PDA

View Full Version : Windshield

JOBO
02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Last season I got stuck in a storm at havasu. I hit a good size wake and now I can't lock the middle part of the shield. Do I have to take the whole shield apart? Help please. I would take it to califorina skier in el sinwhore but the customer service sucks.

BriEOD
02-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Some photos would help. What is preventing it from closing? Is the frame bent, etc?

TX.X-30 fan
02-22-2009, 02:57 PM
If it bent the frame I am glad I missed that little storm.

JimN
02-22-2009, 03:08 PM
It may have just shifted. If you sight along the top edge from outside of the boat, you'll probably see that the middle has a dip in it. You'll need to loosen the bolts, shift it back and tighten them again. The black rubber strip will need to come out of the track so you can get to the heads and you'll need someone underneath to keep the nuts from spinning. Once it's in place, you should be able to hold it at the center and work your way to the outside as you tighten them again. Do both of the inner ones first, then keep going in a continuous sequence until they're all tight. Don't go nuts with torque- they're only #12 oval head or pan head bolts with Nylock nuts. You should also loosen the brackets at the corners of the windshield- do just the front pieces first, to see if you can align that without needing ti involve the side glass (which shouldn't have moved, anyway).

FrankSchwab
02-23-2009, 03:21 AM
I had the same problem - but fixing it didn't require loosening any bolts (different year, probably different construction, so don't take this as gospel). On mine, the glass had shifted in the rubber gasket, allowing the top of the windshield to collapse down a quarter-inch or so. This kept me from closing the center section of the windshield.

I was able to (and I can't quite explain how) get the glass to slip back into place by grabbing the frame and pulling. I don't remember what direction I pulled, but it was successful - things lined up better than they had since I bought the boat. Of course, YMMV and IANABM.

Good luck to you.

/frank