PDA

View Full Version : Who uses the engine kill switch lanyard?

Chicago190
02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Stole this topic from Wakeworld. I never use it because everytime I get in the drivers seat I slide it forward so I can comfortably sit upright, and I can't see of anyway I would be thrown out of the seat. I also boat on a small, semi-private lake that I could probably navigate blind folded.

TX.X-30 fan
02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Mine is hooked to the boat key is that wrong??

Chicago190
02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Mine is hooked to the boat key is that wrong??

I think you're supposed to hook it to your shorts, so if you're thrown out of the boat for some reason the engine cuts out.

SkiDog
02-16-2009, 06:13 PM
I will use it if for some reason I get in some really bad weather with some high chop on the water.

BriEOD
02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
I purchased a neoprene wrist wrap from Overtons and have it attached to the clip on the end of the lanyard. I put the bracelet on my wrist while I'm driving. When I get up I just slip the bracelet over the throttle.

TMCNo1
02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I purchased a neoprene wrist wrap from Overtons and have it attached to the clip on the end of the lanyard. I put the bracelet on my wrist while I'm driving. When I get up I just slip the bracelet over the throttle.

I've seen one of those before!

TX.X-30 fan
02-16-2009, 07:47 PM

I bet that's cute too. :D

If my a$$ is thrown out we have bigger issues than the motor running. 8p

BriEOD
02-16-2009, 07:53 PM

That depends...who just threw you out and is heading off with your wife and kids!!8p

east tx skier
02-16-2009, 07:55 PM
I thought that thing was to attach your beer to so it would stay cool??? So, uh, yes.

TX.X-30 fan
02-16-2009, 08:07 PM
That depends...who just threw you out and is heading off with your wife and kids!!8p

Good point, and tell the suburbans to leave please.

agua4fun
02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
I think you're supposed to hook it to your shorts, so if you're thrown out of the boat for some reason the engine cuts out.

Somehow it would end up keeping my shorts in the boat, yet still allow me to fly out...... yep, that would happen to me 8p

lanier92prostar
02-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Mine is hardwired. had trouble with the kill switch several years ago at a remote lake. Hardwired it and forgot about it until this thread.

WTRSK1R
02-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Only time I have ever used it is when I do not want the boat to start when bumping the engine over while working on getting the impeller out.

scott023
02-17-2009, 09:57 AM

My thoughts exactly...:D

Sodar
02-17-2009, 10:19 AM
No... if I ever catch myself wearing one, I will kick my own @ss. I can legitimately not see one reason to wear it in any watersports boat.

I do wear the kill switch when I get into other boats that have a real chance of tossing me out of. I also, always wear a kill switch when Kathy and I ride the Sea Doo together!

Hi Stoooooooeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy! :D

shepherd
02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Safety is overrated. :cool:

wakeX2wake
02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
i'm like several others here... i can see the point on some vessels but it the water is rough... i'm not on it... not to mention the free board is so high on my X2 it would take some serious not paying attention to remove me from that driver's seat... each time i put it on (b/c i see the shore patrol) it also never fails... i forget and yank it out then spend a min or two trying to get the agrivating back in there just right so i can continue w/ my day... i mean really as the main driver i'm up and down too much w/ ropes and all that... we often have a lot of noobs w/ us and i'd rather get up and fix whatever situation there is than try to explain to someone else how to do it

ttu
02-17-2009, 11:25 AM
only in bad weather or rough water.

i also have a 07 x2 and it would take a heck of a wake to knock me out.

2RLAKE
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
that safety lanyard is a perfect practical joke just waiting to happen. Visit a friend's boat when they are not there and pull it off enough so that it trips the switch ... amazing how long it will take some people to check that .... while their boat wont start

another favorite (which i was the recipient of) is to pop off someone's prop while their boat is on a lift!

M-Funf
02-17-2009, 12:31 PM
What year did they add the safety? My boat doesn't have it.

cbryan70
02-17-2009, 12:31 PM
My boat doesnt have one....period

TX.X-30 fan
02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
What year did they add the safety? My boat doesn't have it.

I will take that as a no. :D

M-Funf
02-17-2009, 02:01 PM
I will take that as a no. :D

I probably wouldn't use it even if I did have it, but you are correct...that's a "no". 8p

VOLFAN
02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
I will wear it in a fishing boat (going at a high rate of speed) I use to always keep it attached to my life jacket and when I got to where I was going I took my life jacket off.

In a ski boat I do not wear it.

You know when I have ran across people having trouble starting their boat 75% of the time it is becasue someone has messed with it while they was sitting around. No one ever seems to think to check that as one of the first things that might be wrong.

TX.X-30 fan
02-17-2009, 04:27 PM
x2 the bass boat is a must.

Sodar
02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
x2 the bass boat is a must.

Exactly.... any thing that goes over 44.3 mph at WOT! :rolleyes:

shepherd
03-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Here is an interesting option: http://www.autotether.com/

shepherd
03-05-2009, 10:40 AM
You can strap it to your kid too, at the lake, the beach, around the pool... It sounds off an alarm when they go underwater.

flipper
03-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I don't even have mine hooked up. On one of the engine swaps, i bypassed it

X-5_Driver
03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't wear it, nor do I wear a PFD while sitting in driver's seat. Danger is my middle name.

djhuff
03-05-2009, 12:52 PM
I pull mine off when I'm changing the impeller, that's it, otherwise it just hangs there.

Shoot, my buddy has a stand up jetski that has it bypassed. It just goes in circles at idle unless you are on it. Thing is a pain to start, especially where you can't stand up.

MCVOLS
03-05-2009, 02:19 PM
On my MC, no. I did see a guy in a bass boat let go of the wheel and get tossed, then watched his own boat hit him because he didn't have one on. Luckily he was able to drag his arm down the gunwale and knock it out of gear as he was being hit.

X-5 Driver
03-05-2009, 02:21 PM
On my MC, no. I did see a guy in a bass boat let go of the wheel and get tossed, then watched his own boat hit him because he didn't have one on. Luckily he was able to drag his arm down the gunwale and knock it out of gear as he was being hit.

Holy crap! That could have been ugly.

wakeX2wake
03-26-2009, 04:58 PM
ok i did it... i just got finished de-winterizing and turned over the key to make sure everything was on... the kill switch was laying in the cupholder... i didn't realize this until i had called rambo marine and the service manager and he told me to check the lanyard... needless to say he got a good kick out of that fact and the choice couple of good spirited cuss words i had to offer after realizing this... well i'd like to hang around and see what everyone has to say but i'm off to the water!!!

JohnnyB
03-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Never use it.

I should just bypass it as it has given me trouble.

scott023
03-28-2009, 09:41 AM
ok i did it... i just got finished de-winterizing and turned over the key to make sure everything was on... the kill switch was laying in the cupholder... i didn't realize this until i had called rambo marine and the service manager and he told me to check the lanyard... needless to say he got a good kick out of that fact and the choice couple of good spirited cuss words i had to offer after realizing this... well i'd like to hang around and see what everyone has to say but i'm off to the water!!!

That's awesome... I can imagine myself in that situation. I might say I was a work and the wife was actually the one who could'nt bet it started...:D