PDA

View Full Version : 93 Prostar 205 steering question

footnbum
02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
When I accelerate or let go of my steering wheel, it spins a hard left.
Is this a rudder issue? Is it difficult to take off the rudder and have it repaired?
How much can I expect to spend? Can I do it myself?

east tx skier
02-17-2009, 06:59 PM
When I accelerate or let go of my steering wheel, it spins a hard left.
Is this a rudder issue? Is it difficult to take off the rudder and have it repaired?
How much can I expect to spend? Can I do it myself?

Your rudder had the trailing edge filed at the factory. This "loaded" or "torqued" rudder makes the boat easier to hold straight at speed because you're not forced to make constant corrections. Just lock your left elbow in and hold the line. Give it time and you'll never want it to feel any other way.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2804&stc=1&d=1129056132

Chicago190
02-17-2009, 08:37 PM
East, shouldn't his boat turn hard right? I don't know if its a problem that his goes left (I assume the opposite edge of the rudder filed), but isn't that just fighting the torque created from the prop turning? I know you've had that brand with the engine that spins the wrong way for awhile now...

east tx skier
02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Yes, it ought to go right. But there's no reason it can't be made to go left. I'm working bit by bit to make my right hand rotation boat pull right. I had a little help as someone had filed it neutral.

Just taking a little off at a time.