PDA

View Full Version : Build your own Fresh Air Exhaust?

jbanczak
02-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm thinking about picking up one of these devices - http://www.freshairexhaust.com/. It pains me that this is going to run near $500 though, without any fancy covering on it.

Curious if anyone has tried to build one of these on their own?

Sodar
02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Support those who have created the design and offer the customer support to the consumer. Boat stands for "Break Out Another Thousand", right?

RexDog1
02-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Support those who have created the design and offer the customer support to the consumer. Boat stands for "Break Out Another Thousand", right?

I agree…. I have put a Fresh Air system on one on a friend’s boat … well built, and fit nicely :D right out of the box, I would get one for my boat but I don’t surf allot, what I did like is it cuts down the exhaust sound ………..:D

6ballsisall
02-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Tru Dat!

I'd think one would spend about as much time building one of their own as it costs to buy the kit (your time is worth something)

jbanczak
02-24-2009, 11:37 AM

That is for certain... I'll likely buy one - it isn't the money - it would seem like a cool project. I'm currently installing my own ballast system, already did my tower, and have been thinking what else I can do while my boat is in the driveway.

I did look up the CDC study on CO poisining. This device certainly has an impact to someone behind the boat. However, the CDC study showed that 10ft behind the boat the CO level was less than 20PPM. It wasn't clear if this was surface level (on the water) or at head-height (which is what matters). The device reduced it to 3PPM. In the boat, it had a neglibile impact, in some cases increasing it.

The question is whether 18PPM is bad. The answer to that seems to be "no" according to info I could find - that it isn't a problem until above 50PPM for 8 hours of exposure. Here is an interesting link: http://www.cosafety.org/docs/consumer.pdf. Notice that 9PPM is the level found on busy city streets (which a lot of us spend all day in). So is 18PPM for a few wakesurf sessions bad? Doesn't seem so - even if you are spending 1/2 hour back there once a week - that is hardly "chronic" exposure.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it doesn't seem like this really would be a problem? Not to take away from the effectiveness of the device - I've been on boats with them and if nothing else like the noise reduction.

Some of the info:

What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide or CO is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. Due to this fact, it is very hard to detect the presence of CO in your environment. It is, however, imperative that the CO levels in your home are carefully monitored. Even at relatively low levels, CO is poisonous because it rapidly accumulates in the blood thereby depleting its ability to carry oxygen. Extreme cases of CO poisoning result in death.
http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/fireplace2.jpgWhere does carbon monoxide come from?
CO is a common by product of the combustion of fossil fuels. When properly installed and maintained, most fuel burning equipment (natural gas, propane or oil) will produce insignificant amounts of CO.
At what level does carbon monoxide become toxic?
For healthy adults, CO becomes toxic when it reaches a level higher than 50 ppm (parts per million) with continuous exposure over an eight hour period.. When the level of CO becomes higher than that, a person will suffer from symptoms of exposure. Mild exposure over a few hours (a CO level between 70 ppm and 100 ppm) include flu-like symptoms such as headaches, sore eyes and a runny nose. Medium exposure (a CO level between 150 ppm to 300 ppm) will produce dizziness, drowsiness and vomiting. Extreme exposure (a CO level of 400 ppm and higher) will result in unconsciousness, brain damage and death.
How to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning
- have a qualified technician install and regularly inspect all fuel burning appliances
- regularly inspect fireplaces and chimneys to insure proper ventilation
- never use a gas or charcoal barbeque indoors
- never start a car or gas run lawnmower or snow blower in a closed garage.
- install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.

iplount
02-24-2009, 02:53 PM
I put one of these on my 08 x15. It did two things for me. Really cut down the exhaust noise which is great. Second added piece of mind that my kids and anyone else surfing behind the boat are fine in terms of the CO poisining. So, while your info and questions about CO PPM etc. above may or may not be valid I prefer to be safe than sorry. Noise reduction alone was worth the 500 bucks. Just my 2 cents.

jbanczak
02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm sure there is some value to it. I actually read the entire CDC report on FAE. There is some benefit - no doubt - although it appears that it only impacts wake surfers for the most part, the benefit in CO terms is debatable, and I don't have an extra five hundy!

swatguy
02-26-2009, 12:24 AM
I know of several people on Wakeworld that have made their own in shop class. The FAE is a very simple design that does the trick.

I own one and I will say it has done wonders to quiet down my boat. It is very noticeable in the cabin and also on the end of the 80ft line. It has helped me to hear my budget tower speakers more clearly as well. If you want my opinion......worth every penny for me. IT does have an annoying spray that jumps up when running at certain speeds on the transom. However it does not affect the boarding/surfing wake at all. People who have been on the boat and surfed behind it notice a huge difference......especially the guy/gal handling the rope. Can't comment on the ski wake, but I have run WOT a bunch of times and the design is rock solid. Gary was great to deal with and their customer service has been top notch. He will answer any questions you have.

As to the CO debate..........it just redirects for sure if you ask me which allows less to reach the rider. Any reduction is good. Stats can always be manipulated, but every little bit counts if you ask myself with 2 little ones.

Maristar210
02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
I could make this easy and for waaaay less than $446. That's just ripping people off in my opinion. No way that thing costs more than $100 to make, no way. Just like the $300 swim platform brackets I made for $40 and three hours of my time....

flipper
02-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I could make this easy and for waaaay less than $446. That's just ripping people off in my opinion. No way that thing costs more than $100 to make, no way. Just like the $300 swim platform brackets I made for $40 and three hours of my time....

$40 parts + three hours of your time.....so about $41 total is what they should be worth. Free shipping if you go through pram

Sodar
02-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Whip up a stainless version, Steve-OOOOOOOOOOOO!

Maristar210
02-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Whip up a stainless version, Steve-OOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don't really surf that often so I have never needed to make them.... ;)

You should see the stainless mailbox I am making.....

larrymann
02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
From Larry Mann, inventor and owner of Fresh Air Exhaust

The Carbon Monoxide levels for the wakesurfer are generally quite low, with or without FAE. The concern isn't so much for the wakesurfer; it is the people sitting in the back of the boat. The worst case scenario for pulling Carbon Monoxide into the boat is to drive slowly with the rear of the boat heavy so the bow rises (wakesurfing). I have measured Carbon Monoxide levels on the engine cover of a V-Drive boat (where many people sit while someone else is wakesurfing) in excess of 500 ppm. This level of Carbon Monoxide is an immediate threat to health. During this test, the levels in the back seat of the boat were about 180 ppm (still a very high level).

MC Platinum: The materials alone that go into making a FAE significantly exceeds the $100 you claim to be able to build one for (and we pay wholesale for our materials - made in America). If you wish to build your own though, since FAE is patented, please contact us first to purchase a license).

Thank you

Maristar210
02-26-2009, 12:02 PM
From Larry Mann, inventor and owner of Fresh Air Exhaust

The Carbon Monoxide levels for the wakesurfer are generally quite low, with or without FAE. The concern isn't so much for the wakesurfer; it is the people sitting in the back of the boat. The worst case scenario for pulling Carbon Monoxide into the boat is to drive slowly with the rear of the boat heavy so the bow rises (wakesurfing). I have measured Carbon Monoxide levels on the engine cover of a V-Drive boat (where many people sit while someone else is wakesurfing) in excess of 500 ppm. This level of Carbon Monoxide is an immediate threat to health. During this test, the levels in the back seat of the boat were about 180 ppm (still a very high level).

MC Platinum: The materials alone that go into making a FAE significantly exceeds the $100 you claim to be able to build one for (and we pay wholesale for our materials - made in America). If you wish to build your own though, since FAE is patented, please contact us first to purchase a license).

Thank you

I disagree and your design has nothing but room for improvement. Don't worry about patent infringement. Your stuff aint worth copying... AND I did not ask the question sir. the original poster is the one who is trying to decide if he will be making his own so keep your patent crap

As for your sudden, self serving appearance well sir this site is for MasterCraft owners and if you are not one please leave us be..

6ballsisall
02-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock...........:popcorn::popcorn:

Maristar210
02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
On second thought Larry you might be right. Looks to me like you have $50 in hose clamps alone on that air restricter with the three piece welded desgn flawed corners.

I see Larry owns a TIGE so that explains a lot...

Sodar
02-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Do these hunks of PVC and Metal void your warranty?

Maristar210
02-26-2009, 12:21 PM
ask Phil....8p

6ballsisall
02-26-2009, 12:22 PM
ask Phil....8p

Good idea. He is still in charge of the DS right?:confused:

JohnE
On second thought Larry you might be right. Looks to me like you have $50 in hose clamps alone on that air restricter with the three piece welded desgn flawed corners.

Steve, he was talking to MC Platinum:D

I bet I could make one with plumbing pvc for under $50...

Maristar210
Good idea. He is still in charge of the DS right?:confused:

yeah and ahhh yeah... well yeah that's right...

Maristar210
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
hey is this the same guy who sells that detergent stuff at 3 in the morning, you know... Billy Mays?

Maristar210
02-26-2009, 12:26 PM
double post

JohnE
02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I think Larry has left the building....

Maristar210
02-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Maybe he went to have lunch with Ron Popeil from Ronco....

Monte
02-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Maybe he went to have lunch with Ron Popeil from Ronco....

The Shamwow guy is a MUCH better salesman IMHO:rolleyes:

Jesus_Freak
02-26-2009, 12:58 PM
... FAE is patented...

Hello again Larry. Your site says, "patent pending". Has the patent issued? This is an important distinction. :)

Note: Per previous conversations, I have no time to study/build anything related to this; I am just curious for the sake of the current discussion.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Hey, don't forget Vince at Slap Chop, he likes to go out to lunch too!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Looks like the years are catching up to Ron.

Monte
02-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Hey, don't forget Vince at Slap Chop, he likes to go out to lunch too!

That is the shamwow guy.. In case you were wondering:cool:

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2009, 01:28 PM
That is the shamwow guy.. In case you were wondering:cool:

I must be doing a good job of ignoring the commercials if I didn't realize he was double-dipping.

Maristar210
02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Seriously is not Mr. Larry in violation of the user agreement by promoting his product on MC's nickel?

Why yes I believe he is....

Monte
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I thought we were discussing infomercial hosts:rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
I thought we were discussing infomercial hosts:rolleyes:

Just try to find a picture of Anthony Sullivan, the Point & Paint guy. Not as easy as you would think.

Monte
02-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Never have seen that one

RexDog1
02-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I am down with

The SNUGGIE

https://www.freesnuggie.com/Default.aspx?MID=528665

Don’t ask me what the person in the top left photo is doing???

flipper
02-26-2009, 02:45 PM

Those are some nice hose clamps:D

flipper
02-26-2009, 02:49 PM
IMO they don't look built well enough to make it worth copying.

Sodar
02-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Why not weld the pieces together? I could see leaving a hose clamp joint in the event of hitting something, so it does not cause any damage to the boat... even though I think the prop and strut would take the brunt of the damage....

flipper
02-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Not only that, but it's got to kill the performance from restriction, and he welded angles in it. Can we say tube bender?

03 35th Anniversary
02-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Not only that, but it's got to kill the performance from restriction, and he welded angles in it. Can we say tube bender?

The pipe is to big around to put that sharp of a 90 degree bend in it plus you can't put 2 bends like that, that close together in that size pipe. The pipe will collapse....

Actaully you can bend the pipe but you have to fill it with sand first...

KnoxX2
02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I think someone with a tube bender and flange kit could make a better design.

Maristar210
02-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Also.. why make it two into one?

Come out and go on an angle less that 90 down to the water? :confused: That would make it an bolt on to fit all applications. :confused:

My guess is this design is made to be modular so the elbows remain the same. Just a guess. I'd be surprised if a patent was actaully granted for that.

We have a patent on this baby, not that I know anything about welding or machining :rolleyes:

The radius is 12 x 12 tube in four sections. That's a 30 inch step ladder in front.

flipper
02-26-2009, 03:33 PM
The pipe is to big around to put that sharp of a 90 degree bend in it plus you can't put 2 bends like that, that close together in that size pipe. The pipe will collapse....

Actaully you can bend the pipe but you have to fill it with sand first...

Looks like he has two pipes, and you could bend it. The bend doesn't have to be that tight

brucemac
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
maristar, you still up for making me something? it's looking a little ghetto using the l-brackets that came with it. i'll shoot you a pm.

KnoxX2
02-26-2009, 03:59 PM

Come out and go on an angle less that 90 down to the water? That would make it an bolt on to fit all applications.

My guess is this design is made to be modular so the elbows remain the same. Just a guess. I'd be surprised if a patent was actaully granted for that.

We have a patent on this baby, not that I know anything about welding or machining

The radius is 12 x 12 tube in four sections. That's a 30 inch step ladder in front.

:rolleyes:I Guess you don't know anything about Fab or welding do you?8p;)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-26-2009, 06:03 PM
If I order in the next 10 minutes, do they double my order and throw in the free set of Ginsu knives?

Ric
02-26-2009, 06:33 PM
That looks like a helluva bubbler. How's it sound?
no compromise in backpressure ?

Ric
02-26-2009, 06:35 PM
kkkkkkkkkkkkk Gawd I admire you. Also.. why make it two into one?

Come out and go on an angle less that 90 down to the water? :confused: That would make it an bolt on to fit all applications. :confused:

We have a patent on this baby, not that I know anything about welding or machining :rolleyes:

02-26-2009, 07:34 PM
kkkkkkkkkkkkk Gawd I admire you.

somebody's buckin for a promotion.

6ballsisall
02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
If I order in the next 10 minutes, do they double my order and throw in the free set of Ginsu knives?

Good thinking Donnie. Are you heading up the group buy on this one too?

02-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Good thinking Donnie. Are you heading up the group buy on this one too?

No, never, never.

6ballsisall
02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
No, never, never.

They seem like a good addition to Ricci's Set Screw and Costas sales program. No?

thatsmrmastercraft
02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
If you really want to limit the emissions at the rear of the boat, wouldn't you have individual downpipes on each ehaust outlet turned down and out away from the boat instead of concentrating the exhaust in the center?

Chief
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
I disagree and your design has nothing but room for improvement. Don't worry about patent infringement. Your stuff aint worth copying... AND I did not ask the question sir. the original poster is the one who is trying to decide if he will be making his own so keep your patent crap

As for your sudden, self serving appearance well sir this site is for MasterCraft owners and if you are not one please leave us be..

http://magred.net/forum/images/smilies/clap.gif http://magred.net/forum/images/smilies/atyou.gif

Well said.................

cbryan70
02-26-2009, 09:38 PM
I wonder why he hasnt come back?

Ryan
02-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Looks like the years are catching up to Ron.

I met Ron Popeil at a restaurant in Scottsdale AZ not long ago...I'll just say that he is VERY photogenic cuz in person he's one creapy unnaturally dark haired dude.

JohnE
02-26-2009, 09:54 PM
You out there Larrry???!!

swatguy
02-27-2009, 12:16 AM
I love all you guys who are slammin this guy. I m in no way affiliated with Larry....

So were are all your suped up 10 times better FAE's? Are they hitting the market yet? You guys have them done yet? How many of you actually own one or have any experience with one? There are reasons for the clamps that obviously none of you have thought about or have experience with. Ever held one in your hands or dissected it apart? Ever install one? THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT! YOUR COMMENTS ARE MEANINGLESS.

So lets see.............HMMMMM where again is your superior product? Call me when it hits the market. **** you guys wanna talk about $$$......... Check out all you MC options, 3times what normal things go for(same exact product) to have the MC logo/name etched in. I love when people with 0 experience or 0 knowledge of a product chime in on how terrible/good it is.

RANT OUT

Holman J.B.F
02-27-2009, 03:51 AM
My winterprojects a FAE and 2th ballast system X-star

I build my own not because of the so called fresh air,but just because i want that **** LY6 exhaust noise gone.As seen on WW i made one out of epoxy.I tested it last saterday and it works.It needs some minor adjustments but at last there was silence..finally.

I don,t know if Mr Larry FAE has a world wide patent.I,m from the netherlands and we will see what happens.
I builded mine before he quote a license fee.

sizzler
02-27-2009, 05:22 AM
I love all you guys who are slammin this guy. I m in no way affiliated with Larry....

So were are all your suped up 10 times better FAE's? Are they hitting the market yet? You guys have them done yet? How many of you actually own one or have any experience with one? There are reasons for the clamps that obviously none of you have thought about or have experience with. Ever held one in your hands or dissected it apart? Ever install one? THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT! YOUR COMMENTS ARE MEANINGLESS.

So lets see.............HMMMMM where again is your superior product? Call me when it hits the market. **** you guys wanna talk about $$$......... Check out all you MC options, 3times what normal things go for(same exact product) to have the MC logo/name etched in. I love when people with 0 experience or 0 knowledge of a product chime in on how terrible/good it is.

RANT OUT

its an open forum for discussion.......not for advertising your own products,if i recall correctly..does MC endorse this product for use on its boats??? does it affect any warranty issues and does the engines exhaust mapping need to be altered to handle the extra suppression of the exhaust????does MC allow for advertising of un-affiliated products???

as for worldwide patent....i dont think so.......

JohnE
02-27-2009, 07:16 AM

If the comments are meaningless, then why are your panties in a bunch?

My superior product is in the plumbing aisle of home depot.

Now, instead of ranting, why don't you enlighten me about how good this product is?

Maristar210
02-27-2009, 07:53 AM

RANT OUT

Hey SwatGuy

I agree MC stuff is pricey, no doubt about it but I also think its worth it unlike FAE's 12 pack of beer design. What this guy has developed could be made from a slection of items from any home improvement store or pipe supply company. You want me to produce one just for that reason?

How about I make you some nice swim platform brackets instead? At least these are challenging....

Ric
02-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Hey SwatGuy

I agree MC stuff is pricey, no doubt about it but I also think its worth it unlike FAE's 12 pack of beer design. What this guy has developed could be made from a slection of items from any home improvement store or pipe supply company. You want me to produce one just for that reason?

How about I make you some nice swim platform brackets instead? At least these are challenging....
anybody know a good welder

Chief
02-27-2009, 08:04 AM

RANT OUT

Cricket noises.................................... I guess a nerve has been struck. It's about that time in the winter that some feelings get hurt and some Mod is gonna have to get us all unscrewed.

I love my MC etched products, what's on "yours"?

Chief
02-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Hey SwatGuy

Now those are nice! I know where to go if I need a set. What the heck did you do to the other ones?

Maristar210
02-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Now those are nice! I know where to go if I need a set. What the heck did you do to the other ones?

Well Chief that's my brother in laws X10. His son hit the teak platform at about 15 or 20 while trying to do a dock fly by on the sea-doo. He was 14 at the time IIRC and it was a stupid move. He ripped one of the brackets clean from the teak and when the brackets were priced out he came calling to me asking for a favor. Since he lets us use his place on Walloon lake in the summer I was more than happy to help.

How many days? 56?

Maristar210
02-27-2009, 08:40 AM
anybody know a good welder

No, I know 30 of them

TMCNo1
02-27-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm working on a system as we speak, called "French Drain Exhaust",

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM

RANT OUT

You clearly don't know what Mari or Ric do for a living.................:rolleyes:

BTW, GENE??? Is that you?

JohnE
02-27-2009, 08:56 AM
You clearly don't know what Mari or Ric do for a living.................:rolleyes:

Standup and sunglasses?

brucemac
02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
hey, i need some new shades. what was the name of those sunglasses?

6ballsisall
02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Standup and sunglasses?

Precisely. Don't forget the set screw side bidniz

Ric
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
I invented SWAT

RANT OUT

Ric
02-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Well Chief that's my brother in laws X10. His son hit the teak platform at about 15 or 20 while trying to do a dock fly by on the sea-doo. He was 14 at the time IIRC and it was a stupid move. He ripped one of the brackets clean from the teak and when the brackets were priced out he came calling to me asking for a favor. Since he lets us use his place on Walloon lake in the summer I was more than happy to help.

How many days? 56?
chief, I bet you thought the story was gonna be about a fat guy and a buncha miller lites

Maristar210
02-27-2009, 09:44 AM
chief, I bet you thought the story was gonna be about a fat guy and a buncha miller lites

Hey man, that's shjit is cold

Ric
02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Precisely. Don't forget the set screw side bidniz

we don't sell grilldomes and we don't rent pigs

sizzler
02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
i invented " the NUTROCKERS":D

Ric
02-27-2009, 09:46 AM
:clapping: .

JohnE
02-27-2009, 09:54 AM
we don't sell grilldomes and we don't rent pigs

But you could.........

Maristar210
02-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Gay hair bands from 1983 like De leppard? Are those NUTROCKERS

Ric
02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
def leppard was gay?

BIGBADBLUE
02-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Joe Elliot is not gay ... in either definition.

flipper
02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I invented the leppard.

Chief
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM

How many days? 56?

I hope to be standing in my driveway on 2 May!

Maristar210
02-27-2009, 10:32 AM
I hope to be standing in my driveway on 2 May!

With a Cherry Wheat?

Maristar210
02-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Joe Elliott does not know which side of the Stanley Cup faces up. That's gay enough for me...

Chief
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM

I thought it might have been a result of him backing the boat into the garage without removing the platform, but then I said to myself: "Self" he invented the "Swim Platform Pocket Wall". :) I'm waiting for him to go public with it so I can buy into it.

Break:

#1 Your French Drain Exhaust: Now theres something that's funny!

Chief
02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
With a Cherry Wheat?

Yes, I don't know what I want to make love to first! The wife? The beer? I'm use to going long stints without you know........... But the beer is the one thing that never say's NO.

Ric
02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
there are no gay hockey players

sizzler
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM
the hanson brothers were gay......

Ric
02-27-2009, 03:54 PM
what are they now?

sizzler
02-27-2009, 03:58 PM
i heard they were shacked up in Kelowna BC with a faggot canuck

flipper
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
i heard they were shacked up in Kelowna BC with a faggot canuck

well, that could be anybody up there:confused:

sizzler
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM
well, that could be anybody up there:confused:

true........i have heard that its really pink up there

scott023
02-27-2009, 04:17 PM
true........i have heard that its really pink up there

Easy there sizzler... I am sure we've all heard stories about the cracker jacks over in England... :D

sizzler
02-27-2009, 04:20 PM
hahah.......scott23..i was in Banff last week....superb place ..really pretty......

besides.....he is in BC.....you are in Alberta

scott023
02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
;)hahah.......scott23..i was in Banff last week....superb place ..really pretty......

besides.....he is in BC.....you are in Alberta

I guess I can except that... there are a lot of flamers west of here. LOL

Ric
02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
wow this place has really gotten tough

pram
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM

Come out and go on an angle less that 90 down to the water? :confused: That would make it an bolt on to fit all applications.

WOULD GENE APPROVE OF THIS MESSAGE :confused::confused:

pram
02-27-2009, 05:11 PM
i invented " the NUTROCKERS":D

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ric
02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
WOULD GENE APPROVE OF THIS MESSAGE :confused::confused:
no, no he would not

Ric
03-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey man, that's shjit is cold
the beer?

jbanczak
03-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I just re-read the study, and of course there are a million ways to cut the data, but within the boat, even at the stern, at any speed of 10mph or over the FAE didn't have a big impact. At 5mph or standing still, there was a huge impact in the peak levels of CO to be sure - but the FAE even increased some levels.

In my book - cool invention - if you have the dinero - might be nice, but I'm finding it not that compelling. While I'm sitting here on my millionth hour of my own ballast install, I have a hard time with spending it.

Looking at the design though - if it may increase the CO at slower speeds in the boat - the question is why? It would seem that the design pulls it farther from the boat, and puts it deeper in the water - so why would that increase concentrations?

And if the real concern is in the boat - not actually to a wake surfer or rider - then the goal would be to figure out why this is happening and if there is a model that would change it. For instance - what about just runnning two straight marine rubber tubes off of the existing exhaust ports, cap them each off on the end with a 90 pvc elbow cut so that it just opens downward. Then drill holes into the tubing at or around the bottom of each tube.

Make the two separate pieces of tubing long enough so that it terminates roughly 6" inside the swim deck. This would have the effect of dispersing the exhaust into a larger volume of water over a broader area instead of pin-pointing it in one place. Structural rigidity is not an issue as it is only trailing the boat, not protruding down into the water. collission with swimmer less an issue because it is all rubber/plastic. On average it will pull the exhaust farther away from the boat as well. Mounting would be done via a coupler and hose clamps, nothing else. Cost would be minial.

Crude drawing attached... any comments?

Wake2wake
03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
I just re-read the study, and of course there are a million ways to cut the data, but within the boat, even at the stern, at any speed of 10mph or over the FAE didn't have a big impact. At 5mph or standing still, there was a huge impact in the peak levels of CO to be sure - but the FAE even increased some levels.

In my book - cool invention - if you have the dinero - might be nice, but I'm finding it not that compelling. While I'm sitting here on my millionth hour of my own ballast install, I have a hard time with spending it.

Looking at the design though - if it may increase the CO at slower speeds in the boat - the question is why? It would seem that the design pulls it farther from the boat, and puts it deeper in the water - so why would that increase concentrations?

And if the real concern is in the boat - not actually to a wake surfer or rider - then the goal would be to figure out why this is happening and if there is a model that would change it. For instance - what about just runnning two straight marine rubber tubes off of the existing exhaust ports, cap them each off on the end with a 90 pvc elbow cut so that it just opens downward. Then drill holes into the tubing at or around the bottom of each tube.

Make the two separate pieces of tubing long enough so that it terminates roughly 6" inside the swim deck. This would have the effect of dispersing the exhaust into a larger volume of water over a broader area instead of pin-pointing it in one place. Structural rigidity is not an issue as it is only trailing the boat, not protruding down into the water. collission with swimmer less an issue because it is all rubber/plastic. On average it will pull the exhaust farther away from the boat as well. Mounting would be done via a coupler and hose clamps, nothing else. Cost would be minial.

Crude drawing attached... any comments?

Seems like it would atleast be as effective if not more effective, only downside would be looks when the boat is on the trailor or a lift (its not shiny:D). maybe you can claim to have this patented now too!

flipper
03-10-2009, 04:08 PM
To make it look a little nicer, and be out of the way, wouldn't running a piece of stainless tube the width of the boat, with two pieces to attached to connect to the exhaust ports on the boat, with 90's on each end, and holes in the bottom do pretty much the same thing? Just a thought.

jbanczak
03-10-2009, 04:16 PM
The stainless across the back would probably work although I can think of a few problems that might arise...

1) The cost
2) The construction - I'm not a welder. I've already melted my shoes and burned my hair with the heat gun I'm using on the ballast setup...
3) The heat itself - rubber stays cooler - wouldn't want a hot pipe back there for swimmer to kick/grab

flipper
03-10-2009, 04:29 PM
The pipe shouldn't get burning hot. It's underwater when a swimmer would hit or grab it, and it has water running through it.

As far as cost, it would cost more than rubber and pvc. But you could have it welded up at a welding shop fairly cheap, or there are members here that may do it for a case of beer.

RexDog1
03-10-2009, 04:46 PM
The pipe shouldn't get burning hot. It's underwater when a swimmer would hit or grab it, and it has water running through it.

As far as cost, it would cost more than rubber and pvc. But you could have it welded up at a welding shop fairly cheap, or there are members here that may do it for a case of beer.

Make that 2 cases I O Trick one case :rolleyes:....:D

flipper
03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Make that 2 cases I O Trick one case :rolleyes:....:D

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Just tell him you gave it to him, he drank it, got drunk and forgot!!