PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Wakeboad

dmayer84
02-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Well I am flying Continental next week down to Ft. Lauderdale for my girlfriends sisters wedding and all the guys are going out wakeboarding one of the days. I want to bring my board down with me but apparently it is $100 extra each way just to bring my board but if I brought my "water skis" it would be regular baggage charges.

Think I can pass my wakeboard off as a waterski?

coz
02-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Well I am flying Continental next week down to Ft. Lauderdale for my girlfriends sisters wedding and all the guys are going out wakeboarding one of the days. I want to bring my board down with me but apparently it is $100 extra each way just to bring my board but if I brought my "water skis" it would be regular baggage charges.

If those dumb a$$es think it looks like a surfboard then you'll pay :confused: traveling with a board these days is like paying for another passenger :mad:

woftam
02-18-2009, 10:13 PM

Only if you cut in half, the long way. How much to ship it ahead?

dmayer84
02-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Paying for it to fly will cost more than my ticket. Might as well just leave it a home at this point

rzafire
02-18-2009, 10:40 PM
take the bindings off and put them in your bag. Then box your board like a package. Might work.

Witness140
02-18-2009, 11:01 PM
A prior hobby of mine was RC helicopters. Travelling around for RC heli events made us acutely aware of airline baggage policies and how to get our stuff to the events without having to ship it. Our situation was far more complicated because of the size of the cases and what was in them. Based on years of doing that.......here's my advice.

Go to your airline's website and read their baggage policies. They are all similar - but have some small differences. Each airline will have a list of sporting goods or equipment that they will allow w/o an extra charge. However, if you can put the item into a case that meets the standard criteria - it doesn't matter what the item actually is. I would shop for my tickets based on baggage policies much of the time. Don't buy a $49 ticket on airline X for example, if they have a baggage policy prohibiting what you want to bring.

For example, on Jetblue, if you could get your wakeboard into a box, case, or container that was 62 inches (L + W + H) then it gets on as a regular checked bag. No need to tell anyone what is in it - doesn't matter. You wouldn't tell them you had underwear and socks in your suitcase, so no need to go blabbering about having a wakeboard in the box. If they ask, answer honestly, but as long as it doesn't exceed the limit, and it's not prohibited material (like a chainsaw or a 5 gallon can of gas) you'll be fine. Problems rise when you walk up to the counter with the box and start asking and offering and bringing attention that you have something other than socks and underwear. Then you are opening a can of worms. Don't open the can - let them open the can.

If you can't fit it in a box or case within limits, JetBlue (just using them as an example) has exceptions for 'waterski equipment' and 'surfboards'

Remember, wether or not you are given a hard time is a random occurence. Most of the airline CSR's don't know the baggage policy either - so you need to make sure you know it before you get to the counter. Smile, play the game. Have the baggage policy printed if you know you are well within it.

Here is JetBlue's policy as an example.

Free Baggage Allowance

* Each customer may bring one bag free of charge. Please note: Customers who booked their reservation prior to May 1, 2008, may continue to bring two bags free of charge.
* Each bag must NOT exceed 62 inches (157.48 centimeters) in overall dimensions (length + width + height) and CANNOT exceed 50 pounds (22.73 kilos).

Skis and Snowboards

Ski and snowboard equipment are not accepted on flights to/from the Dominican
Republic due to checked baggage size restrictions.

There is no additional charge for ski and snowboard equipment on domestic
flights; however, one item of equipment will count as one of your checked bags.

One item of ski equipment is considered:

* One pair of skis, with one pair of snow boots and one pair of ski poles. (Please note: skis and boots in the same or separate bags will be considered as one piece of checked baggage)
* or one snowboard, with one pair of snow boots. Please note: snowboard and boots in the same or separate bags will be considered as one piece of checked baggage. Also note, customers will be charged an excess baggage fee if the snowboard exceeds our checked baggage weight requirements.

The equipment must be checked in at the ticket counter.

All ski equipment must be in a sturdy container for protection since we do not
provide ski boxes.

Water Skiing Equipment

Water ski equipment is not accepted on flights to/from the Dominican Republic due
to checked baggage size restrictions.

There is no additional charge for water ski equipment on domestic flights;
however, one item of equipment will count as one of your checked bags.

One item of water skiing equipment is considered:

* one pair of water skis
* one tow rope
* one life preserver or
* one wakeboard
* One tow rope
* One life preserver

joniron1
02-18-2009, 11:50 PM
watch out for those puddle jumper connections,i always hated flying in small planes.

Wake2wake
02-19-2009, 12:03 AM
watch out for those puddle jumper connections,i always hated flying in small planes.

Ill agree with that, on my last trip back from Rome, (so i had gotten used to the big international flight planes) we got a tin can of a plane back from Cincinnati. Now Ive been on a lot of flights, and that was the loudest roughest flight i have ever been on.

swatguy
02-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Not sure how soon you are leaving but Liquid Force and Ronix both make what they call "golf bags" They are wakeboard bags shaped like golf bags to help you squeeze through the $$$ of paying for wakeboard. Otherwise tell them its a snowboard and get a snowboard bag. (Worked for me)

NEVER TELL THEM ITS A WAKEBOARD!

Also if you can.....check it with a skycap(curbside check in people). Toss em a good tip and they never ask

VOLFAN
02-19-2009, 06:24 AM
just ship down there and ship it back. You can take the bindings off and carry them with you. I like the bag idea. That would be my first choice.

agua4fun
02-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Dont get me started on this one. I go on kiteboard trips and the same restrictions apply. I ended up buying one of these
http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=37&idproduct=55

Looks like a giant golf bag, but fits the kiteboard and kites. funny thing is just once i had an airline person force me to open it, and they ended up making me pay the fee for the board. otherwise it has worked great. (I throw a few golf clubs in also, because they do ask whats in it, and i have a horrible poker face). Havent you heard of golf boarding??? ;)

Prostar Rich
02-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Can you ship the board down there ahead of time via UPS?

Prostar Rich

scott023
02-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Not sure how soon you are leaving but Liquid Force and Ronix both make what they call "golf bags" They are wakeboard bags shaped like golf bags to help you squeeze through the $$$ of paying for wakeboard. Otherwise tell them its a snowboard and get a snowboard bag. (Worked for me)

NEVER TELL THEM ITS A WAKEBOARD!

Also if you can.....check it with a skycap(curbside check in people). Toss em a good tip and they never ask

Swatguy is dead on.... this is precisely what I do. I have a SKB hard case for my golf clubs that I can fit about anything into...I have never been charged extra for checking it, no matter what was in it (golf clubs or wakeboard). I would guess that a soft case golf bag would work as well, and are fairly inexpensive at any golf shop. Good luck.

wakeX2wake
02-19-2009, 09:36 AM
i'd just stick it under your arm w/ the fins in your checked bag... tell them its a medical device... that'll usually work

Witness140
02-19-2009, 09:37 AM
I just checked baggage policies for UAL, Delta/NWA, Jetblue, and USAirways.

Each of these carriers has exceptions and special categories for waterski equipment or snowboards.

Golf equipment is a special category just like waterski equipment is. Think of how illogical it is that you are letting them force you into putting a wakeboard into an SKB case and calling it golf equipment. That is the same thing as throwing golf clubs into a waterski bag and calling it waterski equipment.

Do not get all wrapped around the axle about this - the policies exist to allow us to carry this stuff as checked baggage with no fees. In each case above, except JetBlue, they assume that you split the skis or board from the bindings. They credit you though, so that the bindings go in their own bag, then the board goes in another - and they only consider that to be "1 bag." The CSR's may randomly say no, or they may randomly try to charge. If you let them, and don't have knowledge of actual policy - you will pay. Doesn't mean you had to - just means you let them.

Know the policies, print them, bring them with you - and no problems. Or, don't read the policies, go along with mob mentality. and just let them put you into a panic attack about it, make you pay, or force you to ride a loaner board or borrow one.

Witness140
02-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Also just checked SWA, Airtran, Spirit and Continental.

Continental unfortunately has lumped a wakeboard into the surfboard category. You will have to pay on continental. So watch out if you buy a COA itinerary and be mindful of NWA/DAL codeshares. Know whose paint you are riding on. In reality - just know whose counter you need to check it at, that is what is controlling.

SWA looks ok as does Airtran.

Spirit looks like the only other odd duck, but they are no frills and cheap, so no wonder. They have no category.

These categories were created by the airlines because of external pressure. Perhaps it is time for everyone here to contact USAwaterski or the other sanctioning membership organizations. All it will take to get wakeboards universally accepted as their own category is a clouted organization or group to negotiate directly with the airlines.

After all, how do you think 'antlers' got on the special approved list? Some executive type at United did not wake up one morning and decide it was ok. There were probably issues repeatedly with folks trying to take them, until they got their sanctioning body to contact UAL.