PDA

View Full Version : 85 S&S detailing questions

wilbucd
02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
It's not really a restoration thread as much as a detailing thread. I'm just buffing everything out and doing some touch up paint work. I have lots of questions so I thought I would list them all on one thread instead of multiple. So here we go.

First off are the rings for the speedometers. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be black. How can I remove these so I can paint them?

wilbucd
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Next question is for the fuse holders. Can these be replaced and if so where would I find them? Mine are discolored and brittle.

wilbucd
02-19-2009, 03:07 PM
How about the mirror? As you can see the white platic trim is breaking off. I could just remove the rest of it for a quick fix. Is there any product that can be put back in it's place? I don't really want to replace it if I can just dress it up.

wilbucd
02-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Is a replacement capacity sticker available?

TMCNo1
02-19-2009, 03:30 PM
It's not really a restoration thread as much as a detailing thread. I'm just buffing everything out and doing some touch up paint work. I have lots of questions so I thought I would list them all on one thread instead of multiple. So here we go.

First off are the rings for the speedometers. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be black. How can I remove these so I can paint them?

They just pull straight off with a little tugging. I used Bondo Black Primer to refinish mine to new look and original.
Clean them good with lacquer thinner, alcohol, tack them to remove dust and spray as they lay on a flat piece of dust free board. While your at it, you can pull the lens and gently clean them, inside and out with window cleaner, but be careful not to hook the needles and bend or pull them off the center post.

wilbucd
02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
They just pull straight off with a little tugging.

That's the part that concerns me. I have tried a "little tugging" with no luck. This is usually the point where I strong arm something and have it come apart in my hand. Trying to avoid that this time. Any suggestions for getting it loose?

H20skeefreek
02-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Is a replacement capacity sticker available?
Not available, I've already tried. Unfortunately this means that you are driving the boat illegally, as I found out. MC can't help, and the DNR doesn't care about that, it's required. I'd love to hear of a solution if you come up with one.

M-Funf
02-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Not available, I've already tried. Unfortunately this means that you are driving the boat illegally, as I found out. MC can't help, and the DNR doesn't care about that, it's required. I'd love to hear of a solution if you come up with one.

Get a good picture of the decal. Take it into a shop to have a replacement made. Get it as close as you can and they'll never be able to tell.

TMCNo1
02-19-2009, 03:48 PM
That's the part that concerns me. I have tried a "little tugging" with no luck. This is usually the point where I strong arm something and have it come apart in my hand. Trying to avaoid that this time. Any suggestions for getting it loose?
Maybe a small amount of WD40 and add some twist to it while pulling. When I pulled mine of it scared the crap out of me, but it was then understandably simple. When you put it back on, wipe with a little WD 40 inside the ring like I did mine, to make it easier next time you remove, if ever.

ski_king
02-19-2009, 03:50 PM
The fuse holder is a fairly common part. We use the same one on machines at work and I happened to stumble into 5 extra on day when I was rebuilding my dash. I believe you can also get them at most any auto parts or electronics store.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062231&tab=features

M-Funf
02-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Next question is for the fuse holders. Can these be replaced and if so where would I find them? Mine are discolored and brittle.

Radio Shack (or any other electronics store) will have them ($1.99)...Make sure to get one rated high enough for the fuse...

Panel Mount 10A Fuse Holder (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062230)

barefoot
02-19-2009, 03:51 PM
How about the mirror? As you can see the white platic trim is breaking off. I could just remove the rest of it for a quick fix. Is there any product that can be put back in it's place? I don't really want to replace it if I can just dress it up.

You know what? This is just a truck mirror. I bought mine from Ryder and it works perfectly. I don't know the exact model I got, but I popped it in in about 1 minute, 42 seconds :D

Here's the link where I bought it from...and they're cheap! (http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/browse/srm/oid/-9125/erm/browsecategories.jsp)

M-Funf
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
You know what? This is just a truck mirror. I bought mine from Ryder and it works perfectly. I don't know the exact model I got, but I popped it in in about 1 minute, 42 seconds :D

Here's the link where I bought it from...and they're cheap! (http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/browse/srm/oid/-9125/erm/browsecategories.jsp)

But those are vertical...he wants one that is horizontal :rolleyes:

barefoot
02-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Cool...we've got your boat fixed. Now who's next? :D

M-Funf
02-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Maybe a small amount of WD40 and add some twist to it while pulling. When I pulled mine of it scared the crap out of me, but it was then understandably simple. When you put it back on, wipe with a little WD 40 inside the ring like I did mine, to make it easier next time you remove, if ever.

I'd try taking the dash panel off to see if they are secured from the back side before pulling too much. Don't want to break the gauges, they are REALLY hard to find.

barefoot
02-19-2009, 03:54 PM
But those are vertical...he wants one that is horizontal :rolleyes:

woops...my mistake :o

wilbucd
02-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Cool...we've got your boat fixed. Now who's next? :D

Ha, That's just today's questions! I do appreciate all of the advice though.

TMCNo1
02-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Get a good picture of the decal. Take it into a shop to have a replacement made. Get it as close as you can and they'll never be able to tell.

Maybe someone can post a picture of a good one so he can then have one duplicated or make one up as a duplicate on paper. Trophy shops can print them on gold or silver finish aluminum as on the plaques of trophies and they will last a long long time. I have one done that way of the slalom/jump timing chart on the fiberglass next to the observer seat, like this,

TMCNo1
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM

This place, http://www.trimlok.com/ has about any kind and size of trim that you can use to replace the messed up plastic

H20skeefreek
02-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Yes, you can get new ones from West Marine, they look a little different but work exactly the same. Here is what I did with mine:

M-Funf
02-19-2009, 04:14 PM
This place, http://www.trimlok.com/ has about any kind and size of trim that you can use to replace the messed up plastic

This is another source for trim...not THAT kind of trim you degenerates...

www.outwater.com

TMCNo1
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM

Check here, http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?operator=prodIndexRefinementSea rch&originalValue=fuse+holders&L1=Panel-Mount

funk
02-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Yes, you can get new ones from West Marine, they look a little different but work exactly the same. Here is what I did with mine:

Where did you get that material? Was is just an adhesive covering? Looks good.

For some reason though, I feel like i'm on acid!:eek:

H20skeefreek
02-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Just Adhesive vinyl. Got it from a sign shop. I got tired of Hasselhoff looking at me while I drove, so I covered him up.

Sodar
02-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Just Adhesive vinyl. Got it from a sign shop. I got tired of Hasselhoff looking at me while I drove, so I covered him up.

That's funny, because you dash reminded me of this!

http://i.pbase.com/v3/96/492696/1/46405883.hasselhoff.gif

SunCoast 83
02-19-2009, 07:59 PM

I had a local Glass & Mirror Shop re-finish mine withoutthe white plastic boarder. Eventually I just removed it in favor of a winshield mounted mirror. I still have the original though.

SunCoast 83
02-19-2009, 08:02 PM

How or where did you get your dash panels refurbed at? They look great......how much did it cost you?

duckguy
02-19-2009, 08:38 PM
My mirror in the 85 did the exact same thing, It is a truck mirror. Go down to the local tuck stop and pick one up, 10 bucks, 5 minutes. Pic is of my old 85 after I completely re-did the dash/ mirror etc.

ProStar Slalom
02-19-2009, 09:46 PM
For the speedo's: Just remove the 4 screws from the metal panel...pull it toward you...and you can then push out the speedo's from the inside to work on the rings. Edit--I remembered the easier way is to remove the top two screws on the black plastic trim that goes around the panel...that will also allow the entire panel to be pulled forward.

For the mirror: Just remove it and put it in storage. Replace with a much better windshield mounted mirror. You will have two 3/8" holes from the mounting bolts....I just found some plastic caps to "fill" the holes. Original mirror can be replaced at anytime.

Sticker: Sorry, no help.

SunCoast 83
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
looks great...I need to redo my dash next year, jus t dont know how I am going to do it...think I need a graphics shop.