PDA

View Full Version : 07 X2 Attitude Plate

bturner2
02-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Well I'm already looking to upgrade the boat I'll pick up on Wednesday. Went to the boat show on Thursday and was looking at the new X2s. Noticed the ones they had there all had the attitude adjustment plate on them. Does anyone have this option installed and does it make a noticible difference? The next question would be is this something that could be added easily and how much would it cost?

ttu
02-21-2009, 09:44 AM
i checked on this a while back from mike.

it was around $1200. i am not sure if that includes install or just parts.

bigmac
02-21-2009, 09:52 AM
I have only heard positive things about those plates, especially relative to their ability to change the wake. It helps a lot toward providing a decent ski wake for a wakeboard boat. Ive been trying to talk my buddy into installing one on his X-10 for years.

Witness140
02-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Just bought an X2. I wouldn't own an X2 without the plate. However, I do want to take the occasional slalom or trick set, so that was a big factor. If I was just a surfer or rider, I might not have cared so much.

I believe it was an $1100 option on my order sheet. It is a pretty simple device, and would probably be a very simple install.

I heard we might be seeing plates on the corners of transom soon. I'm not sure why we haven't seen them sooner.

jjledbetter
02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
The wake plate is one of the best items on the boat. Open water is no problem when lake chop is white capping, (being able to trim your boat). Plus the ability to customize your wake.

corey
02-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Agreed with all except the easy install, it's a bit more work than you would expect. You need to mount the plate, ram, gauge (if you don't have VDIG) and power to the whole deal. It's doable but its not a 2 hour job.

TheOneandOnly
02-21-2009, 02:12 PM
we have an 08 x2, it does make a nice difference with the wake for wakeboarding and surfing since you can tweek it rampy and get rid of washy transistions. We dont ski but it makes the wake nice and washed out when adjusted all the way. We love it and wouldnt want it without.

scott023
02-21-2009, 02:14 PM
There was a tremendous difference with the attitude adjustment plate installed. I would not go without it personally...

bturner2
02-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Looks like it's going to be high on the priority list. I've installed trim tabs on my old WellCraft and that wasn't all that hard. Another good Saturday morning project. Can't wait.

ttu
02-21-2009, 05:23 PM
well who has done a self install.

i had one on my old 05 supra and i will have to agree with 1andonly, i was able to tweak the wake from steep to a little more mellow for new boarders and it did make the surf wake a lot cleaner.

just think 1200 for the plate is to high.

Witness140
02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Im counting 10 holes to mount the hinge to bottom of hull. Looks like phillips heads.

The piston is made by Lenco. http://www.lencomarine.com/actuator.html

http://www.lencomarine.com/actuator_pgs/Resources/Actuator_specs.pdf

Not sure which one it is, as I haven't measured. I'm betting Lenco makes the plate on an OEM supply basis to MC's specs. The actuator is probably out of their lineup and seems to price out between 150-200.

The top mount is secured with 4 more screws and has a hole down the middle so power can go somewhere.

15 holes, the %alls to drill them, and then like was mentioned - everything up front that needs to be done. Run the wires, install a gauge with switch. Maybe 'easy' was not the right term. However, it looks easier than installing something like a stereo system. Assuming you are mechanically inclined of course, and have basic tools and the ability to source stuff inexpensively.

On the 07' you won't be dealing with VDIG. Gauge will go on bottom right hand edge of dash.

Witness140
02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
These are pics from a factory installed plate setup in a 2007 X2.

Footin
02-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Doesn't look like a difficult install. If you can install Perfect Pass, you can do this.

Age Fighter
06-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Looked at adding one last year to my X-9.

I did not ---as I was worried that the hull being a bit rounded on the centerline at the stern would make water do screwy things as it came off a round hull to a flat plate.

Then I saw one on an X-2 -- and the X-2 hull looks very very similar to the X-9 hull at the place the plate is attached. So now I plan on adding it. A 9x 24 -- just like the X-2.

Anyone have experience with X-9 or 209 and plates?

Or is the X-2 and X-9 hull more different at the transom than I think?

THANKS.

hawaiianstiln
06-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Glad I found this today! I was about to post up today on this wake plate. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this wake, but I wish it was a bit less on the lippy side. The X2 seems like a complete different wake than the X-star if I remember correctly. Been a while since I rode behind the Xstar. However, I was actually wondering if I put this on, can I shape the wake so it's not a steep or lippy.

Maybe what I'm saying is could it take some of the steep part away at the very top??

Today, I had 300 lb sac up front on the floor, 500 lb sac in the middle back on the floor, 4 people, all stock ballast full (stock KGB, port & starboard) and it just seems SUPER steep at the last minute.

hawaiianstiln
06-27-2009, 05:38 PM
sure would be nice to see a pic or two of the difference that it makes with the plate down, half up, all the way up, etc...

HINT HINT!!

bturner2
06-28-2009, 08:29 AM
I really wanted to install one this season but was shocked to find out it was going to cost $1600 for the parts from my dealer. This is still on my wish list but at that price it's not getting done this year. I'll have to save over the winter for this toy.

Everyone I've talked to swears it's worth the cost.

bigmac
06-28-2009, 08:47 AM
I really wanted to install one this season but was shocked to find out it was going to cost $1600 for the parts from my dealer. This is still on my wish list but at that price it's not getting done this year. I'll have to save over the winter for this toy.

Everyone I've talked to swears it's worth the cost.

That's an amazing price increase since 2005. IIRC, Gregg said in his post from back then that the parts were $800.

Price the plate from Bennet or Lenco. I think it was/is Lenco that makes the plate for MC.

hawaiianstiln
06-28-2009, 02:19 PM
yah that doesn't seem right when labor these days at the dealers are around $120 an hour. Doesn't take 7 hours to put one of these one.

Not sure why any good marine repair shop couldn't put one of these on cheaper. Bass boats and other type of I/O's use these trim plates. heck, you might be able to have the Moomba dealer put it on, they have them on a lot of their boats.

Age Fighter
06-28-2009, 03:21 PM

I should have a quote from my dealer Monday. I'll let you know what I find out. This dealer is in central NC.

bigmac
06-28-2009, 03:35 PM
As I understand it, these wake plates are designed to flatten the wake a little, make a wakeboard boat's wake a little more slalom-friendly. Reports are that it works pretty well for that. I'm not sure how useful it is in shaping a wakeboard-boat's wake.

Witness140
06-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Now that I've been using the boat for awhile, I can throw in some more input on the plate and it's uses. I will try to take some pics for you to show how it changes a wakeboard wake. I'm assuming you'll want to see it with full stock ballast. What speed do you want the pics at and what length do you board at? I'll throw the line out so you can see the distance reference.

Anyways - I've slalomed behind this thing just once. Been having so much fun surfing, tricking, and an occasional wakeboard ride, that my slalom ski is still sitting on the rack.

I find that the surf wake for my boat with full port ballast, 50% KGB, improves just a smidge with the plate down 20-25%. Haven't played with it at all wakeboarding - always leave it full up.

The one time I slalomed I just put it about 75% down. Didn't play with it much.

bturner2
06-28-2009, 05:24 PM
The price I got was with me doing the labor. That was just parts. I almost fell over. I'll have to see what I can find on the open market. Really interested to see what Age Fighter comes in with. Please let me know.....

sand2snow22
06-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Not the best video and it doesn't look like the weight in the boat is even, but you can tell they put the wakeplate down towards the end of the video and it cleans up the wake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIwVrSsSfZk

Witness140
06-28-2009, 07:47 PM
The price I got was with me doing the labor. That was just parts. I almost fell over. I'll have to see what I can find on the open market. Really interested to see what Agve Fighter comes in with. Please let me know.....

Did you check out the links I posted to the Jabsco stuff earlier in the thread? How much did it come to in parts if you sourced it all from a non-MC source?

proporjet
06-28-2009, 07:54 PM
sand,
The video is not good. I would have guessed that the wake plate was down early and was going up at the end of the video. One thing I've noticed when the wakeplate is down >75% is that it throws up a big spray right behind the boat. Raise it up a little and that spray goes down. I cant even see the wake shape good enough to tell what is going on with the wake shape.
I definately notice a difference with the wakeplate. Able to tune the curl point for wake surfing at different speeds and boat loads. Able to tune the wake shape and edge at different speeds and boat loads.

hawaiianstiln
06-29-2009, 02:58 AM
Now that I've been using the boat for awhile, I can throw in some more input on the plate and it's uses. I will try to take some pics for you to show how it changes a wakeboard wake. I'm assuming you'll want to see it with full stock ballast. What speed do you want the pics at and what length do you board at? I'll throw the line out so you can see the distance reference.

Anyways - I've slalomed behind this thing just once. Been having so much fun surfing, tricking, and an occasional wakeboard ride, that my slalom ski is still sitting on the rack.

I find that the surf wake for my boat with full port ballast, 50% KGB, improves just a smidge with the plate down 20-25%. Haven't played with it at all wakeboarding - always leave it full up.

The one time I slalomed I just put it about 75% down. Didn't play with it much.

I ride at 80' behind my 2007 X2 at about 24 MPH. I have stock ballast full, including a 300 lb sac up front in the walkway of the bow and another sac in the floor in the middle back that's about 400 lbs.

I'm not worried about the extra weight. Maybe if you don't have a bunch of people in the boat when you take video or pics, just set the PP at 22 MPH with stock ballast and play with the trim will give me a lot of feedback. Thanks! I know it will help others decide as well. :) :)

sand2snow22
06-29-2009, 03:13 AM
Glad I found this today! I was about to post up today on this wake plate. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this wake, but I wish it was a bit less on the lippy side. The X2 seems like a complete different wake than the X-star if I remember correctly. Been a while since I rode behind the Xstar. However, I was actually wondering if I put this on, can I shape the wake so it's not a steep or lippy.

Maybe what I'm saying is could it take some of the steep part away at the very top??

Today, I had 300 lb sac up front on the floor, 500 lb sac in the middle back on the floor, 4 people, all stock ballast full (stock KGB, port & starboard) and it just seems SUPER steep at the last minute.

You are used to those mellow BU wakes ;)

Try moving the weight around a little bit. Put more weight up front and see how you like it.

hawaiianstiln
06-30-2009, 08:03 PM
You are used to those mellow BU wakes ;)

Try moving the weight around a little bit. Put more weight up front and see how you like it.

HAAA, that's exactly what someone else told me too (about the BU wakes). They also told me to add more weight in the front as well. :D:D

What would be the difference between the attitude plate from MC dealer and the wake plates sold on overtons made by Bennet??