PDA

View Full Version : '08-'09 X2 Tower Up Bridge Clearance

MattsCraft
02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
I have a í09 X2, searched TT, everything is about clearance with the tower folded. My boat is shrink wrapped and put up for the winter. I want to purchase a new Canopy style garage that will accommodate the boat with the tower up!

Does anyone here know the Bridge clearance for an X2 with tandem trailer? I called Mastercraft, they donít have this spec which is surprising??? I have a few side view pictures, best I can calculate is 9í however this seems off.

Thanks in advance for any insight!:)

ttu
02-13-2009, 10:40 AM
i have a 07 with the same tower. i keep it in storage up at the lake and my storage door is 10 foot and it clears if that helps.

but not by much

wakeX2wake
02-13-2009, 11:35 AM
11-12 ft and you should be good to go

Willytown
02-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Matt,
On an 08 X2, I was about 2 inches short of being able to back into a 10' garage door.

MattsCraft
02-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks, this is the Canopy I am looking at, looks like it might work. Don't want to spend $1000 and come up 2" short, story of my life, lol.:rolleyes:

The biggest problem with these is wind, the one I have now 8' held up in the last storm 30 MPH gust, but with the extra height, don't know??? We took it down when we had the 80 MPH strom last year!:firejump:

http://www.canopycenter.com/carports/for-boats/shelterlogic24x12suvboatcanopycarport.cfm

Also, considering looking at local storage places, any insight in and around Cincinnati?

JMann
02-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm also looking for a canopy. If anyone can recommend another place to buy one on the web or in Northern Cal I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

MattsCraft
02-13-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm also looking for a canopy. If anyone can recommend another place to buy one on the web or in Northern Cal I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

JMann - I have completed a lot of research into these, this place has the best prices I have found, Overtons has some too. I have a King Canopy now, works great, good quality, just to short for a Tower Up application.

1boarder
02-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't have a MC trailer, but it is a tandem and my 08 x2 sits 10 ft 2 inches. It is however a dual axle trailer and it "apeared" to be lower than a x2 on a MC single axle trailer at the dealer.

bbymgr
02-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks, this is the Canopy I am looking at, looks like it might work. Don't want to spend $1000 and come up 2" short, story of my life, lol.:rolleyes:

The biggest problem with these is wind, the one I have now 8' held up in the last storm 30 MPH gust, but with the extra height, don't know??? We took it down when we had the 80 MPH strom last year!:firejump:

http://www.canopycenter.com/carports/for-boats/shelterlogic24x12suvboatcanopycarport.cfm

Also, considering looking at local storage places, any insight in and around Cincinnati?

Word of warning!!!! This is the same shelter I have for my 2007 X1. The problem that you will have is the width. If you notice, the sides of the door opening angle in as they go up. My X1 won't go in with the tower up because of this. The tower is too wide at the top. In fact, even with the tower down, the clamps still rub the sides while going in, and remember your boat is 6" wider.

MattsCraft
02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Word of warning!!!! This is the same shelter I have for my 2007 X1. The problem that you will have is the width. If you notice, the sides of the door opening angle in as they go up. My X1 won't go in with the tower up because of this. The tower is too wide at the top. In fact, even with the tower down, the clamps still rub the sides while going in, and remember your boat is 6" wider.

Thanks bb, that was what I thought when I looked at the picture, bummer, problem for me is when you go to the 12' height, they are 28' long, 24' is a stretch as it is for my pad. I did find a company that will custom make them, but afraid of the cost.:rolleyes: I will give them a call and update...

http://www.portableshelters.com/boat_storage.htm

MattsCraft
02-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Ok, found one I think will work - 12'x20'x12' - The wall height is 9'6" and 12' at the peak. $1200, but the kicker is shipping $295 from Florida, ouch!

Comes in Silver or Green, I have the silver now, was thinking the green, but now after seeing the pics, not sure, thoughts?

bbymgr
02-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Ok, found one I think will work - 12'x20'x12' - The wall height is 9'6" and 12' at the peak. $1200, but the kicker is shipping $295 from Florida, ouch!

Comes in Silver or Green, I have the silver now, was thinking the green, but now after seeing the pics, not sure, thoughts?

Matt,

I only paid $500 for mine at Menards. I'm not sure where you are located in Cincy, but there is a Menards in Dayton, Chillicothe and one in Richmond,IN. They have some in the store, but had to order mine. You could just call the store and order it and then go pick it up. Could save you $700.

wpstevenson
02-14-2009, 10:06 AM
My 2008 x2 was 10' 3" tall on a MC tandem trailer.

MattsCraft
02-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Matt,

I only paid $500 for mine at Menards. I'm not sure where you are located in Cincy, but there is a Menards in Dayton, Chillicothe and one in Richmond,IN. They have some in the store, but had to order mine. You could just call the store and order it and then go pick it up. Could save you $700.

bb - Thanks, I will check into it, Dayto is a hop and skip for me!!!:)

My 2008 x2 was 10' 3" tall on a MC tandem trailer.

wp - Thanks, sounds about right, I pulled the boat out last night, put the tower up and measured and came up with this:

Tower is about 7' wide on an 8' beem - 9' 8" ground to Tower, plus the Anchor Light 10' 1" I didn't use a level across the top, so this is approx but pretty close.

MattsCraft
02-14-2009, 10:15 AM
wp - Bad A^* looking X2!:cool:

wpstevenson
02-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks, only used it a few months before it sold. Here is a pic of my 09.

scramison
02-15-2009, 02:58 AM
I need a solution as well for my 05 X2.

I really like this one: http://www.canopycenter.com/carports/for-boats/24foothiboyheavydutytruckandboatroundtopgarage.cfm

However it seems the sides might be too tight per previous comments?

scramison
02-15-2009, 03:05 AM
Matt,

Thats a steal! Do you have any pictures?

MattsCraft
02-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Thats a steal! Do you have any pictures?

I called Menards, the size I need (12'x20'x12') is not stocked, they will order ($600 approx). I don't have a pic, however it is a Round Top Like the one from "Canopy Center", not the Barn style pictured here. Just a word of caution, the Menards one uses 1 5/8" poles, the one pictured above uses 2 3/8" poles. My 10'x20'x8' Canopy has the 1 5/8" poles and is a little rickety, however it does not have lateral supports. For the price difference and if anchored correctly I think the 1 5/8" will be OK in my area. My exiting one held up fine in the last storm we had with 30 mph wind gust.

This one just sits on my gravel pad and uses augers and ropes to hold it down. My next one, I am going to put in about 6 concrete pilings/footers with the cable attached augers sunk into them and then lash to the lateral supports. Again, the one I have works fine, keeps the boat dry and you don't have to cover it, I do just for added security/deterrence from thieves. I am just tired of taking off the bimini and collapsing the tower every outing a couple times a week!

JMann
02-15-2009, 03:03 PM
JMann - I have completed a lot of research into these, this place has the best prices I have found, Overtons has some too. I have a King Canopy now, works great, good quality, just to short for a Tower Up application.

Thanks. I'm losing my free in door storage. I have room but want to put a cover in. I thought I saw one for $110 but now I think that is just a replacement skin and I need the $400 frame.
That's more than i wanted to spend but you got to do what you got to do.

bbymgr
02-15-2009, 11:26 PM
I called Menards, the size I need (12'x20'x12') is not stocked, they will order ($600 approx). I don't have a pic, however it is a Round Top Like the one from "Canopy Center", not the Barn style pictured here. Just a word of caution, the Menards one uses 1 5/8" poles, the one pictured above uses 2 3/8" poles. My 10'x20'x8' Canopy has the 1 5/8" poles and is a little rickety, however it does not have lateral supports. For the price difference and if anchored correctly I think the 1 5/8" will be OK in my area. My exiting one held up fine in the last storm we had with 30 mph wind gust.

This one just sits on my gravel pad and uses augers and ropes to hold it down. My next one, I am going to put in about 6 concrete pilings/footers with the cable attached augers sunk into them and then lash to the lateral supports. Again, the one I have works fine, keeps the boat dry and you don't have to cover it, I do just for added security/deterrence from thieves. I am just tired of taking off the bimini and collapsing the tower every outing a couple times a week!

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a difference in the pole diameter or I would have told you. However, I can tell you that mine has held up perfectly this winter. I live 4 miles from the Michigan state line and this has been a hard winter. I love the round top as it lets the snow slide down the sides instead of collecting on the roof. Mine does have 3 rows of horizontal braces at the bottom, half way up, and the peak going from end to end. We had wind gusts last week over 50 mph and it didn't budge. I can take some pics tomorrow of it. Anything specific you would like to see?

bbymgr
02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
OK.....I took some pics and got exact measurements and cost of my shelter. I have the 12'x10'x24' shelter you put in your original post. I also found a dimension picture on an install sheet I had showing the actual door opening size. I know you are looking at a 12' high one now, but this will give you some reference. Notice the 12' wide shelter is only 6' wide at the top of the door opening. Granted mine is only 10' high, but you said you needed over 7' for tower width. You might want to find a door opening dimension for the 12' high one. I also looked back on the receipt and found out I paid $399 + tax for my shelter. If you need any more pics just let me know.

MattsCraft
02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a difference in the pole diameter or I would have told you. However, I can tell you that mine has held up perfectly this winter. I live 4 miles from the Michigan state line and this has been a hard winter. I love the round top as it lets the snow slide down the sides instead of collecting on the roof. Mine does have 3 rows of horizontal braces at the bottom, half way up, and the peak going from end to end. We had wind gusts last week over 50 mph and it didn't budge. I can take some pics tomorrow of it. Anything specific you would like to see?

A picture of the door would be great, also how did you anchor it? No worries on the poles, could not figure out how Menards could be so much cheaper than any others I found on-line. You have to be careful, even some at a grand or higher have 1 5/8" poles!:rolleyes:

Many Thanks,

Matt

bbymgr
02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
A picture of the door would be great, also how did you anchor it? No worries on the poles, could not figure out how Menards could be so much cheaper than any others I found on-line. You have to be careful, even some at a grand or higher have 1 5/8" poles!:rolleyes:

Many Thanks,

Matt

I anchored it with 1/4" steel cables attached to a cement block buried 3' under ground. I did this at each of the corners and at the mid point down the sides.

CHaus21
08-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Matts,

Where did you end up finding this canopy shed? How much was it?

MattsCraft
08-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Here are the pics, This was the best price I could find. 2" upright poles, installed on deck stringer blocks (Clearance is about 3"). I will put the front door on in the winter. We have had a few stroms, the old one blows around a lot, this one does not move at all, best part, no more collapsing the tower, hook it up and go, priceless!!!:D

http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/index.cfm

Matts,

Where did you end up finding this canopy shed? How much was it?

MattsCraft
08-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Two more pics:D

stt
08-20-2009, 05:39 PM
There is a guy in Williamsburg on the way to East Fork that offers covered indoor storage, no need to take the tower down. PM me and I will get you the info.