PDA

View Full Version : 07 X2 Tandem Trailer Tire/Wheel Size

bturner2
02-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Looks like this is going to be it. Made the final arrangements to buy the 07 X2 I posted about a couple days ago. Since this boat was a "cottage boat" the previous owner decided not to purchase a spare, yet went with what I'm told would have been a special order tandem axle trailer with no spare (still trying to figure that one out). This will be my first tandem axle rig but from what I'm told it's a nice upgrade with the only down side being moving it around in the drive way. At any rate I'll be towing it 400 miles home next Wednesday and think it would be a good idea to have a spare for a trip that far. The questions I have are.....

1.) Which rin design did they use on the trailer in 07?
2.) I know these are 14" wheels but what size tire should I purchase?
3.) How much should I expect to pay?
4.) If I can't get it at my dealer where are good places to pick one up quick?

Don't have much time to get this done. Would love to have this behind me by Monday at the latest. We have several marine stores in the area but doubt they will carry something that will match. Thanks!

Sodar
02-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I am not sure if you are getting a MC trailer or an aftermarket, but the wheels look like the ones below. They are wrapped in GoodYear Marathons. I know that the spare upgrade from the factory is $250, so I guess it should be somewhere around there. Does the dealer have a spare for you? I know that mine keeps a few spares for each wheel design.

You will love a tandem. They are not bad in the driveway unless you are trying to handle it by hand.

Congrats on the new boat!

KnoxX2
02-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Did they put 14" rims on the tandem trailers? I know my single is a 15" rim!

ttu
02-20-2009, 10:33 AM
I am not sure if you are getting a MC trailer or an aftermarket, but the wheels look like the ones below. They are wrapped in GoodYear Marathons. I know that the spare upgrade from the factory is $250, so I guess it should be somewhere around there. Does the dealer have a spare for you? I know that mine keeps a few spares for each wheel design.

You will love a tandem. They are not bad in the driveway unless you are trying to handle it by hand.

Congrats on the new boat!

my 07 x2 has the same wheels.

cameron, what is that red thing in the front wheel?

KnoxX2
02-20-2009, 10:34 AM
my 07 x2 has the same wheels.

cameron, what is that red thing in the front wheel?

Fire starter;):D

Sodar
02-20-2009, 10:34 AM
The tag with the pressure and stuff. That pic was taken about an hour after the boat got off the truck.

ORX-1
02-20-2009, 11:08 AM
I went with just a basic galvanized rim that can fit pretty much any bolt pattern, then covered it with a Mastercraft cover, cheap and you should be able to pick one up for 90 dollars or so from any local tire shop.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Boat%20and%20Car/cover-1.jpg

wakeX2wake
02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
truly... the 15" and 14" shouldn't matter... as long as you have a spare something to put on there w/ a similar tire diameter (w/ in .5 in should be safe) you'll be fine for spare purposes...

when finding a tandem trailer spare... the 14" and 15" doesn't mean much in the long haul... 14" wheel and 15" wheel w/ tires the same diameter will only mean there's more tire sidewall on the 14" than the 15"... the cool thing about a tandem is... if you have a blow out you can limp in w/ the blowout removed... not recommended over long hauls or at high speeds but you can do it... done it several times w/ horse and stock trailers... we have a few stock trailers w/ 15" normal wheels and the spare is a 14" or a 16" and when you stand the tires next to each other they're the same height and that's what's important in this application

i'd call and get the tire size and all relevant brand information on the trailer currently and i'd cross check it on the internet... most tire companies have their specs listed somewhere on here... actually most tire retailers have them listed... i'd go w/ ORX-1's suggestion and get a matching bolt pattern and tire to fit w/ similar diameters and you should be good...

then bolt that dude on and order a MC tired cover and all will be right w/ the world

TMCNo1
02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Just be sure the spare wheel is a 5 lug on 4.5" diameter pattern to bolt up to the spare tire bracket and hub.

flipper
02-20-2009, 12:42 PM
truly... the 15" and 14" shouldn't matter... as long as you have a spare something to put on there w/ a similar tire diameter (w/ in .5 in should be safe) you'll be fine for spare purposes...

when finding a tandem trailer spare... the 14" and 15" doesn't mean much in the long haul... 14" wheel and 15" wheel w/ tires the same diameter will only mean there's more tire sidewall on the 14" than the 15"... the cool thing about a tandem is... if you have a blow out you can limp in w/ the blowout removed... not recommended over long hauls or at high speeds but you can do it... done it several times w/ horse and stock trailers... we have a few stock trailers w/ 15" normal wheels and the spare is a 14" or a 16" and when you stand the tires next to each other they're the same height and that's what's important in this application

i'd call and get the tire size and all relevant brand information on the trailer currently and i'd cross check it on the internet... most tire companies have their specs listed somewhere on here... actually most tire retailers have them listed... i'd go w/ ORX-1's suggestion and get a matching bolt pattern and tire to fit w/ similar diameters and you should be good...

then bolt that dude on and order a MC tired cover and all will be right w/ the world

I've made it home on three tires before, but you do have to chain up the axle so the hub doesn't drag on the ground.

russlars
02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
I went with just a basic galvanized rim that can fit pretty much any bolt pattern, then covered it with a Mastercraft cover, cheap and you should be able to pick one up for 90 dollars or so from any local tire shop.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Boat%20and%20Car/cover-1.jpg
I have even seen these standard spare tires on galvanized rims at Boaters World and West Marine.

ORX-1
02-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Not sure if the proshop sale is still on but if you go with this method you could steal a tire cover!

bturner2
02-20-2009, 02:03 PM
I don't know if I missed it but does anyone know what the actual tire size is? I'm thinking its a a 205X75 14 or 215X75 14.

ttu
02-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Not sure if the proshop sale is still on but if you go with this method you could steal a tire cover!

valid thru 02/28/2009

wakeX2wake
02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
i'd call the current owner and get them to quote you on it...

bturner2
02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Well I went with a 205 tire as I was told this is the most common for a tandem trailer. My dealer wanted $300 and tax for the spare which is not in stock and $50 to rent a tire from them while waiting for it to come in. Went to discount tire near my house and bought a aluminum trailer wheel and tire that's close for $180 balanced out the door and they're giving me one to use for free until mine comes in.

I decided I'd go with some of the advise on this thread and hit the pro shop up for a tire cover, guide post pads, some shirts and buy everyone a beer at the bar for the difference.

wakeX2wake
02-20-2009, 03:47 PM
and buy everyone a beer at the bar for the difference.

i like your rationale... good call

ORX-1
02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
bturner2 nice work, come to think of it that may have been more the price range I paid. and with the MC Cover it will look great! enjoy the trip!

bturner2
02-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Well everyone here at Champ's Pub in Brighton agrees with you guys.

The $50 to rent the tire just pushed me over the edge. I would have loved to have had the matching wheel and was ready to pay the $300 for it but just started feeling a bit cheap with the 3 day tire rental for $50. I like to get a dinner, movie and maybe some flowers before entering that kind of
relationship.

jdl xstar
02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
All this trailer talk has got me thinking of changing my single axel to a double. Anyone happen to know what the price differenc is between the two for an 07 X2 trailer?

flipper
02-20-2009, 04:27 PM
It's going to depend on where you go, and what you get as far as options like a boat buddy, led lights, disc brakes, brakes on one or two axles, what rims you want, and all that.

flipper
02-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I had one made for my PS190, and it was about $4000 out the door.

wakeX2wake
02-20-2009, 04:32 PM
i can't find the thread right off but some one on here had a thread about their new x-star trailer... very sweet trailer w/ all the options... i'd be looking into them if you wanted a new trailer

jdl xstar
02-20-2009, 04:35 PM
It's going to depend on where you go, and what you get as far as options like a boat buddy, led lights, disc brakes, brakes on one or two axles, what rims you want, and all that.

I was hoping I could trade mine at the local MC dealership and pay the difference. Just the standard dual axel they use is what i want which has all those features you mention. Not necessarily the low profile one but if it isn't too much more then, yes!

jdl xstar
02-20-2009, 04:36 PM
i can't find the thread right off but some one on here had a thread about their new x-star trailer... very sweet trailer w/ all the options... i'd be looking into them if you wanted a new trailer

I remember that one. A few weeks ago? That one was awesome but too nice for my needs. I just want the standard issue MC trailer.

wakeX2wake
02-20-2009, 04:51 PM
i don't blame you for wanting OEM at all...

bturner2
02-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Need to add an update. My dealer just sent another note saying that he would be willing to apply the $50 to the purchase of the correct wheel. A bit late and I'm still happy going the other direction but I thought it only fair to make the correction.

I thought I may have seen a Xstar trailer listed on Ebay recently. Looked like it was listed from Rambo Marine. For some reason Rambo usually has a couple for sale all the time.

ttu
02-20-2009, 05:00 PM
All this trailer talk has got me thinking of changing my single axel to a double. Anyone happen to know what the price differenc is between the two for an 07 X2 trailer?

texas mastercraft has a 07 x2 trailer for sale, $4475.00

Witness140
02-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Comparing new pricing, the difference between a single and tandem is just under $1500.

CottagerGreg
02-21-2009, 01:30 PM
That's a good deal for a MC trailer... new from the dealer expect about $6,200-$6,700 for a tandem... chrome package with 18" wheels goes upto about $9,800.00

Boatmate is a good alternative and shorelander I believe makes them too.

stu
07-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Is this the 5 lug on 4.5" diameter bolt pattern on my tandem trailer for my '05 X2? (see pic) I need to get a spare rim and tire. The tires are Marathon ST215/75R14.

Is the bolt pattern the only thing I need to specify when buying the new rim?

TMCNo1
07-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Is this the 5 lug on 4.5" diameter bolt pattern on my tandem trailer for my '05 X2? (see pic) I need to get a spare rim and tire. The tires are Marathon ST215/75R14.

Is the bolt pattern the only thing I need to specify when buying the new rim?

Known as 5 on 4.5" and you need to know the wheel diameter, width and current tire size. Tire size will indicate the wheel diameter by the last two numbers (14") and the width should be 6".

stu
07-22-2009, 04:38 PM
thanks TMCNo1

later edit: ok I just read you're not suppose to post simple thank yous. Sorry, I get it.