PDA

View Full Version : Water, water everywhere!

cmw
02-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Been working real hard to restore a 1990 maristar. Cranked the motor yesterday and it started right up. The only problem I see is water leaking from behind the impeller. I went ahead and replaced the impeller, hoping to get lucky (needed it anyways, no telling how old it was) but still leaks. Any ideas?

Jim@BAWS
02-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Well it is time...time for a NEW Raw WaterPump $168.95 + Shipping
Comes w/ a NEW impellar. Keep your old one for a spare. In stock ready to ship

There is a rebuild kit w/ a New bearing and seal. Hardly worth it. Sometimes it
works other times it does not. A new assembly is the way

Jim@BAWS

pkskier
02-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I had a leak on my '87 TriStar in the same location and I replaced the seal behind the impellar and it last about 2 trips out on the water before it started leaking also. I agree with Jim, replace the whole pump and you won't have any problems. The shaft becomes worn over time and will wipe out a new seal. After the new seal I install started leaking I ordered a new pump from dim, easy to replace.

BrianM
02-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I would do the seal first and see if that works. Cost is like $10 and a little time. I had the same leak on my '88 and a new rear seal made it good as new.

Footin
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I replaced the seal in mine 3 years ago and all is still good.

87 TriStar 190
02-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I replaced a few seals in my 87 TriStar over the years. That works a few times. Went with a whole new pump the last time. Easy to replace and worth the money. You should be able to tell when the shaft gets really loose. It's not worth fooling with the seal.

trickskier
02-12-2009, 07:19 AM
If you've put that much time and effort into restoring it, I recommend a new pump like Jim. Pull the old one put in the new one and you're finished. You won't be looking into the engine compartment each time you go out to see if it's leaking.

cmw
02-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the advice. We seem to be split down the middle. It's easier when everybody has the same answer. The boat does have over 1000 hrs on it, so I am wondering if new is the way to go.