp MasterCraft):):):)

sand2snow22
02-24-2009, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=2RLAKE;576625]

I love Sodar’s stress comment … exactly my thing. I have a fairly high stress job and heading to the lake puts everything in perspective … I’m truly refreshed heading back home
QUOTE]

Wife gets upset when I'm more excited to go on the boat than spending time with her :rolleyes:

mccobmd
02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I grew up behing a 1973 Trisonic inboard/ouboard 165hp and looked like a fishing lure with a slalom to get up. Our whole family went down at least one whole day every weekend. We did it all ( no tubing in those days). One summer we went to Florida and the Cypress Garden show and I saw the jump boats. I knew one day I'd own a Mastercraft and a red Ferrari (Magnum PI fan). God has blessed me with the boat of my dreams (with the girl of my dreams driving in the avitar). I asked Him about the Ferrari and I'm pretty sure he's still laughing. Just like Sodar everyone thinks I'm a different person on the water.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-24-2009, 05:51 PM
The water has always been a big part of my life. I learned how to ski at 10 years old behind a relatives 15' Alumacraft fishing boat with a 20 horse Johnson. The rest of the family and I were hooked. My father bought a Mark 28 Mercury and we were set for a few years. We then moved up to a 1960 Alumacraft Queen 16 with a 75 horse Johnson. I would ski every chance I could get someone to take me. The memories of restoring that old Queen 16 with my father are held close to my heart. It was a labor of love having the boat down to work on for a couple weeks with no skiing, but I remember how thrilled I was when my father suggested when we were about half way done that we could put the drivers seat in and take it out for an afternoons ski run. My son is as addicted to the water as I am, and can't wait to get out behind the Mastercraft for the first time (we bought it too late in the season last year to take it out). I guess where I'm going with this is how close it brings the family. Too many families are going too many different directions. Our direction seems to be to the lake, or to work on the boat. And a huge side benefit is when your kid is spending most of his waking hours wakeboarding, thinking about wakeboarding, or getting the boat ready to go wakeboarding, he is a whole lot less likely to be getting in trouble.

Gonzo
02-24-2009, 05:57 PM
This ones easy.... this is what I get out of it....
I used to feel the same way when I learned something new, still do I guess.

TMCNo1
02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Good people, good times and great adventures!

barefoot
02-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Water has always been a part of my life. Dad grew up on a lake. Mom’s parents had a cabin on the same lake. Spent a lot of time at grandma’s house and most of the summer on the Rock River skiing with an amateur show ski team. Five to seven days a week we were down at the river skiing during the summer. First tow boat I skied behind was a 1990 prostar which, in my opinion, is why my first inboard was a MasterCraft.

I was spoiled on the ski team…we got brand new boats and new equipment every year. We skied and worked hard, and I kind of got burned out from it. I started loosing my appreciation to be on the water.

I really started to appreciate the water again in college. My best friend’s parents had a big o’ Sea Ray. We started to take it out and I started re-skiing again…this time, on a recreational basis. I realized I missed the water, the people, hanging out with friends and above all, skiing.

I really got excited about being on the water. I started barefooting again and my buddy had never known someone that could do it. I told him inboards were the way to go if you wanted to step it up so I got him stoked about skiing behind an inboard. He never had…it had always been behind a big stern drive. First time he did, he never turned back. He bought an inboard the following year.

That summer is when it started to become a life style thing. I was ‘retired’ and starting my business so I had a little free time in the afternoon when my buddy got off work. The more we were out on the lake, the more people we met. The more people we met, the more I wanted to be on the water. It was relaxing and fun. I always have a smile on my face.

My parents retired to ‘grandmas’ house on the lake. They remodeled and rebuilt the house and they were able to retire where they met. They, too, have a greater appreciation for the water now.

I fell in love on a lake. My girlfriend grew up on the water as well. The first date we had was a ski date. I’ll never forget that day…it was summer solstice. The water became a big part of our lives after that.

So what is it? It’s a life style for me. I would have it no other way. I believe lake people are happier people. There is a calming effect to the water. Beer, bikinis, sun, and boats are great, but look at all the smiles. Everyone is having fun. For all the boat launch bloopers, lake patrol tickets, Walley’s, and fishermen sitting in the best water, there are always a thousand more positive stories to be told, more ski runs to be had, and one more day of love on the lake.

I’m training my little one to say MasterCraft…right now it’s more like MasterQuaft, but she’s two. I’m sure by this summer, when she’s on the boat, she’ll have a big smile on her face. That’s when she’ll learn where true love is found…on the water.

h2oskifreak
02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Turning a bouy and feeling 5 of 6 balls hitting my thigh. The acceleration I feel out of the ball; through the second wake with my shoulder just off the water. The feeling of time going in slow motion when skiing well and the feeling of catching up when behind. Just like golf- it's the good passes that keep you wanting more.

damaged442
02-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I grew up going to a lake in the Adirondacks in NY. The camp has been in my family since the 1940s. I started skiing behind a red and while aluminum boat with a 1966 35 hp Johnson, the red one with dials on the front. It spit as much gas in the water as it used. We then went to a 1970 something fiberglass pile of garbage with a huge 75 HP Johnson. This boat took half the lake to plane off. It was about this time I witnessed my first MasterCraft. It was about 1985-86. I decided at this point, at 10-11 years old, that I needed an MC. We ended up getting an 87 Starline 150 Sierra. I blew the 120 HP 2.5L 4 times so far because all we did was tow people with it. My parents still have it, because they put so much into it replacing engines. They don't use it much anymore, as they have a son that purchased a boat that was actually made to tow people. I finally got what I needed. It's hard to say what drew me to the water. It was the only thing I felt I could actually do well. I could ski or kneeboard better than I could play football or basketball or whatever. I think that's what did it. I started wakeboarding at about 20. This summer I will be wakeboarding for 14 years. I'm no pro, I don't throw inverts, but when I get out there, it's just me and the sound of my little 351. I don't think about BS at work, or the kids giving me a hard time, or how I'm going to pay the bills. It's just me and my MC. It still makes me feel like I did when I first started. I would rather be on the lake in crappy 40 degree weather than at home in the 80s. I hope to hell my kids get the bug too, only they get to learn behind a much better boat than I did. There isn't a bad thing about it!

SouthWaker
02-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I love it because the boat, the sun shine and cold water, the feeling after a good set, the smell of steaks on a charcoal grill, and spending time with family. But above all I love sitting on the dock in my hammock with my finger jammed from drying off the boat, sun burned, sore, stomach hurting from to much steak, and a cold beer right out the cooler. Why I love that misery more than anything I do not know.

Chief
02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Good people, good times and great adventures!

What he said.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-24-2009, 11:24 PM
like the Cream song says, "Strange brew, doing what's inside of you".

Monte
02-25-2009, 12:13 AM

Need I say more?:cool:

JohnE
02-25-2009, 08:55 AM
How the hell did I miss getting in that picture at the house? Was it just for the racing fans?:o

Monte
02-25-2009, 08:57 AM
How the hell did I miss getting in that picture at the house? Was it just for the racing fans?:o

I believe you were doing power turns:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
02-25-2009, 09:00 AM

How's this?

Monte
02-25-2009, 09:05 AM
How's this?

WTH why did John an Monica dissappear in my picture:confused:

TMCNo1
02-25-2009, 09:10 AM
WTH why did John an Monica dissappear in my picture:confused:

Leah was taking the pictures and somehow JohnE and Monica didn't get in the first couple!

wakeX2wake
02-25-2009, 10:31 AM
i think i was a little bred for this stuff too... and no i don't mean i'm one of those a-holes who can just strap on a board and try inverts the first time out... my parents whole dating scene in the summer-ish months was at the lake... they met in college at the baptist student union and after their first date (which was to a nitty gritty dirt band concert) my mom asked my dad to come w/ her and the fam to the lake... my dad couldn't swim at this point hahahaha... anyways he soon learned to ski and was hooked too... a long time later my mom won a slalom competition 3 or 4 months pregnant w/ me w/ 6 balls at 15 off... i felt justified when i finally was able to out ski my mom in her hay day... sad thing is... i never was able to do much more than that

pkskier
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
I have always been around the water, learned to ski when I was 5, to slalom when I was 6. My daughter (21) has pretty much done the same thing. I love it because your family is with you and in a boat they can't get very far from you or go to their room and hide out. The friends we have made on the water are our best friends and everyone we meet are really good people. As has been said before, getting away from everything and leaving all your stresses in life on land and then there's that whole bikini and beer thing.

sand2snow22
02-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Anybody see the "On a boat" video on youtube? Warning: It's not work/family appropriate, but IMO pretty funny. I will raise the bikinis to mermaids!

Dapicatti beat me to it:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=575674&postcount=130

Muttley
02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I grew up on the water. Dad was into fishing. I HATED fishing. I was bored stupid, but I love ripping around on the boat. I always new I wanted a boat but couldn't justify it as I never thought about skiing.

When I moved into my house in '90 our neighbour had an '89 Malibu Euro f3. He was always looking for someone to go with to drive and spot. Next thing I knew I had a pro vest, $900 ski, wet and dry suit, wakeboard... all the gear. The last piece was my own boat.

That old boat became such an integral part of our lives it was amazing. It totally changed how we vacationed. Suddenly weekend camping trips became water ski trips. All our other friends learned to enjoy the boat, the tubing, all the kids learned to kneeboard... It actually gave us purpose. Suddenly we were doing something fun. It was healthy excercise instead of sitting on the beach drinking tequila and orange juice from 9 am until we passed out at midnight.

As the kids got a little older, they lost interest for a while. My bud sold his Malibu and bought a Harley, so no more tourney boat. I got into motorcycling as well because it was getting harder and harder to get people to ski with. We still vacationed around my little Swiftsure, but we'd gone from almost 100 hours a year down to under 20. In 2007, we didn't use the boat at all. Plus, I was doing all the work. Loading, unloading, maintaining... I started to resent it. It was easier to just hop on the bike. I figured I was done, so I it up for sale.

Once the boat sold, both my wife and daughter ganged up on me and said "Your buying another one, right?"

"Um, hadn't planned on it. We hardley get out any more." In my mind, I did miss it, but wasn't about to get into the trap where I was doing everything and everybody would whine about me "making" them go. It turns out they didn't realize what they had until it was gone.

So I cut a deal. They help load, wipe the boat down, no more whining and I'll buy another boat. And this time I'm getting the boat "I" want (although the daughter specified a bowrider). I'm still amazed that my wife actually made me buy a boat!

So far, so good. We got some use out of it last year. Everyone is looking forward to getting out again this year. We have a few new friends that are into boating. Even the daughter's boyfriend is learning to wakeboard.

...and I get to own this really cool boat!:D

tbd01
02-25-2009, 02:46 PM
easin through the mornin fog, water lappin at the sides of the boat, sound of a v8 idleing through the cove, watchin my son say a short prayer before he eases off the platform, for the first set of the mornin.......that does it for me!

cbryan70
02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
That about sums it up for me

corey
02-25-2009, 05:37 PM
There are really only two places where I can totally zen out, one is on a chairlift and the other is on a boat. Not sure why but they both allow me to fully relax and let my mind be free of all the normal clutter.

pbloss
02-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I love glass and early at the gates, I love a slight ripple when barefoot. I love the wub wub of vintage Mastercraft in idle. I love to show off,but also teach and watch other people enjoy. I love the lines of a ski boat sitting off dock, any ski boat. Most of all I love the funny stuff and my family.

Pat

loeweb
02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
I truly have to say that just being on the water does it for me. Someone else already said it "the view from the water is so much different than that from shore." To me, it doesn't matter if it's friends, family, or jetskiers. The time on the water is better than any other time I know. There is nothing better than trying to ski your a$$ off, getting back to the boat, and no matter how good or bad the driving, someone always says what a good job you did. I love that part of it even if I know I look like an unfolding lawn chair trying to lumber through the course.
A quote we always use is "it just doesn't get any better than this."

funk
02-26-2009, 03:12 PM
First of all, great thread. I think about this all the time. Why do I like being around/on the water so much. I grew up near the beach so we were either in the ocean or out at Canyon Lake every weekend. Grew up with a small sabot sailboat, 12ft valco aluminum boat, and an old Kona with a 115hp outboard. We skied, fished, and sailed the afternoons away. Grew up with a pool and have always had one to this day. I love it. The idea of being in my boat, on the water, is what I live for. Being there is even better. Just as everyone else states, a true calmness when nothing else matters. (except bottle-opener reefs on the seats)J/K. Anyway, love the water, boating, and everything that comes with it.

For us near the ocean, some say that both the ocean and one's blood is 70% salt, I think it's our source and true home.

PA Prostar
02-27-2009, 08:37 AM
I love glass and early at the gates, I love a slight ripple when barefoot. I love the wub wub of vintage Mastercraft in idle. I love to show off,but also teach and watch other people enjoy. I love the lines of a ski boat sitting off dock, any ski boat. Most of all I love the funny stuff and my family.

Pat

I just have to say I love the wub too!!!

chudson
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM

Pat

I just have to say I love the wub too!!!

I second that, I love "The Wub Wub" too !!!

And I'll also second "Great Thread wakeX2wake" good job, really enjoying reading everyones stories!!!