PDA

View Full Version : Best lift & cover combo for a '05 PS 197

h2oskiluvr
02-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I was wondering what people felt was the best lift for a '05 PS 197? It is a relatively simple setup. The depth is around three to four feet deep with a sandy bottom. I have never left my boat out on a lift so I am a little apprehensive about it. Do people advise using the canopy type cover that is connected to the lift or the mooring cover? Any other suggestions or things I should be considering here? I would just hate to make a stupid mistake just because I am unfamiliar with what works best. Thanks TT!

boatnut
02-22-2009, 07:18 PM
I own an '05 PS197 and have been using a boat hoist for years, they work great. I own a Shorestation 4000lb. lift with an attached canopy. They are extremely well designed and last forever. My father just sold his Shorestation lift, he used it for over 35 years, just changed the cable every couple of years. My situation is similar to yours, 3 feet of water with a sand bottom. If you live in the upper midwest like me you will have to get it out of the water for the winter, I have a guy that takes my dock and lift out and puts it in again in the spring.The bottom line is they work great just don't go cheap.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
02-22-2009, 09:16 PM
I'll second the ShoreStation. I've got one with a canopy as well (24') and really like it. It saves from having to put the cover on and off all the time and is great protection from the sun, tree sap, morning dew as well as well as the weather. If the boat is cranked all the way up, it is pretty well protected. I do put the cover on when strong winds are forecast with rain or when I'll be away for a few days.

barefoot
02-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I use a shorestation with 22' canopy. I like it as protection from the sun and for the fact that I don't have to put a cover on the boat every time. it's nice to be able to come in after a day of skiing, wipe down the boat, and put it up without having to put a cover on. I've always felt that you're trapping moisture in the boat when the cover goes on...at least with the canopy, there is air flow to help dry it.

With the adjustable legs, their is no need to be apprehensive about leaving it on the water. You should be able to crank it up high enough to where you're boat is completely covered. I would do it no other way.

etakk7
02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I have a Vibo 3600# vertical lift with a 22' canopy. It is so much nicer to not have to deal with the boat cover anymore!

bigmac
02-23-2009, 09:49 AM
I looked hard at the ShoreStation - my MasterCraft dealer sells them. I didn't care for them. I didn't like the crossbar that affects access to the boat (prefer the welded V braces that others use), I didn't like the canopy because it wasn't deep enough to get the boat nicely tucked up there, and I didn't like the rings that are used as lift guides (my neighbor's binds, especially if the lift is a little tilted).

I opted for Pier Pleasure. Same price as the ShoreStation. I also like the Floe lifts, but they were too far off the bang-for-buck scale.

TX.X-30 fan
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I looked hard at the ShoreStation - my MasterCraft dealer sells them. I didn't care for them. I didn't like the crossbar that affects access to the boat (prefer the welded V braces that others use), I didn't like the canopy because it wasn't deep enough to get the boat nicely tucked up there, and I didn't like the rings that are used as lift guides (my neighbor's binds, especially if the lift is a little tilted).I opted for Pier Pleasure. Same price as the ShoreStation. I also like the Floe lifts, but they were too far off the bang-for-buck scale.

Other than that you would recommend the shore station?? :D

bigmac
02-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Other than that you would recommend the shore station?? :D

I think they are solidly built, and I think that, unlike many/most other lifts, their weight ratings are accurate. My concern with Shore Station isn't their engineering, it's their design.

Many of the boat lifts commonly on the market, especially in the midwest, are made here in Minnesota (Hewitt, ShoreMaster, Pier Pleasure, Floe, Newman to name a few). There are probably 50+ dealers for these various brands within 25 miles from my house and I see virtually every brand represented on our lake. Over the 20 years I've lived here, I've seen what happens to these lifts relative to time, weather, use, and functionality.

Datdude
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
go with the Floe!

-Very deep canopy (29" of frame depth plus additional fabric)
-Screw-jack leveling legs (worth its weight in gold)
-All Aluminum construction (Shorestation uses galvanized steel)
-Solution dyed polyester canopy fabric (doesn't shrink, much lighter than vinyl, easy attachment system)
-Very well built

www.floeintl.com

corey
02-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I've never lived on a lake so I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge in using lifts but we've been a Floe dealer for about 3 years now and been very happy with their VSD lifts.

If you are installing and removing the lift yourself I'd recommend their float and roll system. My buddy and I installed a 7500lb Capacity VSD with no help and that included rolling it over 150' of grass and sand.

bigmac
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
My many years living on a lake have been one, long, continuous search an easy way of getting docks and lifts in and out of the water at the beginning and end of the season. My conclusion is: pay somebody to do it for you. For about $150, my dock guy shows up with 5 other guys and they put in two boat lifts and eleven 10 foot dock sections. Takes 'em about 15 minutes. I don't even have to be involved.

As to Floe. I've known 'em a long time. The factory is about 15 miles from here. Nice people, they make good stuff. But the OP does need to make sure he prices boat lifts carefully. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you pay way too much for what you get.

barefoot
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
We have a guy put in our two lifts. We're one of the first stops in his season. Drops his rig in, motors down to us, picks the lift up with his boom arm, and sets it in place. Pay him cash and he always has a smile on his face!

rrbooker
02-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I had a Shore Station cable hoist for about 7 years. I had to replace the winch tube once but other than that it was a great hoist.
When i got our new bought i had to get a bigger hoist so i went with a Summit hydraulic hoist. I will say this is one of the best hoist on the market. Hydraulic is the way to go. I would like to get a top like this for mine this year.

http://www.summitmarine.com/galleries.php?image=4#image

corey
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
The Summit lifts are super nice, we used to sell them but the shipping cost's just got to be to much to make them competitive in MN. Heck even the owner of our dealership has one so you know they have to be good!

c_craig
02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
I am a Shore Station fan. The two offerings in our area were Shore Station and Habormaster. We've had an SS before, and have always been pleased. I didn't really care for the HM design (rollers on an angle track). We also looked at several mfg's on docks and I am very pleased with the SS dock. Our in/out crew was pleased too. Beats the old system by a long shot.

With the tower on the X-15, we could not do a canopy, but our cousin's Tristar is under a SS canopy next door. Very convenient for daily use. Watch the high winds though. The canopy will flip the lift if it is empty. We've had it happen.

Two items I recommend, or at least worked well for me. The bow stopper is great, especially with new drivers getting used to docking in the lift, and our dock wraps around, so I really didn't want anyone drifting through the lift and into the dock. We also dock in heavy tailwind much of the time, so it is a very secure way to land the boat. Our water is relatively shallow, so landing in our lift, and driving the boat up to the bow stop, is just like landing on the trailer (lot less power needed to bump the bow stop).

Second, the remote is the best! I never thought I would appreciate that feature as much as I do. Obviously a luxury, but very nice to have. Maybe they are standard now, I don't know.

BTW, the boat is only part way up in this picture. Usually don't put it all the way up until the end of the day.

sand2snow22
02-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Basta, solar, remote, ordered a custom cover from skiboatcovers.com

I like the fact that if the boat is all the way up (past verticle) and something goes wrong with the hydraulics while you are away, the boat won't fall into the water.

mess33
02-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Strictly a Pier Pleasure guy. Have worked with Shore Station and the design is not quite right. I install my 2 and my mothers 2 myself so I am very familiar with them. Got rid of the SS for the PP.

woftam
02-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Anyone have experience with Viking Boat Lifts?

east tx skier
02-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Are you sold on a canopy? Having used it with my last two boats, my preference, money no object, choice would be a hefty 6,000 lb lift with custom welded bunk supports so that the bunks matched the trailer. For cover, I prefer a boat house/roof over the boat to keep the weather out with a mooring cover on the boat to keep the dust out. If I was going to leave it out 24/7/365, I'd probably have some roll down something or other to keep everything else out including the sunlight.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/MasterCraft%20Pro%20Star%20205%20For%20Sale/IMG_2036.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/MasterCraft%20Pro%20Star%20205%20For%20Sale/IMG_2038.jpg

3--4' is enough to load and unload.

mess33
02-26-2009, 11:14 PM
I like the set-up tex but we northern bys do not have the luxury. I also use the mooring cover as a dust cover at least until the pollen is down

oxmach
02-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Woftam, yes, we have a couple of Viking lifts on our lake, and I'm having one delivered this spring for my 05 x-7.

I like that there is very little obstruction, and it can stay in all year. Lots of ice on our lake in the winter, but no problems with the other 2 lifts.

For me, the depth is over 10' so taking in and out is not really an option. Very few moving parts, custom made using chain drive mechanism.

Worth looking at in my opinion.

woftam
02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Woftam, yes, we have a couple of Viking lifts on our lake, and I'm having one delivered this spring for my 05 x-7.

I like that there is very little obstruction, and it can stay in all year. Lots of ice on our lake in the winter, but no problems with the other 2 lifts.

For me, the depth is over 10' so taking in and out is not really an option. Very few moving parts, custom made using chain drive mechanism.

Worth looking at in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply and the info.

MC2000190
02-27-2009, 07:23 PM
A great cost efficient combo set that we use in the midwest is a Hewitt boat lift.
http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/lifts07/index.html

bigmac
03-01-2009, 09:05 AM
We have a guy put in our two lifts. We're one of the first stops in his season. Drops his rig in, motors down to us, picks the lift up with his boom arm, and sets it in place. Pay him cash and he always has a smile on his face!

We have one of those guys too. It's really a cool rig - but we have road restrictions around here in the spring -- that and the width/weight of his barge means he needs a permit to haul it from lake to lake, and that means $$$, and that he puts the lift in on HIS schedule. He charges $200 just for the lift, but I still have to get the dock in somehow.

The main problem is that it's just too expensive compared to having Larry, Darryl, and Darryl do it for me.

http://mccollister.info/jukish1.jpg
http://mccollister.info/jukish2.jpg

sethro
03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I need one of those.

Jorski
03-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Okay the barge with the, er, ummm, lift lfter...that is pretty cool!