PDA

View Full Version : Finally cracked my water heater

vision
02-11-2009, 09:59 PM
I have been good about draining and blowing out the water in our X-star heater core after each set during the freezing months here in NC. But last time out I pulled the hoses and let the core drain, but forgot to blow out the water. Sure enough, drop the boat in the water today and fire her up to see a steady stream of hot water leaking out of the bottom of the core.

No problem, I will just turn off the valve associated with hose adapter for the heater coming off the manifold. Well, the heater is still pumping out water. There is enough pressure in the system that water is simply backing up the return line that normally carries water from the heater to the water pump.

I ended up removing the "to" hose, the one from the manifold to the heater, from the heater, and simply re-routing it back and attaching to the "return" port on water pump hosing to create a closed loop. It was all I could think to do at the moment.

I was never impressed with the warmth of the air pumped out by our heater. Are any of the after market heater cores better than the stock MC heater core?

bruce1205
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Unfortunately there isn't a heater core in the world strong enough to prevent ice from expanding! But I live in MA and I have had no problems with MC stock cores. KNOCK ON WOOD! So with that I have never tried another brand. Good Luck

beef
02-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Try replacing the return location with the heater-Y to get better flow through the core a t lower speeds. It goes into the intake line before the raw water pump. I'm sure one of the dealers on the board can help, or look here (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H424).

bigmac
02-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I have been good about draining and blowing out the water in our X-star heater core after each set during the freezing months here in NC. But last time out I pulled the hoses and let the core drain, but forgot to blow out the water. Sure enough, drop the boat in the water today and fire her up to see a steady stream of hot water leaking out of the bottom of the core.

No problem, I will just turn off the valve associated with hose adapter for the heater coming off the manifold. Well, the heater is still pumping out water. There is enough pressure in the system that water is simply backing up the return line that normally carries water from the heater to the water pump.

I ended up removing the "to" hose, the one from the manifold to the heater, from the heater, and simply re-routing it back and attaching to the "return" port on water pump hosing to create a closed loop. It was all I could think to do at the moment.

I was never impressed with the warmth of the air pumped out by our heater. Are any of the after market heater cores better than the stock MC heater core?

Huh! Shutting the valve didn't work? You connected the "to" hose to the "from" hose? Amazing!

The low heat output has to do with the way the water flows, not the nature of the heater core.

What you need is a "Y" pipe diverter. THAT will fix the heat problem.

http://www.skidim.com/images/21505.jpg

You might be able to get that heater core matched and take the old one out of the grey box from an auto parts store. Good luck with that, it's a difficult chore. IMHO, simpler (although more expensive) to just replace the old grey box and core with the new revises version. You can pick one up when you order the Y pipe. Check SkiDim http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1020 or go right to HeaterCraft. Call them and they'll send you just the new grey box.

vision
02-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys. I will give the Y adapter a try.