PDA

View Full Version : Sirius/XM

ski_king
02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Who out there is a subscriber?
Is Sirius/XM going to survive or is going to go extinct?

I have about 3 weeks left on my 6 month subscription that came with my truck and I was about to renew it with the $399 lifetime package, but with all the news that Sirius/XM is about to go bankrupt, I am afraid to.

Thoughts????

BCBlazers
02-16-2009, 05:46 PM
i'm thinkin they're goin under, no body has the expendable income to be spendin money on radio...i'd prolly wait a little while before you spent 399 bucks...

chudson
02-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Didn't know anything about their financial problems till now, so I googled Sirius/XM. Doesn't sound good............

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10463695/1/sirius-xm-merger-options-growing.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN

That's was the first thing to come up, but BCBlasers says it good above. I'd hate to see Dish loose it, I listen to Sirius alot!

SkiDog
02-16-2009, 05:58 PM
If they would get rid of that genious Howard Stern, they might just make it. He's got NO business making the kinda of money he does. He's a 'has-been', IMO. As weel as 'Bubba the love sponge; who's also gone back to terrestrial radio. He does a morning show in Jacksonville on Rock105. As much as he bashed FM radio, I'm really surprised he went back.

ski_king
02-16-2009, 06:01 PM
I understand Echostar has been buying up a lot of Sirius debt and is ready for a takeover once they file.
I am not sure where that will leave current subscribers.
One one hand I think I should hurry and renew my subscription and on the other hand, I am thinking of holding off.
I dont want to flush $399 right now, so another option is to jut reup for a 3 month subscription.

Then again, maybe just put the money towards a new Ipod.... and forget the Sirius, it came free with the truck....

brianpt
02-16-2009, 06:05 PM
it would be sad lost to loose satalite radio dont get much for radio in nothern alberta could only get cbc radio canada a lot off times but if i was you just renew for the month till you know wich way there going to go no sense loosing 399 for now

BriEOD
02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm on there and am waiting to see what happens.

TX.X-30 fan
02-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I dropped my sirius on the boat because no one could ever explain the crappy reception.

DBR
02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
One thing is for sure, if people don't renew their subscription they're more likely to fold.

bucky
02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Satellite radio is here to stay. The problems sirius/xm is facing are caused by the debt they ran up before they had a subscriber base (read: poor management). Now there is a huge subscriber base and the business is profitable finally, but they have $1B in debt hanging over there head. If sirius folds or is bought out, which is inevitable (ask me about the 2000 shares I bought at $1.41), someone (echostar) will pick up the pieces. They will just re-organize, and the subscribers won't even notice.

Slinkyredfoot
02-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Who out there is a subscriber?
Is Sirius/XM going to survive or is going to go extinct?

I have about 3 weeks left on my 6 month subscription that came with my truck and I was about to renew it with the $399 lifetime package, but with all the news that Sirius/XM is about to go bankrupt, I am afraid to.

Thoughts????

I just re upped after my subscription ended. I like several music channels that I listen to quite a bit

I was told by a trusted freind not to buy the lifetime deal for two reasons... one, if you sell the vehicle that the subscription is purchased for, that in a lot of cases, this subscription goes with that vehicle if and when you sell it. and two..have you looked ate their stock price over the last year?

I opted for the one year deal for two equal payments of $69 bucks and some change..

I spend a lot more than that for alcohol in a couple of three months or less...

JimN
02-16-2009, 10:38 PM
I originally signed up after getting DirecTV and really liked the music stations. My starting price was $6.95/mo and when they wanted to raise it to some insane amount, I called and complained, so they said that if I signed up for a year, they'd do it for the same rate. At about the same time, they dropped Beyond Jazz and some of the other channels, but added Sirius. Watercolors is Smooth Jazz and I HATE SMOOTH FREAKIN' JAZZ! They play way too much Kenny G (one song is too much, IMO) and the sound quality of Sirius sucks com pared with XM. Even if I didn't think Stern was a complete moron (which I do), enough of the value was lost for me that I couldn't see any point in continuing. I liked it, had great reception and while it was a great change from commercial radio, it's not a life-altering experience and I still have the music channels on satellite TV. Now, I need to figure out what to do with my RoadieXT.

Yellow X9
02-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Satellite radio is here to stay. The problems sirius/xm is facing are caused by the debt they ran up before they had a subscriber base (read: poor management). Now there is a huge subscriber base and the business is profitable finally, but they have $1B in debt hanging over there head. If sirius folds or is bought out, which is inevitable (ask me about the 2000 shares I bought at $1.41), someone (echostar) will pick up the pieces. They will just re-organize, and the subscribers won't even notice.

2000 shares I bought at $1.41), Just think, Sirius XM stock rose .03 today from .07 to.10

Hope it gets back to 1.41 for you, and yes they paid to much for Howard $550M for 5 yrs.
New Subscriber base has declined over the past 2 years due to New vehicle sales declining and people tightening there pocket books and something callled buyers remorse, ie Chain stores, inter-net sales. Up until my Feb 1st, the company I work for was the US main supply chain for Sirius

Yellow X9
02-17-2009, 01:11 AM
I dropped my sirius on the boat because no one could ever explain the crappy reception.

Try putting the antenna up on the tower, if u have it mounted on the hull

Moved my and several friends antennas to the top of the tower and has worked flawless ever since

iplount
02-17-2009, 03:04 AM
I have Sirius and enjoy the music. It's great around where I live because radio reception is so bad. Also when traveling I don't have to worry about finding other stations. I also think Stern is damn funny. I would be dissapointed to see it go under.

VOLFAN
02-17-2009, 07:24 AM
I hope it stays! I have two xm radios. One in each car and I carry mine into the office and plug it up! That is pretty much all I listen too.

ski_king
02-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Updated news. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aaeLMEC6WSAE&refer=home) Liberty may bail them out.

ski_king
02-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I just re upped after my subscription ended. I like several music channels that I listen to quite a bit

I was told by a trusted freind not to buy the lifetime deal for two reasons... one, if you sell the vehicle that the subscription is purchased for, that in a lot of cases, this subscription goes with that vehicle if and when you sell it. and two..have you looked ate their stock price over the last year?

I opted for the one year deal for two equal payments of $69 bucks and some change..

I spend a lot more than that for alcohol in a couple of three months or less...

Considering I kept my last truck for 11 years, the lifetime subscription sounded like a no brainer to me. You get the lifetime subscription for about what you would pay for 39 months.

Also, I am finding that the more I listen to the stations I like, I am finding out they have a short play list. Right now my favorite station is Classic Vinyl (14) and I am hearing the same songs frequently.

Witness140
02-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I just did my part and signed back up for 5 months at 19.99. Like clockwork, each time my subscription ends, I let it lapse. They call once more and I again opt not to renew. Then 2 weeks goes by, and they always call with the 5 month for 19.99 deal.

Slinkyredfoot
02-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Considering I kept my last truck for 11 years, the lifetime subscription sounded like a no brainer to me. You get the lifetime subscription for about what you would pay for 39 months.

Also, I am finding that the more I listen to the stations I like, I am finding out they have a short play list. Right now my favorite station is Classic Vinyl (14) and I am hearing the same songs frequently.

Yea, I am so sick of Elton John, but Deeptracks and the Loft are very good IMO...someone also mentioned they hated Watercolors, I am not a smooth jazz kind of person either but there are some real good songs here if you are in the mood

scott023
02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
I just did my part and signed back up for 5 months at 19.99. Like clockwork, each time my subscription ends, I let it lapse. They call once more and I again opt not to renew. Then 2 weeks goes by, and they always call with the 5 month for 19.99 deal.

Funny how that works... same thing happens to me, every five months. I've got buddies that are paying $35/month, so I think we're laughing for that price. I think this is the way to go... not losing out on the lifetime deal, as there seems to be less risk of losing out involved. :)

ski_king
02-17-2009, 10:47 AM
So you are telling me to let it lapse and they will offer the $19.99/5 month package ($4.00/month).

Also, do they cut off the service on the day the contract ends or do they keep it going a while?

VOLFAN
02-17-2009, 10:52 AM
I rarely listen to the music on there. I listen to channel 152 Monsters in the Morning and then Lex and Terry. in the evening I listen to the schnitt show. Thursday through Sunday I listen to chanel 146 PGA tour network. That as the whole reason I got the thing was for the golf channel. My wife listen to some of the music channels. You can always find something on there to listen to.

I have the Inno so I can take it with me on the go and I can also record songs on it as well so if I hear a song I like I just hit record and it records the whole thing even if I am in the middle of the song.

djhuff
02-17-2009, 11:14 AM
I hope it doesn't go away, we have horrible ota radio here, and i mean HORRIBLE.

bigmac
02-17-2009, 12:06 PM
I've been an XM subscriber for years. I like it and will continue to subscribe, but I'm going to do so on a yearly basis. No lifetime subscription gamble for me.

TMCNo1
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
News Flash!

Liberty Media to invest in Sirius XM Radio.
NEW YORK Liberty Media Corp. will invest $530 million in financially struggling satellite radio company Sirius XM Radio Inc., the companies said Tuesday.
The investment on the first business day comes after Sirius warned it could file for bankruptcy as early as Tuesday if it cannot successfully negotiate with its debt holders.
As part of the deal, Liberty will provide a $280 million senior secured loan to Sirius, $250 million of which will be funded on Tuesday. Sirius will use the proceeds of the loan to repay $171.6 million of its maturing 2-and-a-half percent convertible notes that had been due Tuesday. The rest will be used for general corporate purposes.
The loan bears a 15 percent interest rate and matures in December 2012.
The second phase of Liberty's investment provides another loan of $150 million to Sirius's subsidiary XM Satellite Radio. Liberty has also agreed to offer to buy up to $100 million of the loans outstanding under XM Satellite Radio's existing credit facilities from the lenders.
In exchange, Liberty will get 12.5 million shares of preferred stock convertible into 40 percent of Sirius's common shares, and two seats on the company's board. The company said it expects Liberty Chairman John Malone and President and Chief Executive Greg Maffei to join the board of Sirius.
Shares of New York-based Sirius nearly doubled their value in premarket trading, jumping 9 cents to about 20 cents.

brianpt
02-18-2009, 12:59 AM
wow i guess its safe to get a lifetime membership now that should fix their problems now

bucky
02-20-2009, 09:03 AM
wow i guess its safe to get a lifetime membership now that should fix their problems now

Not quite yet. That covered their immediate problems, but there is still six or seven hundred million in debt coming due later this year. I hope liberty media knows what they're doing, but they may just be getting dibs on the company's assets in the event of a later bankruptcy.

JimN
02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Not quite yet. That covered their immediate problems, but there is still six or seven hundred million in debt coming due later this year. I hope liberty media knows what they're doing, but they may just be getting dibs on the company's assets in the event of a later bankruptcy.

They got preferred shares and two seats on the board of directors, too.

captain planet
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
2000 shares I bought at $1.41), Just think, Sirius XM stock rose .03 today from .07 to.10

Hope it gets back to 1.41 for you, and yes they paid to much for Howard $550M for 5 yrs.
New Subscriber base has declined over the past 2 years due to New vehicle sales declining and people tightening there pocket books and something callled buyers remorse, ie Chain stores, inter-net sales. Up until my Feb 1st, the company I work for was the US main supply chain for Sirius

When Sirius gave Stern his contract they had 600,000 subscribers. At the time of the merger, Sirius had about 8.5 million subscribers. They announced in October of 2004 Stern was coming in January of 2006. From that time until the companies merged, Howard helped add approximately 7.9 million subscribers. 7.9 milliion subscribers x 12.43 per month = 98.2 million per month. Without Stern, you would only have XM right now. As it turned out, Sirius was the dominant company when the two merged.

As for lifetime subscriptions there is a catch. You can only transfer the subscription 3 times. So if you have a sirius unit and it fails and you have to transfer the subscription to an new unit, that counts as one transfer. Same for a car. You sell the car you can transfer the subscription to 2 more cars then you would have to repurchase another subscription.

JimN
02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
You can't seriously think that Stern is the only reason Sirius added that many subscribers. How many cars come with Sirius and XM? Quite a few and if the auto company doesn't want to use one, they'll use the other. If XM had brought Stern over and raised their rates, I would have dropped it instantly and I'm not alone in my feelings about him. Sure, they do some funny stuff on his show but it would be like buying cases of M&Ms at an inflated price because you like the red ones.

captain planet
02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
No, I don't think he was responsible for all 7.9 million. I give him credit for about 5 million subscribers that got Sirius JUST for him. There was a lot of attention in the media when he signed so that also helped boost subscriber base.

FWIW, I got Sirius a whole year before he went on 1-9-06 and I can't imagine listening to testicular radio ever again. I have 3 radios, a docking station in both cars, the boat, and one in the house. I love it, I can't imagine not having it.

JimN
02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
XM sounds better.

There! I said it! :D

Siriusly (get it?), I have DirecTV and it originally had only XM channels but when they dropped some to provide some of the ones from Sirius, I notice a huge difference in sound quality.

bucky
02-26-2009, 05:53 AM
If it makes any of y'all feel better, Stern was paid in shares of stock. Hope he sold early.

brucemac
02-26-2009, 04:57 PM
lol, yeah no joke. i bought that stock, and thought i got a sweetheart deal. didn't buy a hole bunch, but i think i paid somehwere just over a buck. i do hope they survive. i need to re-up. they've been bugging me. i just wish they'd up their bitrate. i'm no audiophile or anything, but the audio quality just isn't there for me.

ski_king
08-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Now they want an additional $1.95 per month as a royality fee........

justinglow
08-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Now they want an additional $1.95 per month as a royality fee........

Plus they want to charge you to listen online now! That used to be included. When mine is up at the end of the year, I am going to threaten to cancel and see what kind of deal I can get. I like it but not that much.

Andyg
08-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I just cancelled my Sirius subscription for the boat and was considering cancelling it for my vehicle. When I mentioned cancelling my vehicle subscription they offered me half off a one year subscription. I decided to to take it and keep my fingers crossed that they stay around for the next yeat.

Andyg

FancySauceRules
08-12-2009, 01:23 AM
I can't live without my sirius on the boat. But if you are watching dollars and have an iPhone, using the Pandora app gets you about 80% of what sirius can offer you on the boat.

Also if your boat subscription is not your main one, you have an iPhone and you have the online add on for 3 bucks a month, you can just listen through the sirius app on the iPhone.

jkski
08-12-2009, 08:18 AM
I am not a Sirius subscriber however, my truck does have XM capability and my wife is a Sirius subscriber. Since the 2 companies have become 1, when will Sirius be able to transmit to the XM units out there so that I can simply add a second unit onto my wifes account, if I ever choose to pay for the radio I currently get for free?

captain planet
08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Plus they want to charge you to listen online now! That used to be included. When mine is up at the end of the year, I am going to threaten to cancel and see what kind of deal I can get. I like it but not that much.

You only have to pay to listen online if you DON'T have a yearly subscription. If you pay for 6 months at a time, you have to pay for internet access. I have 2 yearly subscriptions and listening to them online doesn't cost me anything. I'm listening to Stern as I type this right now.

I am not a Sirius subscriber however, my truck does have XM capability and my wife is a Sirius subscriber. Since the 2 companies have become 1, when will Sirius be able to transmit to the XM units out there so that I can simply add a second unit onto my wifes account, if I ever choose to pay for the radio I currently get for free?

jkski, you will probably have to get the best of Sirius package on your XM account to listen to it. On Sirius you have to get the best of XM to be able to listen to MLB baseball. It is an extra fee, don't ask me why, that is just the way they have it set up. I hate to say it, but there isn't much on XM to listen to compared to Sirius (NFL, NHL, College Football, Howard Stern, Sirius NFL Radio). You probably would be better off to get a Sirius unit and add a second account to wifes account, it will cost you less. I have three radios on my account, the first is like $13/month, the next two are around $6.50/month. You can get a used Sirius unit with car kit on Ebay for around $50, cheaper if you shop around. I have seen many of the different Sirius radios and know which ones to avoid. You can also change out the "guts" of your satellite radio in your truck to make it Sirius, but it is a little pricey ($160+) compared to getting a stand alone unit.

ski_king
08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I managed to get a 3 month subscription last night for about $16. Just over $5 a month isn't bad, but it looks like it will go up the the regular rate when it auto renews.