PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Submarines Collide Deep in the Atlantic

trickskier
02-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Check out the link below:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090216/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_sub_collision

thatsmrmastercraft
02-16-2009, 09:25 PM
When my kid brother was about 8 years old he was riding his bike down the street with his eyes closed (to see how far he could ride) and ran into a parked car. Are we talking the same thing here?

uawaterskier
02-16-2009, 09:38 PM
honestly...what are the odds

Jesus_Freak
02-17-2009, 12:50 PM
When my kid brother was about 8 years old he was riding his bike down the street with his eyes closed (to see how far he could ride) and ran into a parked car. Are we talking the same thing here?

If one of the subs were parked on the ocean floor, then......yes! :D

wakeX2wake
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
has anyone seen how big the ocean is?... no kidding... i bet the chances that i and my single friends all marry supermodels is greater than two nuclear submarines hitting each other in the atlantic ocean

ski_king
02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I bet the Britsh one was a yellow submarine.

shepherd
02-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Any word yet on whether France surrendered after the incident?

M-Funf
02-17-2009, 02:01 PM
honestly...what are the odds

About the same as the odds of two satellites colliding in space :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Any word yet on whether France surrendered after the incident?

Good one Shep. :D

TX.X-30 fan
02-17-2009, 05:09 PM
About the same as the odds of two satellites colliding in space :rolleyes:

Same as a junior senator from Illinois being elected President?? :D

03 35th Anniversary
02-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Same as a junior senator from Illinois being elected President?? :D

:uglyhamme:headbang::purplaugh

SkiDog
02-17-2009, 06:16 PM
:uglyhamme:headbang::purplaugh

Or Dale Jr. making TWO screwups in the pits @ Daytona!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
In an attempt at giving this rediculous accident some serious thought, I had to imagine the differences between the British sub and the French sub. After pondering that for a while, I came to the conclusion that the British sub commander was probably playing around with the French sub while the French sub was completely oblivious to this (assuming that the British Navy is technolocically superior to the French Navy). Then, at an inopportune moment, the French sub made an unexpected move, and BANG!

I gave up believing in coincidences a long time ago, and the odds are way too great for anything other than monkey business.

shepherd
02-17-2009, 10:33 PM
There's no monkey business in the Royal Navy. :cool:

Especially since they discontinued the daily rum ration.

Day Ends Rum Rations for British Navy
July 31, 2008 12:10 AM
by findingDulcinea Staff

On July 31, 1970, Britain’s Royal Navy officially stopped its daily ration of rum to crewmembers aboard naval ships, ending a centuries-old tradition.

“Up Spirits” was the famous call that seamen aboard navy vessels had heard each day at noon for more than three centuries, signaling them to report to the deck and receive a tot, or shot, of rum.

The daily tot of rum was first served to British seafarers in 1655, and from then on it played a prominent role in everyday life for men out at sea. The tradition was started to give workers some sort of beverage that wouldn’t rot in barrels, and that could boost the spirits of men on a long journey.

The officer in charge of dispensing the rum onboard ship was called the purser. Mispronunciations eventually gave way to calling the rum “Pusser’s.” The name stuck and Pusser’s is now a popular brand of rum, especially with the older generation of Brits.

When the daily tot was finally abolished on July 31, 1970—a day that came to be known as Black Tot Day—there were mixed reactions. Naturally the crewmembers were most upset. But the Royal Navy had acquired far more sophisticated supplies since 1655—supplies that wouldn’t rot in a barrel. More importantly, the navy needed the crews to be alert and sober to operate the technologically advanced equipment.

Ships and other establishments bemoaned the dark day in many different ways. Some buried their tot along with a headstone, and others threw their final ration overboard.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-17-2009, 11:11 PM
There's no monkey business in the Royal Navy. :cool:

Especially since they discontinued the daily rum ration.

Day Ends Rum Rations for British Navy
July 31, 2008 12:10 AM
by findingDulcinea Staff

On July 31, 1970, Britain’s Royal Navy officially stopped its daily ration of rum to crewmembers aboard naval ships, ending a centuries-old tradition.

“Up Spirits” was the famous call that seamen aboard navy vessels had heard each day at noon for more than three centuries, signaling them to report to the deck and receive a tot, or shot, of rum.

The daily tot of rum was first served to British seafarers in 1655, and from then on it played a prominent role in everyday life for men out at sea. The tradition was started to give workers some sort of beverage that wouldn’t rot in barrels, and that could boost the spirits of men on a long journey.

The officer in charge of dispensing the rum onboard ship was called the purser. Mispronunciations eventually gave way to calling the rum “Pusser’s.” The name stuck and Pusser’s is now a popular brand of rum, especially with the older generation of Brits.

When the daily tot was finally abolished on July 31, 1970—a day that came to be known as Black Tot Day—there were mixed reactions. Naturally the crewmembers were most upset. But the Royal Navy had acquired far more sophisticated supplies since 1655—supplies that wouldn’t rot in a barrel. More importantly, the navy needed the crews to be alert and sober to operate the technologically advanced equipment.

Ships and other establishments bemoaned the dark day in many different ways. Some buried their tot along with a headstone, and others threw their final ration overboard.

I stand corrected.

wakeX2wake
02-18-2009, 01:39 PM
just because he's not drunk and running a ship doesn't mean he's not a horse's @$$...

i kind of like mrmastercraft's theory and accept it as my own... (don't worry your origination will be noted)

dog paw
02-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Rum ration? Wow, talk about old habits dieing hard. Boy I bet the sailor of 1700 would get a kick out of the "harpoons" on todays ships.

French Cap't was prolly tring to pull off a spin out to mess up the water for the Brits...

Witness140
02-18-2009, 07:25 PM
has anyone seen how big the ocean is?... no kidding...

I guess that is what they once thought about how big the sky is.....