PDA

View Full Version : Ice and gel coats

woody
02-14-2009, 06:59 PM
I tried a search on ice and frozen and didn't come up with anything.

So what do you guys think about the ice breaking potential of mastercrafts?

Water temp 40F, air temp 45F and about a quarter inch of ice on the water. It would appear that just knocking in and out of gear we can get through the half inch ice without any damage what so ever, and then once a decent sized path is cleared a bit more speed and a decent wake the ice moves out the way. Got closed loop cooling and nowt appears amiss with the boat, including the prop. Boat isn't kept in the water so nasty things happening to boats left in ice I don't need to worry about.

Is there anything that I haven't thought about that makes this a real stupid thing to do?

There was a camera there but not mine so no photos as yet..

TX.X-30 fan
02-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I think you should use a 300 for this.

woody
02-14-2009, 07:21 PM
300?

First call was the 12foot tender but some 'orrible git stole the outboard a month ago....and given the first clear day with no wind at a weekend in england we've seen for a month we talked ourselves into it.

Hammer
02-14-2009, 07:25 PM
I'd be concerned about the ice scratching the gel. I would not do it.

woody
02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
That was my concern too, checked it out and its fine but the whole noise of cracking ice freaked me out so it sure isn't going to be a regular activity......... this was the first time we've needed to in the past seven / eight years

H20skeefreek
02-14-2009, 09:34 PM
I know a guy that built an "ice pusher" with plywood and 2x4's similar to a cow pusher from an old locomotive for his '86 barefoot nauti so that he could barefoot in Indiana in the winter.

shepherd
02-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Is there anything that I haven't thought about that makes this a real stupid thing to do?

Well, the first thing I thought was "The water is frozen - why would you want to go out there???" :confused:
You crazy Canadians... ;)

When I lived up north I waited a little too long to pull my old Formula cruiser out for the winter. I had to drive it a mile from the dock to the marina through about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick ice. If I remember correctly, it left some marks on the bow.

TMCNo1
02-15-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm sorry ya'll, but this thread has got to be one of the most entertaining in months!

Next will be a thread asking if it's OK to screw a Frosty the Snowman in the front yard!

ski_king
02-15-2009, 09:49 AM
This thread reminds me of these 2 yourtube videos from a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YdH-l1J3VM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSMFNs-YkAo

Witness140
02-15-2009, 11:32 AM
If someone handed you a 2x2 piece of jagged 1/4" thick ice.....and told you to go ram it into the front of your boat while it was sitting on the trailer - or drag it down the side of your car - would that be ok? If yes, then proceed!

JimN
02-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I worked with someone who skied on a river in winter and they drove the front wheel of an SUV onto the ide at the ramp to break it off. Once that floated away, they had a clear path to open water, where they did donuts to create enough wave motion to break away all of the ice along the shore. That way, they didn't have to worry about hitting it with the boats or skiers, especially the 'footers. I wouldn't recommend hitting or pushing ice with a boat like this- it's not made for it.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Woody, why not just hang out the front of the boat with an ice chisel, or even a section of water pipe rather than deal with the potential for damage. On the Mississippi river we have boat launches equipped with tractors and 25' long tongue extensions to launch over the ice built up along the shore. Sorry no pictures - don't even want to get that close to the circus.

woody
02-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Cheers for the tips.... hopefully we won't have another freeze here on a weekend so we won't talk yourselves into doing it again, even though we were real gentle. Checked the boat again today before dropping it in the water, no scratches at all, and today the ice had all melted....it's too warm here in southern Britain to stay frozen too long...

why did we do it - when you gotta ride you just gotta ride.

TMCNo1
02-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Cheers for the tips.... hopefully we won't have another freeze here on a weekend so we won't talk yourselves into doing it again, even though we were real gentle. Checked the boat again today before dropping it in the water, no scratches at all, and today the ice had all melted....it's too warm here in southern Britain to stay frozen too long...

why did we do it - when you gotta ride you just gotta ride.

Wow, now I feel so much better!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_74.gif

SunCoast 83
02-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I cant wait to see how this plays out!...watching from ice-free Orlando.

The youtube links were hilarious

jacobe
02-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Reminds me of another video I've seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91h09nG88xA

jraben8
02-18-2009, 12:35 AM
We've used an airboat to break up ice duck hunting... (with a 3/8ths inch slab of coated plastic on the bottom)

Come to think of it, no, I can't remember every using my MC for that...

thatsmrmastercraft
02-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Reminds me of another video I've seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91h09nG88xA

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

SunCoast 83
02-18-2009, 09:54 AM
just stupid

Sodar
02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
just stupid