PDA

View Full Version : 205V/X1/X2 owners - ever pulled the carpet back inside the observers' compartment?

brucemac
02-18-2009, 08:09 PM
This may be a silly question, but I'm wondering if any 205V/X1/X2 owners have pulled back the carpet on the inside wall inside the observer's compartment? I'll find out soon enough, but what I'm wondering is, it looks like they glassed something in there for backing. That's great and all, but it's not all that wide. There's a jog in the walkway as well, about a foot or so from the compartment opening and the backing appears to end there. Is there any backing after that little 2in jog? I can't tell right now because I have amplifer's installed on the small backing that's there and have someone coming to help me this weekend. I want him to see what's there now before we yank it all out. I need to somehow end up with a ~24in flat surface in there of either 1/2in or 5/8 backing. Does that make sense? Anybody ever peeled that carpet back to do something similar?

kskib046
02-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Never pulled the carpet all the way back, just felt around. I ended up fitting a 1/2 sheet of plywood in that area.

TOO-TALL
02-18-2009, 09:06 PM
I think the backing material is plastic square sheets 1/8 or 1/4 think.The reason I say it plastic.
When I removed the stock hard ballast tanks i could see a peice of backing behind the carpet that the mounting brackets were screwed too.When I removed the screws there was bits of plastic around the threads.
Looks like the same thing is used to mount the amps.

brucemac
02-18-2009, 09:38 PM
yeah, i think you're right. i was just wondering if there's any type of backing or blocks glassed in deeper inside past that little jog. you can take your fingers and run them along the carpet and feel where it's raised an inch or two about a foot inside the opening. my hunch is that the piece they have in there is pretty small and it only goes to the jog.

mccobmd
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I may suffer from lack of inquisitiveness but I never gave a thought to pulling back well applied carpet to look under it. But...:popcorn:

Wake2wake
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
well im not sure how it comes from the factory, but when i bought my boat this last summer, there was a small alpine amp in the area that you are talking about. there is some kind of backing back in behind the carpet there before the little jog, but i don't think there is anything past that, other than the one on the back of the forward seats there in the compartment. ill see if i can pull up some pictures of mine. its still "under construction", I have a lot of work to do with it, but you'll see where mine are mounted, which as far as i can tell is all of the backing already in there.

I think im going to be adding a new panel there on the outside wall this spring like was brought up in a recent thread.

brucemac
02-18-2009, 11:45 PM
I may suffer from lack of inquisitiveness but I never gave a thought to pulling back well applied carpet to look under it. But...:popcorn:

smarty pants :p

well im not sure how it comes from the factory, but when i bought my boat this last summer, there was a small alpine amp in the area that you are talking about. there is some kind of backing back in behind the carpet there before the little jog, but i don't think there is anything past that, other than the one on the back of the forward seats there in the compartment. ill see if i can pull up some pictures of mine. its still "under construction", I have a lot of work to do with it, but you'll see where mine are mounted, which as far as i can tell is all of the backing already in there.

I think im going to be adding a new panel there on the outside wall this spring like was brought up in a recent thread.

okay, thanks. looks like i'll have to fir it out. i don't have room behind the forward seat. maybe i will end up having to make somewhat of a false wall or short box.

swatguy
02-19-2009, 12:52 AM
I pulled my carpet back and installed and amp rack in there. There is a little nub tht is there that just makes it a pain in the arse to run a full sheet of plywood there and get it flat. So what did was trim out the "nub" and then put a full sheet over it to give me a noce smooth surface. It was kind of a pain. Had to build up around the factory amp rack(the black glassed in) Back in 2000 the only gave you a small section. I believe now the have the whole wall a rack from the "nub" back. Don't quote me on that, but now you can get at least 2 amps from factory so I can only assume the enlarged it. I went with plywood and sealed it. Could have went with a materiel starboard I think its called, but it was expensive relatively speaking and I had plywood on hand.

I will try and get you some pics. They are on my old computer as I just got a new laptop and am moving things as we speak. I know I have thepics somewhere. I also just peeled the carpet back and just re-glued it back in place 0 problems and it looks clean if you ask me.

swatguy
02-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Better yeat here's my link t o my install. The wires are all cleaned up now. Those were just rough draft pictures to make sure it was all wired correctly and worked.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=23421

Hope this helps

brucemac
02-19-2009, 01:58 AM
swatguy thanks a ton, that's exactly what i was after, however, now i'm sorry i asked! what the f is that nub!? oh my god, that's going to be a total pita. lol. going to go back and look at those more closely. thanks again swatguy. :)

brucemac
02-19-2009, 02:00 AM
hey swat, did you have a "tunnel" over to the helm? those two wires below the nub, where do they go?

brucemac
02-19-2009, 02:14 AM
hey one more question swat, did you mount your power and ground distribution blocks on the left or the right of the amps? would you do it differently if you had to do it all over again?

i'm thinking about mounting my larger amp (around 19in wide or so) horizontal on top and then the smaller amp down below to the left with the disti blocks low and on the right where yours are. both amps power and ground is on the right so it make sense, but wondered if you wished they were on the far side of the storage area for any reason?

TX.X-30 fan
02-19-2009, 02:49 PM

Carpet cleaner???

swatguy
02-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Bruce,

The wires are to my remote bass knobs and I wired my Amps to accessory switches on my dash. This way I can turn the interiors off if I want to just run the tower speakers, or just run the interiors and not the towers, or run both. The tunnel is already there on your boat. Use a coat hanger or a fish tape. Where the bow walk meets the cabin there is a lip there to keep water from rolling back to the cabin. It hollow underneath so it is a straight shot across to driver side. Problem is it will only hold a few wires due to its diameter.

This is what I have going through mine.
-remote wires to acc switches for both amps
-Speaker wire for sub
-Bass remote wire
-ipod accessory cable

I didn't have enough room to run my RCA's to my PAC audio knob that adjusts the sound emitted through the cabins. This switch(on the right of the dash...black knob) allows me to reduce the volume of the cabin speakers without touching my radio volume dial(had to run them around the bow with a 12 ft cable). It is a must have if you ask me. Most people with high end stereos run an EQ to do this, but this 19.99 part at the most is the poor mans EQ per say. This way if you want to run tower speakers and not blast everyone out in the boat you can reduce the tunage coming from the cabins without turning down the towers speakers and adjusting the volume on your head unit. I chose to run my tower speakers off 1 amd and my cabins and sub off another. This way when my wife and kids are in the boat I don't blast them out. I don't even run the cabins while I am boarding unless the kiddies are not there.

What would I do different?

Not really sure. I am happy with my setup. Not a professional installer by any means and I was n a tight budget so /i went the route I did. As to the distribution blocks. .....Once you fig out where you want to mount the amps then worry about where you want to locate the d-blocks. I wanted to keep it near the battery and use as little wire as possible.

Amp size will determine pretty much what your options are. My one buddy who has an 2001 X-Star mounted one amp on the wall in the factory spot and another on the spacer/wall that meets the long observer side bench and the observer seat. My 2nd amp was a tad big for that location. His sits about 1.5 inches off the floor down there so getting wet has never been a problem and the lip from the seat base on the top doesn't allow water from a wet observer to get it wet. Just the power wires get hard to keep clean because you can't drill into that round edge under the observer seat base to hang ties or loop due to the fact the screws will come out into the cabin.

Another location that I have seen on Wakeworld and another guy I know used is actually up right behind the bow seat directly below the radio. Again amp size will determine if that can work for you. It is flat and fiberglassed so you can drill/screw right into that. Again depends on amp size.

That nub wasn't hard to negate to be honest. It is frikin annoying though. Don't know what purpose it serves, but once you get in there you can get around it. Trace the shape on carboard first. This way you can move it around much easier and trim it up to your exact specs and then trace it on the wood.

I really like having my amps up off the floor as far as they are. Also being on that interior wall keeps them dry. My wall on the gunwhale side gets some seapage when it rains so I don't thing I would want to mount them on that side. Those dam cutouts/air flow ducts that MC has up there leak a little no matter how hard I tried to seal them in the rain.

Wake2wake
02-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Carpet cleaner???

Yeah ive been working on that area quite a bit with no luck. it was like that when we bought it. Its from the vent right above that, it wasnt sealed well, and I have since replaced the hose.

brucemac
02-19-2009, 06:52 PM
swatguy, i really REALLY want to thank you for your time. that's super good info and very helpful.

i'm pretty excited to get at it. meeting my friend early saturday morning at his shop to get started. don't know how far we'll get, but without the wife and kids around, it should go fairly quickly. :)

also great to know about the tunnel. i remember reading that on ski-dog, or ric's (can't remember) post while searching, but i thought maybe that was a 197 thing. ;)

those pictures and your replies were super helpful. thanks again for that write-up.

i'll post up some pics when we get it done.

--b

mccobmd
02-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Hey Brucemac, I'm just jealous because I have zero total DIY project ability, but that doesn't stop me from stealing good idea's and paying people to do it for me.

swatguy
02-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Bruce,

read that you were moving right along. How are things going and what did you decide to do?

rrbooker
02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Swatguy boat looks great! That's the first time i've seen your pics since i last talked to you.

brucemac
02-26-2009, 11:18 AM
swat, yeah it's coming. slowly but surely. takes quite a bit more time than i thought it would. i have a new found respect for professional mobile audio installers.

i got everything tacked in and have been trying to find time to tune everything and set the gains and crossovers properly on the amps. i think i finally got that part done last night. it's tough trying to do that in the garage with the wife and kiddos around. :)

i put the larger amp horizontal up top and the smaller amp below it on the left (toward the bow) on the same wall. we ran out of time last weekend and i just couldn't justify spending $50 on a piece of abs so we pulled the carpet back, sealed up a piece of wood, screwed it into the right hand side where there is backing and then ended up being able to screw 1/2 and 3/4in screws on the left hand side with no additional backing. the previous installers had secured one amp, the relay and the old fuse blocks on that left hand side with surprisingly large screws and we even pulled out 1in'ers! Once we saw that, we were less concerned about having to have a solid one piece backer so we just firred out the right hand side, test fit everything and called it a day.

all that's really left is cleaning everything up; screwing down the amps all the way and fastening RCA's, speaker wires and relays with wire loom. i've probably got a good half day of that and cleaning up. i should hopefully have new pics this weekend.

it sounds really good. i'm kind of anxious to replace those clarions now though.
here's a pic from monday night. :) you probably saw this already.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6944/dscn2600small.jpg

thanks again for your time and the help. much appreciated. :)

mccobmd
02-26-2009, 03:08 PM
See bruce, that's exactly what I'm talking about, I look at that and think "How much am I going to have to pay someone to get this to work right?" Awesome job.

brucemac
02-26-2009, 06:13 PM
don't let the cordless and the mess in the boat fool ya. i have no idea what i'm doing. ;)

seriously though, i'm not all that handy. i'm much better at ripping stuff apart than i will ever be at putting it back together. :D i enjoy electronics, home theater, etc. so this wasn't all that bad and i had some experienced help for a day. that helped a ton.

i would have been more comfortable with paying someone to do it, but finding someone here locally was challenging and i would have had to save up some more money to do so. doing it myself allowed me to pull the trigger a little sooner. i would have been into someone for a day, day and a half of labor i'm sure. the hardest part for me has been having to walk away from it unfinished every night. :)

also, this stuff can sometimes be like cooking. it always tastes a little better when someone else makes it. :)

swatguy
02-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Looks nice. Enjoy

Rrbooker,

No problem. Thanks again for the help. She's still running strong.