PDA

View Full Version : Waxing the Bottom

BriEOD
02-22-2009, 11:22 AM
So, I saw in WaterSki magazine in the boat maintenance section near the back that the author recommended waxing the boat bottom for improved performance and fuel economy. Anyone else read that?

As a counterpoint, I recall seeing an episode of the Myth Busters in which they disproved this notion. The basic take away was that waxing a boat hull did not improve top speed, etc.

Thoughts?

TMCNo1
02-22-2009, 11:30 AM
So, I saw in WaterSki magazine in the boat maintenance section near the back that the author recommended waxing the boat bottom for improved performance and fuel economy. Anyone else read that?

As a counterpoint, I recall seeing an episode of the Myth Busters in which they disproved this notion. The basic take away was that waxing a boat hull did not improve top speed, etc.

Thoughts?

Over the years I've dealt with several drag boat and SK oval racers that I've lettered their boats and they never use wax on the bottoms, just silicone from a rattle can sprayed on a rag and wiped on the bottom and underwater gear and furniture polish on the hull sides and decks.The only answer as to why was, "Everyone else does it"!

bigmac
02-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Given the difficulty involved in actually waxing the bottom of the hull, it's hard for me to imagine it would be worth any performance improvement that might be gained. Anyway, I'd be inclined to bet that any wax on wetted hull surfaces is stripped off in about the first couple of hours of operation after completing that laborious task.

The only time I've ever addressed the hull bottom on any boat I've owned has been acid washing followed by waxing for staining..and IIRC I've only done that three times in the last 20 years.

BriEOD
02-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I just thought it was funny as I'm sure this guy was totaling speculating in this article.

TMCNo1
02-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Given the difficulty involved in actually waxing the bottom of the hull, it's hard for me to imagine it would be worth any performance improvement that might be gained. Anyway, I'd be inclined to bet that any wax on wetted hull surfaces is stripped off in about the first couple of hours of operation after completing that laborious task.

The only time I've ever addressed the hull bottom on any boat I've owned has been acid washing followed by waxing for staining..and IIRC I've only done that three times in the last 20 years.

You'd be surprised! After 3 days in the water at CSM the last 2 years, when I washed the boat/trailer including the bottom after the event, the water beaded up just like it had just been waxed. Maybe it's the now discontinued Meguier's #16 paste wax I've been using all these years.

bigmac
02-22-2009, 11:46 AM
You'd be surprised! After 3 days in the water at CSM the last 2 years, when I washed the boat/trailer including the bottom after the event, the water beaded up just like it had just been waxed. Maybe it's the now discontinued Meguier's #16 paste wax I've been using all these years.

We'll need a biopsy.

/

BriEOD
02-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Harold you are hardcore!!

shepherd
02-22-2009, 12:01 PM

Thoughts?

IF (and that's a big IF) there would be any increase in fuel economy, the miniscule savings would be offset by the expense of the wax you used on the bottom, not to mention the time you wasted. IMO, the only reason to wax the bottom is to make it easier to clean.

I used to study hydrodynamics and worked with a bunch of hydrodynamacists 15+ years ago. I can't remember much of that crap anymore, but I'm pretty confident that any speed increase, IF ANY, would be negligible.

coz
02-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Harold you are hardcore!!

That's what Lynn says after a dose or two of those little blue thingies :eek:

TMCNo1
02-22-2009, 12:16 PM
That's what Lynn says after a dose or two of those little blue thingies :eek:

It's all about waxing bottoms, anyway ya want to look at it!:rolleyes::D

BriEOD
02-22-2009, 12:19 PM
I can see Harold in one of those commercials...:D

shepherd
02-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I can see Harold in one of those commercials...:D

You saw it too? :rolleyes:

trickskier
02-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Harold your boat has so many coats of wax on it that it will always bead.....................:D

TMCNo1
02-22-2009, 12:48 PM
You saw it too? :rolleyes:

Right click, Save as..................! Lynn's just laughing uncontrollably!

east tx skier
02-22-2009, 12:57 PM
You guys are that worried about hair on your boats hull? How very West Coast!

BriEOD
02-22-2009, 01:09 PM

Oh don't even start! You are Harold Jr. and you know it!!

TMCNo1
02-22-2009, 01:49 PM

I'm primed with about 15 responses, but haven't got the guts to post them!:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
02-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Busted. Hell ETS uses a sippy cup for his home brew when he's in the boat at night polishing the ski pylon. :D

BriEOD
02-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, wouldn't doubt it. His wife told me he keeps a pH pool tester kit in the boat. He won't splash the boat unless the water is just right.

h2oskifreak
02-22-2009, 03:01 PM
I have always waxed my boats 1-3 times a year. I don't count on increased performance, just taking care of what takes care of me. Makes wipe down easier. I can tell when it's due again from the way it wipes down.

BriEOD
02-22-2009, 03:02 PM
I agree the wax helps keep it clean. I just don't agree that waxing the bottom increases performance/fuel economy.

JimN
02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I have heard that waxing the hull does increase speed, but nobody could ever say how much. It should last fairly well into the season, though. Also, one coat isn't enough to create a barrier that will last for long and the fiberglass repair guy at the first dealer said three coats is the best way to keep it clean. Each coat is awfully thin, so adding more makes it more durable.

As far as the PITA factor- isn't that why people have kids? They do the grunt work, the parents sit back and criticize. Then, they ask for another beer and the kid walks back, shaking it the whole way.

east tx skier
02-22-2009, 05:29 PM

I've sprayed on some wax on the keel and waxed the bunks, but that's it. I had my new to me boat lifted off the trailer and waxed tip to stern before the end of the first season. I really need to wax it before this season starts, but the hull will probably not get much.

russlars
02-23-2009, 12:18 AM
My boat gets a thorough cleaning and 2 coats of wax including the bottom before each season. I jack up the trailer and put jack stands under the axles and work from a creeper. It is a pain to do, but since it spends so much time in the water it is well worth it. When I take it out at the end of the season it still beads water and any growth wipes right off. During the season I do wipe it down about once a month while in the water, including as much of the underside as I can reach also. I also doubt it improves performance, but it sure makes clean up a breeze.:)
These are the two products I use and I am very pleased with their performance.

flipper
02-23-2009, 01:33 AM
My boat gets a thorough cleaning and 2 coats of wax including the bottom before each season. I jack up the trailer and put jack stands under the axles and work from a creeper. It is a pain to do, but since it spends so much time in the water it is well worth it. When I take it out at the end of the season it still beads water and any growth wipes right off. During the season I do wipe it down about once a month while in the water, including as much of the underside as I can reach also. I also doubt it improves performance, but it sure makes clean up a breeze.:)
These are the two products I use and I am very pleased with their performance.

I'll second those two products...they work great. I wax the bottom once a year just because it makes it easier to clean and help prevent blisters. As far as it making a difference in performance....I don't think so.

DanC
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Well, waxing a non-planing hull will make it go slower. Racing sailboats sand their hulls for an optimum "roughness". Submarines also have an optimum "roughness" to their hulls (not just for acoustic stealth). I don't know about planning hulls, but I'm betting like Brian said its affect is relatively minor to a 36 mph vessel. And I don't know of any Mastercrafts that are fast enough to utilize the high speed micro dynamics of the air envelope.

scott023
02-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, waxing a non-planing hull will make it go slower. Racing sailboats sand their hulls for an optimum "roughness". Submarines also have an optimum "roughness" to their hulls (not just for acoustic stealth). I don't know about planning hulls, but I'm betting like Brian said its affect is relatively minor to a 36 mph vessel. And I don't know of any Mastercrafts that are fast enough to utilize the high speed micro dynamics of the air envelope.

Exactly what I was thinking... just wouldn't have stated it so perfectly.

Jesus_Freak
02-23-2009, 12:42 PM

Absolutely. It all comes down to boundary layer transition. In certain situations, roughness is good, i.e. golf balls. I have never studied hull waxing versus non-waxing, but I DO know that for a planing hull in the 30-40 MPH range, visible living organism growth (sitting at the lake dock too long) will substantially reduce speed. I guess this would be obvious to most, but the effect is large.

BriEOD
02-23-2009, 05:27 PM

Hi DanC!!:wavey: Good to see you on the site.

H2OSKEE
02-23-2009, 06:44 PM
I wax the bottom at least once a year, using a creeper- a pain, but I love my boat and think it's worth the effort!

DanC
02-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi DanC!!:wavey: Good to see you on the site.

Hi Bri:wavey:

Toober Tom
02-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I had a girlfriend who waxed her bottom.

BriEOD
02-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Nice boat Toober Tom.

BriEOD
02-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi Bri:wavey:

Haven't seen you posting about new projects on the 209. I know you have some...

TX.X-30 fan
02-23-2009, 09:29 PM

Pics???? :D

TX.X-30 fan
02-23-2009, 09:30 PM

I knew a polish chick that needed to. :o

BriEOD
02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Stu you're a mess!:D

Toober Tom
02-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Pics???? :D

I think this is the wax she used.
http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/large/21716_L1.jpg

EricB
02-23-2009, 11:00 PM
So if you wax the bottom of your boat, I take it you must wax the bottom of your skis?

Monte
02-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I knew a polish chick that needed to. :o

Are you sure it was a chick:rolleyes:

BCBlazers
02-24-2009, 10:12 AM
makes it look better on the trailer....oh yeaaaaaaa

wakeX2wake
02-24-2009, 10:14 AM
i tried waxing my bottom last night... i'm over it

TMCNo1
02-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Nothing like a freshly waxed 20 year old bottom, except..................................:rolleyes: :D

BCBlazers
02-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Nothing like a freshly waxed 20 year old bottom, except..................................:rolleyes: :D

that sure is a fine lookin undercarriage/rear end....8p

wakeX2wake
02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
that sure is a fine lookin undercarriage/rear end....8p

not too often you can say that to a guy in his 60s (sorry if i'm bad off there Harold... i'm guessing)

TMCNo1
02-24-2009, 11:41 AM
not too often you can say that to a guy in his 60s (sorry if i'm bad off there Harold... i'm guessing)

No problem!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

Monte
02-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Ok, I have to go eat lunch in a few minutes.. Enough talk about Harolds waxed undercarriage:noface::eek3:

wakeX2wake
02-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Ok, I have to go eat lunch in a few minutes.. Enough talk about Harolds waxed undercarriage:noface::eek3:

heh me too... i don't want to hear the words wax and bottom in the same sentence again... my only advice is... don't try it