PDA

View Full Version : Passive Crossover Help

BriEOD
02-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Ok, need a little help...

At the end of the season I noticed one of my tower speakers (Boss B-60 cans with MB Quart mids/highs and RXC-213 passive crossover) wasn't working. I took the can apart and noticed the terminals on the crossover were severely corroded. In fact, after soaking in Corrosion-x and attempting to clean them up as best I could, I couldn't even unscrew one of the terminals after a lot of different tries.

Subsequently, I looked on line, etc and cannot find the RXC-213. I purchased another model crossover, but it ended up being to big for the can. The RXC-213 is about 5"x3". Anyone need some nicely used MB Quart passive crossovers? :mad:

So, I thought well, maybe I can just solder the lead to the bad terminal and go from there. Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I'm dead in the water.

I don't want new speakers, or cans, etc. I need a crossover that will fit inside my current can that is compatible with the speakers I have.

Any thoughts?

JimN
02-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Ok, need a little help...

At the end of the season I noticed one of my tower speakers (Boss B-60 cans with MB Quart mids/highs and RXC-213 passive crossover) wasn't working. I took the can apart and noticed the terminals on the crossover were severely corroded. In fact, after soaking in Corrosion-x and attempting to clean them up as best I could, I couldn't even unscrew one of the terminals after a lot of different tries.

Subsequently, I looked on line, etc and cannot find the RXC-213. I purchased another model crossover, but it ended up being to big for the can. The RXC-213 is about 5"x3". Anyone need some nicely used MB Quart passive crossovers? :mad:

So, I thought well, maybe I can just solder the lead to the bad terminal and go from there. Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I'm dead in the water.

I don't want new speakers, or cans, etc. I need a crossover that will fit inside my current can that is compatible with the speakers I have.

Any thoughts?

Is the corrosion green? Can you open the crossover housing? If you can open it, the screw terminals can be seen as just a formality. If you can open it, solder your input wires directly to the input trace of the crossover board.

Post a photo or two, if you can.

BriEOD
02-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Is the corrosion green? Can you open the crossover housing? If you can open it, the screw terminals can be seen as just a formality. If you can open it, solder your input wires directly to the input trace of the crossover board.

Post a photo or two, if you can.

Been there done that. It's toast Jim.

JimN
02-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Have you tested each driver yet? Do that to make sure they're OK. You want to send the crossovers to me so I can get them working?

BriEOD
02-15-2009, 08:53 AM
No, I have not. Let me try that.

BriEOD
02-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Ok oh wise one...

I transferred the drivers from the bad crossover can to the good one and all is good with them.

TX.X-30 fan
02-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Would you 2 like some privacy?? :D

BriEOD
02-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Alright, apparently my 4 year old blows magic pixy dust or something. I swapped the drivers from the good can to the bad one (w/soldered crossover). My son blew on it for good luck and voila!

Thx for the tip Jim.

Anyone have any good deals on black cans with decent speakers? I'd like a second set. The Drop Kick Murphy's aren't quite loud enough...;)

TX.X-30 fan
02-15-2009, 04:56 PM
How about 4 stock cans from 04 w/6.5 JL coax speakers.

BriEOD
02-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Sure, I'll take em.

BriEOD
02-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Would you 2 like some privacy?? :D

Yeah, I hear ya.:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
02-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Sure, I'll take em.

I think I may have misled you. :D

JimN
02-15-2009, 06:00 PM
We all saw you offer them and you never said anything about price, so.....

TX.X-30 fan
02-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Why are three black suburbans in front of my house??

JimN
02-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Why are three black suburbans in front of my house??

Nice knowin' ya.

BriEOD
02-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Trust me, if I come it will be very quiet--surgical strike.;)

TX.X-30 fan
02-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Trust me, if I come it will be very quiet--surgical strike.;)

I can sleep well now thanks. :D