PDA

View Full Version : Hull blisters

jsonova99
05-14-2005, 11:15 AM
I was underneath the Prostar yesterday hooking up the hose to the water intake and I noticed that right next to the spotter side bunk, I had a stretch of gel coat blisters, I never would have noticed them if I didn't have a new trailer because they are right where the old trailer fender was. Anyway, they are in a patch about 6 inches wide by 5 feet long. I have two questions:

1) Are they something that I should worry about or is it more of a cosmetic thing

2) If it is a bad thing, what can I expet to pay for repairs and will they actually solve the problem?

They are little 1/4 inch bumps, no cracks or signs of bursting or anything. I wish I had seen these before, but like I said, they were perfectly covered by the old trailer from every angle.

André
05-14-2005, 11:46 AM
I think this is something that should be taken care of ,it can only get worst.Do a search for blisters and osmosis and you.ll see a lot of talk about it and you'll read my story somewhere in those threads.
Long story short,i was like a 38 years old "Erk" but drove and ski the boat in the water at the guy 's lakehouse so i didn't check the bottom.When he delivered it at my place, i did noticed that the bottom wasn't as shiny as the the rest of the gel but was still great looking.
Turned out that the bottom of the boat was a case of blisters and had to be repaint by the..guy who sold it to me but "forgot " to mentionned it to me.The guy is fiberglass and gelcoat professionnal and repaint with Imron paint after a deep sanding and letting the hull to dry for sdometime.No blisters back 4 years later and he also told me that Imron paint when well apply is more waterproof then gel.
He did a great job repainting that hull and i think that it cost a couples of k to do that job...
But he's still an arshole!!!

jsonova99
05-14-2005, 12:34 PM
not the answer I was looking for

PE4ME
05-14-2005, 01:49 PM
depending on depth of blister- you can wet sand- block or DA (dual action sander)
start with appropriate grit- in bad areas I went below 100 grit. (when adding marine body mud)
When all blister affected area is removed- mix mud and put on enough to sand down to original depth/contour of hull.
then sand with 360 grit smooth- to match surfaces, clean with acetone and spray gel/paint. with gel sand "orange peel' with 500 then 800 then 1000/1200 and buff to like new...
Spectrum has all gel for MC- 70$ish for a quart.
I am NOT a body man and I did it with professional results.
I believe there is detailed description on aquaskier.com
if you only have a minimal material removal you may be able to sand with 360 through blister...if it looks good (not too deep) you can then go with 500-800-1200 to finish with a polish...
matching was what every "pro" said was going to be tough; however, I found that by sanding the entire area you get remove the "dead' or faded area to match new gel.
PM me, I can send you in the right direction- I was quoted in access of 1000$ for my scratches...the knowledge/tools acquired were well worth it.

rodltg2
05-14-2005, 04:24 PM
i have never had blisters on my previous boats. is this something to be concerned with on mc. if so , can it be avoided with proper care and maintenence?

jsonova99
05-15-2005, 05:33 PM
I've never heard of a specific brand having this problem so often, that's for sure. I know people who have had fiberglass boats and left them in the water without problems (no bottom paint).

School Skier
05-15-2005, 06:57 PM
The correct term is booting! Yes, it is caused from having you're boat in the water all the time. Getting it on a lift is a good idea or on the trailer when not being used.
I had it with my first boat, not an MC. I think at some point the gelcoat weakens and water is let in.

JEREMY79
05-16-2005, 12:32 AM
What is the ideal limit for leaving your boat in the water. We have a Dale Hollow houseboat trip in July and mine will be in for a week. I'm kinda worried about it.

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm still trying to understand the severity of this though. I mean is the bottom of my hull going to fall off at top speed or is this just a progressive cosmetic thing that may eventually lead to gel coat peeling. I understand that I should fix it, but it's not in the budget right now. None of the bumps I found look like they are ready to burst or anything, I'm wondering if I'm good to go for atleast another year or two as long as nothing seems to get worse. I figure that I only get my boat out twice a month at most, and the rest of the time it's all opened up in the garage to air out. I appreciate the do-it yourself help, and I would love to tackle it, but from what I've read, they blast them off with a sodium bicarbonate mixture and then go from there. I'm just afraid that I may not have the tools or ability to do it. I'm all over mechanical problems, but fiberglass repair scares the hell out of. I have good reason though, based on the repair I did to the base of the bow where there was a rub that went into the fiber. Looks like s#*t! It's functional though. I'll get it redone at some point. Any more thoughts on the blisters?

jimmer2880
05-16-2005, 08:56 AM
My family owned an old I/O many many years ago. It had blisters for approx 5-7 years. They kept getting worse, but nothing bad ever happened because of it.

I would not recommend waiting that long to fix it though, as the blisters are a sign of water impregnating the fiberglass/gelcoat.

jimmer2880
05-16-2005, 08:57 AM
What is the ideal limit for leaving your boat in the water. We have a Dale Hollow houseboat trip in July and mine will be in for a week. I'm kinda worried about it.

Don't worry - it takes years of abuse (leaving boat in 24x7 for 3 months straight) to get your gel to bubble.

jimmer2880
05-16-2005, 09:00 AM
I've never heard of a specific brand having this problem so often, that's for sure. I know people who have had fiberglass boats and left them in the water without problems (no bottom paint).

Like I said on the last "bubble" thread. It's not a brand thing, rather a gelcoat thing. I've seen it on most brands. Gelcoat is not 100% impervious to water. Think water resistant rather than waterproof, but on a microscopic level with real miniscule amounts of water.

Someone else on this board posted a really good scientific reason for the blisters.... but, since I've slept sinc then, I don't have a clue who that was.

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 09:01 AM
My family owned an old I/O many many years ago. It had blisters for approx 5-7 years. They kept getting worse, but nothing bad ever happened because of it.

I would not recommend waiting that long to fix it though, as the blisters are a sign of water impregnating the fiberglass/gelcoat.

Am I better off selling and upgrading? Or will fixing it totally take care of the problem? It's obvious that the boat was left in the water I guess, so even though other areas underneath don't show this problem yet, they will, right? Is the only correct way to fix it to redo the whole underside?

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Jim or any of the other dealers on here, is this work that you have performed at your delareships at all? I'm curious how successful it was and what the ballpark figure is on price.

stevo137
05-16-2005, 10:00 AM
From my experience most dealers do not do gelcoat work.
It is specialized and good gelcoat people are hard to find.
You should be able to find someone in your area.
That work will need to be done off trailer and could be very expensive depending on how much surface area needs to be repaired.
They would probably want to do the entire hull.
Do you have any pics of the bubbles?
I have an expert near me that has done work for me and I drive by the shop on the way to the lake. (I also store my boat there for the winter)
I can print the pic and ask him if he could give me a rough ballpark figure.

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 10:58 AM
From my experience most dealers do not do gelcoat work.
It is specialized and good gelcoat people are hard to find.
You should be able to find someone in your area.
That work will need to be done off trailer and could be very expensive depending on how much surface area needs to be repaired.
They would probably want to do the entire hull.
Do you have any pics of the bubbles?
I have an expert near me that has done work for me and I drive by the shop on the way to the lake. (I also store my boat there for the winter)
I can print the pic and ask him if he could give me a rough ballpark figure.

I'll try taking one, but you can only see them if the light hits it just right, they are just perfect little bumps in a strip about 6' by 6" maybe wider if they are under the bunk, too. I'm wondering if the entire hull should be done, honestly just to be safe. I'd like to get some opinions on it and then make a decision. If it's really bad, I'd even consider trying to find a nice '91 and gutting mine for my parts. The drivetrain is probably worth as much as I could sell it for. This will have to wait for now, I don't use the boat enough to drastically accelerate the problem, so I'll wait until my truck is paid off next summer and then start worrying about it.

Leroy
05-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I wanted some background, so attached are a couple of good Googled sites on blistering. Interesting reading.

http://www.daveandangel.com/Boats/Boat_Blistering.html

http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietrich/BoatBlisters.html

INcluding a book if you really want to read up on.
http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/review%20gelcoat%20blister%20book.htm

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Leroy, I had read one of them, but the second one was very informative from actual people. My blisters are hard which apparently means that it is only cosmetic. That puts me at ease a little more to hold off until next summer to do anything about them.

east tx skier
05-16-2005, 01:35 PM
If you want to drag it to Texas, I can refer to you two excellent gel coat people.

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 02:30 PM
If you want to drag it to Texas, I can refer to you two excellent gel coat people.

I may take you up on that, if I'm going to get it done, I'm not going to half a$$ it. I was looking them again at lunch, really weird. It's in a patch very similar to the size and shape of a trailer bunk, I wonder if that was where the old trailer bunk rested against the boat, maybe the wet carpet on it accelerated the blisters in that one spot. The rest of the underside is clear and still very shiny, although up towards the bow, there are no blisters, but the gel coat underneath looks kind of oxidized.

east tx skier
05-16-2005, 03:21 PM
The person we've started taking our boats to has done some great work and had it back to us in a matter of days. The other is who has, for some time, done work for many of the tournament boat dealers in the area. He is expensive and doesn't take credit cards.

The guy we use has his own shop, is very professional, and takes a great deal of pride in his work. I would recommend him very highly.

skimax
05-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Blisters on your "vessel" ...........sounds painful :eek: