PDA

View Full Version : When should the impeller be changed?

crtfour
02-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi,

I bought my first Mastercraft, a 1996 Prostar 205 last summer and I'm going to take it in for annual service, fluid change, etc this week. Over the phone they are telling me that the impeller should be changed because I'm not sure if and when it was changed before. After about how many number of hours should it be changed out? Thank you for the suggestions.

Rob

ncsone
02-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I think they say it should be changed every 100 hours. I change mine every spring just to be safe. It is a 15 minute job to change it on my boat, so the peace of mind is worth it.

crtfour
02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Ok thanks. If it's that easy I can likely do it myself. I imagine that the fluids are easy to change as well? Do you do that yourself? I do my own maintenance on my 2 cars, but have never on a boat before. That's why I am thinking about taking it to the shop and having them give it a once-over.

Rob

ncsone
02-10-2009, 11:12 PM
If the boat is relatively new to you, it might be good to have a mechanic give it a once-over. But, if you are inclined enough to do your own maintenance on your cars, you should have no problems with boat maintenance. It is a different set of challenges, but not as complex or challenging as autos.

I have always done my own maintenance and new installations and never had a problem. Compared to a car, everything seems less complex and a lot easier to get to.

bigmac
02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
If the impeller were easy to change on my boat, I'd probably change it every season. But it's not and I don't. I think I'm going on the third year with this impeller. I keep a couple around, for when it fries, but it hasn't. Yet.

JohnnyBoy
02-10-2009, 11:39 PM
I do all my own Maintence . Very easy

brad
02-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I would recommend to have it changed out whether you or a shop does it, if the impeller shreds up it may possibly dislodge pieces up through the hoses or worse yet up into the engine causing the motor to over heat. This is a very simple task and a piece of mind.

bigmac
02-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Bottom line...on a 94 Prostar the impeller is pretty simple to change, and the impeller plus gasket is $30. If your dealer wants much more than that to do it, have him leave the impeller alone.

As to oil changes, with a remote oil pan hose such as your boat has, and a hand or electric-powered suction pump, you can change your engine oil, filter, and transmission fluid in about 20 minutes.

TMCNo1
02-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Impeller, MC dealer or here, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

Change it once a year and carry a spare in the boat!

bturner2
02-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Don't forget to register on the DIM site and put in a discount code to get 10% off. As a side note I sent a note to them today asking if they would add Team Mastercraft to the groups offered the discount.

TMCNo1
02-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Don't forget to register on the DIM site and put in a discount code to get 10% off. As a side note I sent a note to them today asking if they would add Team Mastercraft to the groups offered the discount.

Never can to my mind, thanks for doing that! I'll also talk to them about it next time I call.

TX.X-30 fan
02-11-2009, 09:31 AM
If the impeller were easy to change on my boat, I'd probably change it every season. But it's not and I don't. I think I'm going on the third year with this impeller. I keep a couple around, for when it fries, but it hasn't. Yet.

I find this very disturbing indeed. :mad:

Monte
02-11-2009, 09:48 AM
My regular mechanic tells me to check it once a year, and change it at a minimum of once every two years.

bigmac
02-11-2009, 10:00 AM
I find this very disturbing indeed. :mad:With my previous I/O, I went 6 years on the same impeller. Ultimately, if failed, and I replaced it. That was kind of a PITA because there was no stainer to keep the little rubber pieces out of the block. I had to do some back-flushing. My MasterCraft at least has a strainer in the transmission cooler. When I winterize my boat, it's left full of -100 antifreeze, so the impeller never dries out. I think that makes a difference. Anyway, so far so good.

I don't advocate my particular maintenance policies, I only throw it out there.

TRBenj
02-11-2009, 10:15 AM
When I winterize my boat, it's left full of -100 antifreeze, so the impeller never dries out. I think that makes a difference.
Actually, everything Ive read indicates that the antifreeze will shorten the life of the impeller. Leaving it in the pump all winter will have a few vanes taking a set as well- that cant increase its life either.

I remove mine from the pump and store it inside every winter. Come spring, Ill be going on the 5th year for this impeller. Still looks brand new.

bigmac
02-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Actually, everything Ive read indicates that the antifreeze will shorten the life of the impeller. Leaving it in the pump all winter will have a few vanes taking a set as well- that cant increase its life either.

I remove mine from the pump and store it inside every winter. Come spring, Ill be going on the 5th year for this impeller. Still looks brand new.I haven't seen mine for awhile, but I propose that it looks brand new too...;)

Likely you're thinking of the effect of Vasoline or other petroleum-based lubricants on rubber. I am not aware of any significant rubber-degradation effects of propylene glycol - in fact, PG is used as a component in most vinyl/rubber-conditioning preparations like Meguair's.

Anyway, if/when the impeller fails, I'll replace it...unless I get some boring afternoon where I can afford to blow the 45 minutes and multiple contortions necessary to replace it.

flipper
02-11-2009, 10:48 AM
I change mine every spring, but most of the time it looks to be in good shape. Mine is really easy to change though.

JimN
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Whether an impeller dries out (it doesn't even get wet until the first time it's run in water) or not, flexing and relaxing stresses the vanes and sitting over the winter makes it want to stay in the shape of the pump housing. The vanes lose their ability to flex back to a straight shape and this reduces their ability to push the water through with the same pressure and volume. Leaving it in for more than a year is A) not recommended by anyone, B) lazy or cheap and C) just waiting for a major overheat with the associated problems.

Sodar
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Anyway, if/when the impeller fails, I'll replace it...unless I get some boring afternoon where I can afford to blow the 45 minutes and multiple contortions necessary to replace it.

My sentiments exactly. :)

bigmac
02-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Whether an impeller dries out (it doesn't even get wet until the first time it's run in water) or not, flexing and relaxing stresses the vanes and sitting over the winter makes it want to stay in the shape of the pump housing. The vanes lose their ability to flex back to a straight shape and this reduces their ability to push the water through with the same pressure and volume. Leaving it in for more than a year is A) not recommended by anyone, B) lazy or cheap and C) just waiting for a major overheat with the associated problems.

I'm thinkin' that I can get another 4 or 5 years out of this impeller. Granted, I may have to glue a few vanes back on every now and then, but at least the pieces will be caught in the transmission cooler stainer where I can recover them for the repair.

Let me reiterate: I don't propose that anyone take my impeller maintenance procedures as anything that would be endorsed by MasterCraft. I think everyone should follow MasterCraft's owner's manual to the letter. Including the part where they say that before EVERY boating excursion, you should remove the lower hose from the transmission cooler and check for blockages, AND where they say that the impeller should be stored in the off-season in a plastic bag and coated with petroleum jelly. I choose not to, but do as I say, not as I do.

bobx1
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
We dont put a lot of hours on our boat (maybe 40 per season - the party barge and jet ski are used for social crusing and the X1 only used for pulls) but the impeller is changed every spring - very cheap insurance.

JimN
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm thinkin' that I can get another 4 or 5 years out of this impeller. Granted, I may have to glue a few vanes back on every now and then, but at least the pieces will be caught in the transmission cooler stainer where I can recover them for the repair.

Let me reiterate: I don't propose that anyone take my impeller maintenance procedures as anything that would be endorsed by MasterCraft. I think everyone should follow MasterCraft's owner's manual to the letter. Including the part where they say that before EVERY boating excursion, you should remove the lower hose from the transmission cooler and check for blockages, AND where they say that the impeller should be stored in the off-season in a plastic bag and coated with petroleum jelly. I choose not to, but do as I say, not as I do.

Do you take your new car or truck in for scheduled maintenance?

wakeX2wake
02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
it has been my practice to get full service done before storing for winter... oil change, impeller, and tranny fluid... i've often thought that going ahead and putting the impeller in before storing for the winter might not be the best idea... advice?

we did this w/ the 225 and never had an issue but it didn't get used as much as the X2 either... should i be concerned about any impeller reliability issues using this practice... or i am good on my current practice?

JimN
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Since the OP hasn't had this kind of boat before, I think answering with anecdotes that fall outside of generally recommended service practices will only add confusion. Avoiding mechanical failure is the goal here. Replacement isn't always difficult and it's definitely not very expensive.

JimN
02-11-2009, 12:31 PM
To the original poster- do a search in the FAQ section here for maintenance topics. If you make and laminate a checklist for summerization and winterization, you can keep it in the boat, along with any spare parts and tools you decide to carry. Plastic tool boxes are cheap and they won't ruin your carpet by rusting.

Enjoy your boat.

Maristar210
02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
BigMac the rebel

russlars
02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
After having 2 impellers go bad, 1 in my old I/O that caused considerable damage due to engine overheating and 1 in my MC that I was lucky enough to recognize before it caused any serious problems, I have become a firm believer in putting in a new one every year. The old one is kept in the boat as a backup along with the necessary tools to change it out if needed. Very cheap insurance.:twocents:

chudson
02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
When I winterize I take the top side hose off the impeller housing and fill it with copy machine fuser oil (85% silicone) and it helps keep the rubber paddle wheel plyable and soft. I know this stuff isn't available to everyone but if you can get it it works great!!! It's nice to put on cars rubber window weather strip (lightly) and it helps the rubber seal to stay soft !!!

bigmac
02-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Do you take your new car or truck in for scheduled maintenance?
I religiously ask my GMC dealer to change the impeller on my truck every 10,000 miles, but he keeps telling me that it's unnecessary.

/

shepherd
02-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I religiously ask my GMC dealer to change the impeller on my truck every 10,000 miles, but he keeps telling me that it's unnecessary.

/

BigMac the rebel

You guys are cracking me up. 8p Thanks.

I changed my impeller twice last summer. Once because I wanted to smooth out the ride, the second time because it hit the trailer and got mangled. :(

JimN
02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
It's the thing on the multi-colored hat that sipns.:D

Gonzo
02-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I changed my impeller twice last summer. Once because I wanted to smooth out the ride, the second time because it hit the trailer and got mangled. :(

lol................

TMCNo1
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
I had to change mine year before last, when I got teak oil on it!:rolleyes::D

cmw
02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I changed mine yesterday. The old one stayed in the position it stopped in. I guess you could call it memory if that makes sense. If it is easy to access, I would do it every year.

Sodar
02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
You guys are cracking me up. 8p Thanks.

Jet boat, huh?

ORX-1
02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
I do mine every 90hrs.

TMCNo1
02-11-2009, 03:08 PM
I do mine every 90hrs.

Dude, that's a little overkill, nearly 98 impellers a year, WOW!:rolleyes::D Must be Fram impellers!

ski_king
02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
I put in a fresh one every year and save the old one as a spare.

I now have about 25 spares.

TMCNo1
02-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I change mine as often as I change my underware.

Does the impeller have skidmarks on it?:rolleyes::D

loeweb
02-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I can't remember the last time I changed my impeller. Maybe 4 years ago when I got the boat. The dumb thing came out really easily but the new one went in really hard. Kind of a pain as the new one had some fins on it and the old one had them strategically worn down to nubs. :)

Gonzo
02-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Does the impeller have skidmarks on it?:rolleyes::D

skidim marks maybe?

flipper
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
I just took my impeller out and left it out. saves weight for a better wake

Sodar
02-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I am tired of impellers. Can we talk about oil filters or teak oil... PLEASE!

flipper
02-11-2009, 04:21 PM
air or oil filters? Fuel filter? How about the tranny filter?

flipper
02-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Speaking of which, what kind of oil does my boat take? some kind of special marine oil? Where do you put the anti freze in the engine? Is my boat an automatic or standard? How many gears does it have?

TMCNo1
02-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I am tired of impellers. Can we talk about oil filters or teak oil... PLEASE!

Ok! Now what kind of filter does everyone use on their teak oil pump?:rolleyes::D

JimN
02-11-2009, 04:23 PM
I changed mine yesterday. The old one stayed in the position it stopped in. I guess you could call it memory if that makes sense. If it is easy to access, I would do it every year.

I think that's called "rigor mortise".

flipper
02-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Ok! Now what kind of filter does everyone use on their teak oil pump?:rolleyes::D

I make my own out of X-30's old pantyhose

Sodar
02-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Speaking of which, what kind of oil does my boat take? 15w-40 some kind of special marine oil? Yes Where do you put the anti freze in the engine? Right below the window washer fluid Is my boat an automatic or standard? standard How many gears does it have? 1-forward 1-reverse

Here you go Flip. If you need anymore help, ask Harold.

Sodar
02-11-2009, 04:28 PM

So in a circular kind of way, you actually use Pram's pantyhose after X-30 borrows them?

flipper
02-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks Sodar!!!!

flipper
02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
So in a circular kind of way, you actually use Pram's pantyhose after X-30 borrows them?

Yeah, never thought of it that way, but I guess once again you're right:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
02-11-2009, 06:22 PM

Is a Pram filter better than a Fram?

TX.X-30 fan
02-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Sorry about the toe holes. :D

crtfour
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
As the original starter of this thread, thank you for all the responses!!

Rob T.

JimN
02-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Sorry about the toe holes. :D

If you'd trim yer hooves, they wouldn't have holes, would they?

pbloss
02-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Change that baby every season. If it squeeks on the water you are screwed. Things are gonna get hot...hot ...hot!

Patrick

KBryant2007
02-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Is the impeller the same for all year models? I think I'm going to order mine from Skidim and get the 10 percent discount. I have a 05 Prostar with the MCX.

bigmac
02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Speaking of which, what kind of oil does my boat take? some kind of special marine oil? Where do you put the anti freze in the engine? Is my boat an automatic or standard? How many gears does it have?

I don't know about the other questions, but as to "how many gears...?"....when I took my transmission apart to change the oil, I found more than 30 gears of various sizes.

TX.X-30 fan
02-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't know about the other questions, but as to "how many gears...?"....when I took my transmission apart to change the oil, I found more than 30 gears of various sizes.

You used amsoil for the rebuild right??

bigmac
02-22-2009, 10:21 PM
You used amsoil for the rebuild right??

I love that stuff...

http://mccollister.info/amchair.jpg

TMCNo1
02-22-2009, 10:51 PM

I only run in second gear, overdrive is just too over rated!:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
02-22-2009, 11:13 PM
I love that stuff...

http://mccollister.info/amchair.jpg

Who said doctors don't have a sense of humor. Is that real??? :D

bigmac
02-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Who said doctors don't have a sense of humor. Is that real??? :D

Pretty much...

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/51029995.jpg