PDA

View Full Version : tracking fins on X2

craig3972
02-10-2009, 03:02 PM
At the risk of sounding foolish, Are there tracking fins on an X2? if not why not?

corey
02-10-2009, 03:16 PM
The X-2 does not have tracking fins as it has more V through the running surface than a conventional ski boat. Typically ski boats have a very flat running surface and thus needs the tracking fins for directional stability, the V in the X-2 hull does this on its own. The V allows the X-2 to have a much smoother ride in rough water, or even when driving through its own waves.

The new X-14V, which is based off of a ProStar hull does have tracking fins.

FWIW the X-2, X-15, X-30, X-35, X-45 and X-55 do not have tracking fins.

wakeX2wake
02-10-2009, 03:26 PM
and... yea you can really turn the x2 over a bit if you try really hard but it's pretty easy for me (a 240 lbs+ guy) to turn any boat if i try hard... i couldn't see the fins helping much just from what i've seen from my buddys SANTE 210 which has fins... i can turn his just as much as mine

craig3972
02-10-2009, 03:28 PM
I guess my next question would be: Then why does an x-star have tracking fins? dont the X2 and x-star adhere to the same basic hull design theory? ( just on a diffent scale)

Sodar
02-10-2009, 03:29 PM
The X-2 does not have tracking fins as it has more V through the running surface than a conventional ski boat. Typically ski boats have a very flat running surface and thus needs the tracking fins for directional stability, the V in the X-2 hull does this on its own. The V allows the X-2 to have a much smoother ride in rough water, or even when driving through its own waves.

The new X-14V, which is based off of a ProStar hull does have tracking fins.

FWIW the X-2, X-15, X-30, X-35, X-45 and X-55 do not have tracking fins.

Does the 280/X-80 have tracking fins? I would be concerned about moving it around when I am going through the course.

Thanks in Advance!

wakeX2wake
02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
i would have to guess that's b/c the x2 is shorter and the "V" takes up a larger percentage of the hull... the hull on an X2 does flatten off in the stern but the ridge from the bow runs over half way length wise

wakeX2wake
02-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Does the 280/X-80 have tracking fins? I would be concerned about moving it around when I am going through the course.

Thanks in Advance!

i think that's why the put separate throttle controls on them... so PP can take care of you...

ps you'd be crazy to try running the slalom course behind the X-80... the tower and the ballast tanks add on too much weight... stay light and crispy w/ the 280

Sodar
02-10-2009, 03:33 PM
i think that's why the put separate throttle controls on them... so PP can take care of you...

ps you'd be crazy to try running the slalom course behind the X-80... the tower and the ballast tanks add on too much weight... stay light and crispy w/ the 280

Good Thinkin'

corey
02-10-2009, 03:46 PM
The X-Star and the X-2 have radically different running surfaces. The X-Star purpose built to have the best wake in the industry and it does it through what MasterCraft calls the AP-1 Hull. This hull looks to have a fair amount of V through the hull but at a closer glance you will see that the hull is very flat from about the drivers seat back where as the X-2 doesnt flatten out until a bit behind that.

The X-2 also uses a modified step hull, this is the triangular cutout on the side of the boat. The X-Star uses a different kind of step which basically makes the running surface narrower than other MC's.

Though marketed as the Mini X-Star its more in quality of wake than how the wakes are achieved.

craig3972
02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
The X-Star and the X-2 have radically different running surfaces. The X-Star purpose built to have the best wake in the industry and it does it through what MasterCraft calls the AP-1 Hull. This hull looks to have a fair amount of V through the hull but at a closer glance you will see that the hull is very flat from about the drivers seat back where as the X-2 doesnt flatten out until a bit behind that.

The X-2 also uses a modified step hull, this is the triangular cutout on the side of the boat. The X-Star uses a different kind of step which basically makes the running surface narrower than other MC's.

Though marketed as the Mini X-Star its more in quality of wake than how the wakes are achieved.

Good info Thanks!