PDA

View Full Version : jDo I have a resistor before my coil?

TheSpleen
05-15-2005, 12:49 AM
By The Spleen (thespleen) on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 8:40 pm:

I'm installing an electonic ignintion in my '91 Ski Brendella (PCM Ford 351) and I've got a question.
The instructions for the kit say most boats have a resistor off the positive terminal of the coil, and that this should be bypassed.
The manual I have for my engine says it has a resistor.
But it doesn't really look like there is one on my engine. The positive wire coming off the coil is purple, just like they describe. But there's nothing on it in the first five inches or so, then it goes into a harness type thing so I can't really see what's going on. The only thing I see that would maybe the resistor is a circular piece that's on the carb. There's purple and a black wire hooked up to it, and both these wires go into the harness in the same general area as the wire coming off the coil. But I'm guessing this is not it. Any thoughts? Does my engine not have that resistor?

tph
05-15-2005, 12:57 AM
By The Spleen (thespleen) on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 8:40 pm:

I'm installing an electonic ignintion in my '91 Ski Brendella (PCM Ford 351) and I've got a question.
The instructions for the kit say most boats have a resistor off the positive terminal of the coil, and that this should be bypassed.
The manual I have for my engine says it has a resistor.
But it doesn't really look like there is one on my engine. The positive wire coming off the coil is purple, just like they describe. But there's nothing on it in the first five inches or so, then it goes into a harness type thing so I can't really see what's going on. The only thing I see that would maybe the resistor is a circular piece that's on the carb. There's purple and a black wire hooked up to it, and both these wires go into the harness in the same general area as the wire coming off the coil. But I'm guessing this is not it. Any thoughts? Does my engine not have that resistor?

You probably do have one. Look on the back of the engine (under a grey plastic cover) it looks like a white ceramic block about 3 inches long.

peason
05-15-2005, 01:52 AM
You can also make a call to Skidim. They helped me install mine a couple of years ago, of course I bought mine from them. Great knowledge of all inboards.

www.skidim.com

JimN
05-15-2005, 01:57 AM
If you had points, you have a resistor. It's not the same kind as you are probably thinking. Instead of being cylindrical with stripes, it's usually a white or grey rectangular part, about 2-1/2" long. Follow any wires to/from the coil and you'll find it.

TheSpleen
05-15-2005, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll take a look tomorrow morning. I think the problem was that the instructions with the kit said it should be really close to the coil. On my boat, the wire from the coil is only out in the open for about six inches (no resister there) and then int goes into a loom-type thing with some other wires and I can't really see what's going on. I think I know where to look now.

André
05-15-2005, 07:17 AM
Have you asked the question on Brendella Team Talk ?
J\K Welcome to the board The Spleen!

TheSpleen
05-16-2005, 11:45 AM
I don't think that board's getting too much traffic these days:)
Found the resistor no problem.
The whole install was really easy. I didn't notice much difference just running the boat on hose in the driveways, but we'll see how it goes on the water. Hopefully this weekend out at Parker.
Thanks for the help.