PDA

View Full Version : Ballast pump replacement

Smoothie
02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
How hard is it to just replace a ballast pump on my 02 X Star. I think I have a bad pump. Dealer says its working when I leave then when I go to use it. Locked up. Dealer did replace the impellar. seems to me it should be a plug and play type of thing.

Jerseydave
02-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Should be just an electrical plug, 2 hoses and 4 mounting screws. Try running it without the impeller. Also do you have the newer yellow impellers? They don't get "stuck" as easy as the black ones. Soak the impeller with binding lube before putting it back together.

Smoothie
02-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Where would you guys suggest getting a new pump does anyone know what the latest part number is? I have seen them all over the web various pricing from 170-270. I believe they replaced the impeller with the newer yellow impeller.

woody
02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
When you say it ain't working is that because the pump ain't running or the tank isn't filling?

....this might not help but I've had intermittent problems on the rear pump in our 05 X2 since we got it and just like you state when ever its been at the dealer it works perfectly... pump runs (can tell from the noise it makes) but water doesn't fill tanks, we repaced impellor and finally figured that it probably comes down to we've somehow got "stuff" in the ballast tank that sometimes clogs the pump or one of the pipes.

As it works 9 times out of 10 we haven't pulled the system apart to clear things, and when it isn't filling pump tone changes so flicking between fill and empty a bunch of times usually fixes it.

Smoothie
02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Two different dealers have taken it out and it runs forward and backwards replaced the impeller. Just wondering when it trys to suck water if it wont. You maybe right I was thinking of swapping it with a pump I know is working. Also considering taking out the hard tanks and replacing with 450 fat sacks. I will ask my dealer how they did their testing.

TX.X-30 fan
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Two different dealers have taken it out and it runs forward and backwards replaced the impeller. Just wondering when it trys to suck water if it wont. You maybe right I was thinking of swapping it with a pump I know is working. Also considering taking out the hard tanks and replacing with 450 fat sacks. I will ask my dealer how they did their testing.

I have that same pump that spins and won't suck or empty. new pump I guess for both of us.

Smoothie
02-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Yeah mine is on an 02 X Star I bought used this winter. That pump has never worked right so I guess your right. Does anyone know the part number or just the Jabsco Ballast Puppy.

sand2snow22
02-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I have that same pump that spins and won't suck or empty. new pump I guess for both of us.

Have you checked to see if the impeller is toast, yet?

TX.X-30 fan
02-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Have you checked to see if the impeller is toast, yet?

All have the new impellers, Could be a clogged line I guess? It is the pump that everyone says is upside down. Can i pull it and bench test it with a battery?

sand2snow22
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
All have the new impellers, Could be a clogged line I guess? It is the pump that everyone says is upside down. Can i pull it and bench test it with a battery?

Not sure. I know that is the pump my dealer replaced under warranty. I have a 2005. I would just replace it. Talk to the dealer, might be able to get it done for free since it's a well known problem :o

TX.X-30 fan
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Be a good excuse to head to TX ski ranch.