PDA

View Full Version : How Many Channel AMP do I need

magnum
02-19-2009, 10:38 AM
My brother is installing 2 towers speakers on his 209. He may also put in a sub. What channel amp will he need to power this . I assume the radio unit powers the speakers in the boat. I thought a 4 channel will work since there is one battery in the boat, Am I wrong about this or will he need a 6 channel? or will this cause a power issue with just one battery

JimN
02-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Not enough info to tell. How much output power, how loud does he want it to be, etc. If he doesn't need separate control over the sub, he could do this with a 4 channel amp but he'll need some crossover parts. If he wants to be able to balance the sub's level with the rest of the speakers, a 4 channel will work if he bridges two channels for the sub, runs the tower on the other two channels and uses the head unit for the cockpit speakers. This is all dependent on how loud he wants it, because if he'll crank the snot out of it, the speakers running on the head unit won't be very loud if the amp is a lot more powerful.

magnum
02-19-2009, 12:20 PM
the Speakers he got for the tower are the JL Audio 7.70 says 40-175 watt. He will not be using them extremely loud but just to have a better sound overall . So if he goes with a 4 channel , He can use 2 of them for the tower and I am not to technical on the crossover but he will need a cross over to use the other 2 channels to power a sub. So if this works , Will his one battery power this 4 channel ok and not take the chance of draining the battery . also could you go with a 6 channel and use 2 channels to power the cockpit speakers or would this drain the battery

leetudor
02-20-2009, 08:07 AM
You could use the Kicker ZX550.3. It is a three channel amp with 85 x 2 and 420 for the subwoofer.