PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit or Drysuit ??

magnum
02-12-2009, 05:13 PM
What do you all recommend when the water temps are in the 50 to 60 degree range ? Hopefully going to maybe start the season out a little early this year so just wondering what everyones preferences are . We have a hotwater heater on our x-star so just wondering if the wetsuit would work ok. Have heard filling your suit with hotwater works well

flipper
02-12-2009, 05:28 PM
you'll be fine in a wet suit.

BrianM
02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Drysuit. I wouldn't mess with a full wetsuit unless you already own one.

magnum
02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Don't own either one so just trying to figure out which one to buy, Just looking at prices , are the drysuit worth that much more, Looks like double or tripple the cost depending on which brand

coz
02-12-2009, 06:05 PM
What do you all recommend when the water temps are in the 50 to 60 degree range ? Hopefully going to maybe start the season out a little early this year so just wondering what everyones preferences are . We have a hotwater heater on our x-star so just wondering if the wetsuit would work ok. Have heard filling your suit with hotwater works well

That's our winter range and we use wetsuits, just fill up the suit with warm water before you go in then fill up and warm up when you're done. That's how we do it.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-12-2009, 06:17 PM
i have a hot shower also and it does work well for filling the wetsouit with hot water BUT a wetsuit is nowhere near as nice as the oneil boost dry suit. we ride year round in t he dry suits. three weeks ago it was 42 degree air and 46 degree water and we were sweating in our dry suits. never again, nothing but dry for me all the way.

also, after you put the wetsuit on the first time it will always be wet and cold for the next rider. th thanks, go dry and stay dry (for me, anyway).

ORX-1
02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
drysuit for sure. the wetsuit my experience is that the wetsuit keeps you a little warmer but then you are wet when you get out and the ride it the boat is real cold. with drysuit you are dry once you get out of the water.

M-Funf
02-12-2009, 06:38 PM
I like my drysuit. It's more expensive, but I can wear warm gear underneath and I still have enough mobility for skiing. I have the O'Neill Assault Hybrid. If I was to buy another, I would try the Boost.

Muttley
02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Usually when the water is below 55* I put on the drysuit. Anything above that, the wetsuit will be good.

The nice thing about the drysuit is that there's no minumum teperature... unless of course, the lake is frozen. Then there's an issue.. :(

ShamrockIV
02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
drysuit all the way. get it big so you can wear ur life vest under it. that way ur vest and clothes stay dry as a bone.

bigmac
02-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Drysuit....

magnum
02-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys, Looks like the vote is the dry suit most of the time. Any certain brands better than others, Price range , looks like $250 to $350 nylon versus neoprene

mclovin
02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
depends on what your doing, have both wet & dry. oneill boost drysuit avg.$450 oneill hammer 3/2 wetsuit avg.$150 wakeboarding,skiing,surfing i would say drysuit besides the neck choking thing. kneeboarding,wakeskating wetsuit & boots 5mm. we ride yearound, water has gotten down to 48, if you have hot water wetsuit is more comfortable & easier to move in IMO . hope this helps

vision
02-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Everyone I talk to also recommends a dry suit.

But, because I already own both, I wear a full wet suit over a shortie spring suit, and a pair of water proof socks. I rode in 46 to 47 degree water the last two month. Not that bad. However, we are only riding when the air temp is 60 or higher. I recommend pouring warm water down the wet suite to start before you hit the water.

The only part that is really cold is my head when I crash.

magnum
02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Will be using for just wakeboarding and sking

shepherd
02-13-2009, 10:08 AM

My ski bud bought a new drysuit this winter. He's a hard core shortline skier and says that water will get forced up the leg seams at times. Do any of you guys have that problem?

My full wet suit keeps me warm enough in the water down to about 55 degrees. It's when I'm out of the water between sets and the wetsuit drys out that I get cold. My friend doesn't have that problem in his dry suit, but he only uses it on the coldest days.

ORX-1
02-13-2009, 11:08 AM
I think the only time you get water in the drysuit is when you crash hard enough to force water in the neck. Even when that happend it's not enough to really feel. I have closed toe bindings so no water gets in the legs now but when I did ride with open toe boots my calfs would get a little damp but again not wet enough to tell.

MMCCAR12
02-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Wet Suit Under Dry Suit Is Real Nice.

Gonzo
02-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Dry suit rocks...

Hollywood
02-13-2009, 12:11 PM
A wetsuit is just fine for 55 and up water. You can't share a drysuit like you can a wetsuit, if someone tears a seal you're all done!

MarkP
02-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys, Looks like the vote is the dry suit most of the time. Any certain brands better than others, Price range , looks like $250 to $350 nylon versus neoprene
this is a great brand.. http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=2581&cat=9 ;)

BriEOD
02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
this is a great brand.. http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=2581&cat=9 ;)

Are you even a member on this site anymore? Go ride your mountain bike!8p

MarkP
02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Are you even a member on this site anymore? Go ride your mountain bike!8p
LOL. Me?? “valued guest” !!

M-Funf
02-13-2009, 02:21 PM
My ski bud bought a new drysuit this winter. He's a hard core shortline skier and says that water will get forced up the leg seams at times. Do any of you guys have that problem?

I have not had water get in at the neck or ankles, but have had a little get in at the wrists. I usually wear a fleece pullover under the suit to keep warm as well.

Patrick Hardy
02-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Real easy answer, cold and wet or always warm and dry. For us in the NW it is an easy choice = Dry Suit. I have bought my dry suits from Adrenaline Watersports -

www.adrenalinewatersports.com - MSRP Price: $399.99
Internet Price: $289.00 Adrenaline Pro Drysuit.

Here is some info. from the web site.

Size: Junior- 4'0 to 4'6" (Black) X-Small-4'6" to 5'1" (Black) Small- 5'0" to 5'5" Medium- 5'6" to 5'10" Large- 5'9" to 6'1" X-Large-6'0" to 6'5"
Color: All Black Royal Top/Black Bottom
Style: All sizes in stock
2009 Adrenaline Pro Drysuit

The Best Built Drysuit on the market.

New latex gasket formula- for a more comfortable fit and more UV protection.

Full urethane coated nylon shell makes this the driest suit ever. All seams are double dry taped for the ultimate in dryness and seam durability

Ultra Dry YKK brass tooth Rear Entry Zipper

Features a 3 year limited warranty against leakage.

From Junior size to X-Large, we have you covered.

Unisex Sizes.

BriEOD
02-13-2009, 03:21 PM
LOL. Me?? “valued guest” !!

You owe me a phone call....

bkblaida
02-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Question about dry socks....... My bindings are snug w/o a sock just curious how you get into the bindings and how well the socks hold up.

SOCALX45
02-18-2009, 12:17 AM
last year i bought the jetpilot zipperless full body wetsuit $275....it was the best purchase...the thing is like a dang drysuit...im in socal though the lake here is around 50 especially now with the cold weather we have been having....jetpilot has won me over...once this wears out ill be purchasing another one!

Muttley
02-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Question about dry socks....... My bindings are snug w/o a sock just curious how you get into the bindings and how well the socks hold up.

I've never had any luck with them. I own a pair, but I can't get in the slalom bindings with them. I will use them sometimes for wakeboarding, though. They tend to leak... At least that's my experience. I usually don't bother.

It's the hands that are mostly the issue anyway. It's toughest to keep the hands from hurting. ...and the brain freeze.