PDA

View Full Version : New Toy for the Boat

stuartmcnair
02-19-2009, 11:07 AM
For all those wondering about a good camera to keep on the boat Canon introduced a new one the other day that looks very promising. I am going to order one at some point but not sure when. Take a look.

Canon D10 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=2590&modelid=18332)

92 190 PS
02-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Can it float....:)

Sodar
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I have been looking at the Waterproof Olympus, but this just adds to the list! Thanks!

BrianM
02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
I have been looking at the Waterproof Olympus, but this just adds to the list! Thanks!
I have had my waterproof Olympus 720SW since they very first came out. Great camera for the money. Now the newer models are also crush proof which is nice. Great camera that takes really good photos in good light the video isn't bad for such a small package either. My only complaint about it is the photo quality in low light situations is not that great. Then again most any small point and shoot is going to have issues with that.

bigmac
02-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Another option that perhaps adds some flexibilty: Canon also makes a line of very well-designed and effective waterproof cases for a large number of their point-and-shoot cameras. I have one for my SD630 and have found it to be very impressive.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EFD143HML._SS500_.jpg
http://mccollister.info/boat/BIW.jpg

Sodar
02-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I have a waterproof case for my Sony, too. I just get annoyed with how bulky it is.

Just a quick question... how do I stop the pooling on the lens of the housing? The water blurs all my pics. Any product to help with this?

Gonzo
02-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I have a waterproof case for my Sony, too. I just get annoyed with how bulky it is.

Just a quick question... how do I stop the pooling on the lens of the housing? The water blurs all my pics. Any product to help with this?

rainx?

Good point by someone above... do they float?

Sodar
02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
I tried Rain-X, but that did not help... it just made it bead up. If I could get something that would get the water to sheet off, it would be great.

wakeX2wake
02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
i'd just take a towel w/ you while you're riding... i think that would help

Sodar
02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
i'd just take a towel w/ you while you're riding... i think that would help

Excellent Idea. :)

bigmac
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Spit works as well as anything.

Sodar
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Spit works as well as anything.

Thanks .

wakeX2wake
02-19-2009, 02:17 PM
better make it a small towel... its won't be nearly as wet as if you take a big towel

Gonzo
02-19-2009, 06:06 PM
better make it a small towel... its won't be nearly as wet as if you take a big towel

How about a SHAMWOW!!

shepherd
02-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I have had my waterproof Olympus 720SW since they very first came out. Great camera for the money. Now the newer models are also crush proof which is nice. Great camera that takes really good photos in good light the video isn't bad for such a small package either. My only complaint about it is the photo quality in low light situations is not that great. Then again most any small point and shoot is going to have issues with that.

I have the Olympus 850SW. My main complaint is the zoom feature won't work while you're recording video. You have to set the zoom before you start shooting. Other than that, it seems like good camera. It doesn't float, but mine came with a nifty little floating wrist strap which is supposed to hold it up.

Justjoe
02-19-2009, 07:21 PM

Try coating the housing with Pledge. I've used it on airplane windshields for years, and it does a GREAT job of staying clear while letting moisture wick away quick.

BrianM
02-20-2009, 09:34 AM
I have the Olympus 850SW. My main complaint is the zoom feature won't work while you're recording video.

That must be a new 'feature.' Zoom works while the video is recording on my 720sw.