PDA

View Full Version : Engine Alarm 2005 MC PS197 MCX 300hrs

macattack
02-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Today, while "pulling up" a skier during our 2d set, the engine suddenly reduced RPMS and the audible engine alarm came on.:( A quick scan of the engine gauges appeared normal in idle...eng temp 160 degrees, oil pressure 40 PSI, battery voltage ~14 volts, and 3/4 tank of gas. The multifunction gauge said "check engine"; not sure if it was going to show anything else since I was in hurry to turn off the engine.

I visually checked the engine oil, transmission fluid, which were fine, and felt the engine block which was warm, not hot (water around 65 degrees). Started it back up and pulled another set w/o any problems. Did notice the oil pressure gauge read about 65-70 PSI at 34mph. Couldn't remember if that was a normal reading or not; still read 40 PSI at idle.

According to the owners manual, the multifunction gauge will display messages for low battery voltage and oil pressure, high engine temperature and transmission...VOLT, OIL, TEMP, TRAN. Couldn't find anything that discussed what "check engine" meant.

Since the last time out, the only mx I had performed was the installation of a raw water strainer. The time before that I changed the oil and oil filter. Not sure any of those items
are relevant.

tks, for any thoughts...mac

sand2snow22
02-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Could be a low voltage alarm, but the reduced RPM's is a concern. Make sure your Drive by wire plug is firmly attached. It's a big plug near the flame arrestor. We have a V-drive and ours gets wiggled loose walking on the sunpad, causing check engine alarm.

snork
02-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Maybe internal clock squawking @ 200 hrs and 300 hrs. Manufacture want you to bring it in for a checkup

JimN
02-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Make sure the raw water path is clear and the impeller is good. RPM reduction is caused by only a couple of things and overheating is one of them.

TX.X-30 fan
02-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Check the trans cooler while your at it for a clog.

André
02-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Dumb ? but is it possible that your newly installed raw water filter could be installed backward reducing the water flow to the engine?:confused:

scramison
02-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Dumb ? but is it possible that your newly installed raw water filter could be installed backward reducing the water flow to the engine?:confused:

doesn't sound dumb. He probably has some water flow issues

The temp guage only tells you radiator temp on a car but since we have no radiator what exactly is this guage measuring?

Wahoo post 100!

macattack
02-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Appreciate everyone's thoughts thus far...
- An internal 100hr mx clock would be new to me; the engine actually has 307 hrs and I don't remember having any alarms at 200 hrs
- The DBW plug seems fine
- Battery voltage is 12.75 engine off and 14 volts engine running
- Water impellor is good
- Found a little bit of debris in the transmission cooler
- The installation of the raw water filter appears correct...arrow on filter pointing in the direction of water flow to the engine (pic attached to make sure)

I'm pretty sure it was not a overheat condition; as soon as the alarm went off, I checked the engine temp gauge first which showed 160 degrees.

Any thoughts on the oil pressure reading 65-70 PSI @3600 RPM. Is this normal? Would high oil pressure activate the alarm?

Keep the suggestions coming...tks, mac

scramison
02-15-2009, 08:30 PM
I think that voltage is a little low...when the engine is off. Sounds like your alternator is working well but your battery is struggling. Your battery should be above 13v per this post
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=508311&postcount=2

Also per a bike forum I visit regularly it should be above 13 volts:
http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41656&highlight=battery+voltage

There really isn't much on this forum about correct battery voltage but take it into any battery distributor and they can test it with a load which will be a more accurate test.

Edit: Now Im not so sure does anyone know what the correct battery voltage is?

In this post the guy's voltage reads the same as yours:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12760&highlight=battery+voltage

scramison
02-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Bump

No one wants to take a stab at this?

Sodar
02-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Taking a stab is really just taking a guess and the having a confirmation when the ECU gets hooked up to the computer at the dealer.

My stab at it... get the boat to the dealer, have the tech spend 3 minutes hooking his laptop up and see if the ECU through any codes. If it did, then you know what happened, if not, then you know it is a false alarm and that you need to start tracking down an electrical gremlin.

I had an annoying alarm that had me ready to throw the boat to the lowest bidder, last year... cooler heads prevailed and the dealer and I found that it was a connector in the wiring harness that had not been connected correctly. Over time, the harness jiggling around eventually made the connection loose and made the alarm go. All of this was discovered after about 30 minutes of time spent in the parking lot of my local dealer.

sand2snow22
02-17-2009, 05:25 PM
ECU through any codes.

Rod, is that you? ;)

Sodar
02-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Rod, is that you? ;)

Damn.... you found my alter ego. At least I am not feeling fisty today! :rolleyes:

JimN
02-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Fisty, or feisty? There's a difference, for most people.

JimN
02-17-2009, 06:28 PM
The 160 degree reading doesn't mean that much if the raw water supply was decreased. I would have felt the exhaust manifold risers to see if they were extremely hot. If they were, the ECT wasn't immersed in water and it was overheating.

Look at the exhaust flaps- if they're blistered, it got really hot and the exhaust wasn't being cooled by water. If they aren't, it may still have overheated but shut down quickly.

12.75VDC is a bit low. 2.2V/cell should show at least 13.2V at rest. If you idled for a long time with the stereo on, it could explain the low reading. Before starting it again, measure the voltage with a multi-meter. Also, make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. This can cause a warning buzzer. Go to the rear of the block and make sure all of the ground wires are seated well, the nut is tight and everything is clean, too.

Matthewt
02-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Had a very similar problem on my new 2008 X-45. Was getting the exact same error message and same symptoms. Ended up having to replace the throttle body. No problems since. Hope that helps.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-18-2009, 01:01 AM
make sure that the raw-water strainer has the rubber seal in it. also, make sure that the see-through cover is not cross-threaded and snugged down tightloy. if any of these conditions exist the strainer will draw air and you will not get good water-flow through the engine,

bxroads
02-18-2009, 07:05 AM
I agree with Sodar, take advantage of the technology you paid for (which ironically is probably what's causing the problem)..........

JimN
02-18-2009, 07:07 AM
So basically, since nobody knows exactly what code was stored, rather than continue guessing, it really needs to be scanned. Continuing to run it after it went into RPM reduction risks permanent, catastrophic failure.

macattack
02-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I give! I was really trying to avoid the 100+ mile trip, but made an appt for this Sat.

Here's some of the feedback from MC dealer thus far when I asked which malfunction(s) would automatically cause the RPM reduction..."Any one of them. They all cause the engine to go into safety mode ( rpm reduction ) if they are out of parameter for only a few seconds. The impeller could of passed some trash causing the engine to think it may overheat, the oil pressure gauge could of not registered and caused it. Any thing could be possible. If you started the boat back up and the alarm went off then you are good. It is when the alarm stays on that you have a problem. It could also be an oil pressure sensor going bad telling the ecm that the engine does not have enough oil pressure. We would not know until it is plugged in to the computer."

Will let you know the cause when I get back...tks for all the troubleshooting thoughts, mac

macattack
02-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I visited my MC dealer today…I would have never guessed this one, but MATTEWT & SAND2SNOW22 were in the right area! The diagnostic test showed a “throttle actuation control” malfunction. Apparently there are two sensors behind the throttle that “talk” to the throttle body. As you advance/retard the throttle, the throttle plate “electronically” opens/closes in sync with the speed you are pushing/pulling back on the throttle. Also, could be the DBW plug going into the throttle body; they had problems w/the plugs not connecting tight enough.

Bottom line, this malfunction could be an isolated incident or a precursor to the throttle body failing…no way of telling at this point. So, press on until it happens again…or hopefully, not!

tks again for all the insight, mac

sand2snow22
02-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Yep, I've ripped apart the side dash and made sure the plug behind the throttle was secure and did not rattle loose. Ours was tight. But both plugs can come loose boating, trailering, etc...Hopefully yours is the plug by the engine. Make sure it is tight. If the problem persists, check behind the throttle.

We had various check engine alarms over the past summer. At the end of the summer the dealer scanned and said when you walk on the sunpad, it wiggles the plug loose and causes a bad connection.

I hope ours isn't the throttle body. Good luck.....Keep us posted......

mcmx2
10-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the DBW plug that goes into the throttle body. I have a 2005 197 TT and am getting the check engine alarm and reduced rpm. It only happens when I am idleing and will reset if I shut the boat off and restart. Once I accelerate I am good to go until I slow back down to an idle. I am not sure what all will cause this but have good oil pressure, the operating temperature is 160, and nothing feels or smells overheated. The engine is the 6.0 LQ9. I am several hours from a dealer and would like to try to troubleshoot this if at all possible without dragging it in.

Mac, did your problem ever come back and if so what was it?

Thanks

Rhen

macattack
11-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Hey Rhen, I only had this issue once this summer; I was pulling up a skier and the engine went into the "limp" mode/alarm came on. I turned the engine off, restarted and it has been fine since. This is the third time over the last two summers, each time pulling up a skier. I now have 500hrs on the engine. Here's a pic of the throttle body electrical plug. You can try disconnecting/reconnecting it; also, there is another connection behind the actual throttle handle/plate, but I never took all that apart. If you need a pic of something else, the boat is in my garage, just let me know...mac

mcmx2
11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks Mac,

I took the boat into an Indmar shop as I am a couple of hours from a MC dealer and was told it is code 81 (Throttle Position Sensor Fault). They cleared the code and it seems to be running fine. I called a MC dealer and they want over $400 for the sensor as it comes complete with the throttle and they can not get the sensor seperately. They say it is usually the sensor behind the actual throttle but they can not tell by the code for sure it could be the one on the throttle body also. I will see if the alarm comes back and if it does I guess I will be changing out the throttle.

Rhen

Jim@BAWS
11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the DBW plug that goes into the throttle body. I have a 2005 197 TT and am getting the check engine alarm and reduced rpm. It only happens when I am idleing and will reset if I shut the boat off and restart. Once I accelerate I am good to go until I slow back down to an idle. I am not sure what all will cause this but have good oil pressure, the operating temperature is 160, and nothing feels or smells overheated. The engine is the 6.0 LQ9. I am several hours from a dealer and would like to try to troubleshoot this if at all possible without dragging it in.

Mac, did your problem ever come back and if so what was it?

Thanks

Rhen

I have an 03 with an LQ9 and get the same thing until it is warmed up. Possible low coolant level...I honestly dont know. It only happens during the first warm up period and does not happen for the rest of the day. Maybe a cooling sensor...I dont know

And this coming from a dealer!!!

Jim@BAWS

macattack
11-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Big bummer you can not buy the throttle sensor separately :(

Jim: Can the throttle plate sensor be cleaned?

sand2snow22: Do you have any pics of your throttle sensor when you took it apart?

For $400, I'll be turning the engine off and on to reset that sensor for a long time to come! Of course, Rhen, if this happens everytime you to go to idle, that's going to be a giant pain!