PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable ?

94PS190
02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
My 94 190 drives like a TANK. When I first got the boat a few years ago I replaed the cable and it didn't help. Any ideas what else to try? Does anyone know what cable length I need. I think it's posssible it had the wrong cable in it, and I replaced it with the same one. The rudder moves easily when the cable in unhooked.

ShamrockIV
02-09-2009, 09:07 PM
wish i knew bro. i had same problem with my 209. i changed it and it drives like it is on rails now. someone will come along with the proper length for u.

jixxxer
02-10-2009, 06:33 AM
speaking of cables, is there a set point in time which they should be changed out? I wouldnt know if need to change mine or not cause I have driven any others.

ProStar Slalom
02-19-2009, 09:28 AM
If everything is right, you should be able to turn your wheel with one finger. My '01 was real stiff when I bought the boat last year, and got worse over the summer. Changed it this winter....what a difference! For the previous post, it can only be one of three things....cable, rudder box, or steering column. Just disconnect the cable from both to isolate the problem...with cable disconnected the wheel should spin freely and the rudder should flop back and forth by hand.

jixxxer
02-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Turn the wheel with one finger when? Like when driving or just as it sits on the trailer? I know when we boarding thers no way u can turn it with one finger....more like two hands. 20mph; loaded with weight.

Monte
02-19-2009, 09:36 AM
It may be kinked somewhere. Mine was a little to long, so we re-routed, and replaced it with one that was a foot shorter. Don't know if that will help your application. It should turn with one finger though.

jixxxer
02-19-2009, 09:53 AM
It may be kinked somewhere. Mine was a little to long, so we re-routed, and replaced it with one that was a foot shorter. Don't know if that will help your application. It should turn with one finger though.

So your saying, when u are cruising, say 20-30 mph, you can turn the wheel and whip the boat around with one finger!??

94PS190
02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
The last two digits on my cable are 17. Does this mean it's a 17 foot cable? Is this the right length? I turns hard when the rudder is disconnected, but the cable has been that way since it was new. Wheel turns easily when the cable is disconnected on the wheel end. It makes a pretty sharp bend under the dash, but I do not see anyway to change that. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

H20skeefreek
02-19-2009, 05:12 PM
The last two digits on my cable are 17. Does this mean it's a 17 foot cable? Is this the right length? I turns hard when the rudder is disconnected, but the cable has been that way since it was new. Wheel turns easily when the cable is disconnected on the wheel end. It makes a pretty sharp bend under the dash, but I do not see anyway to change that. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave
Yes, it's a 17 if the last two digits are 17.

ProStar Slalom
02-19-2009, 09:55 PM
So your saying, when u are cruising, say 20-30 mph, you can turn the wheel and whip the boat around with one finger!??

Yes, at cruising/skiing speed. Now...this is for a slalom boat that is not loaded down with ballast or people. For a heavy boat at wakeboard speed I think the steering will be somewhat stiffer.

Monte
02-19-2009, 10:05 PM

I assume I could If I really wanted to. The wheel turns pretty darn easily:cool: But If I'm going to whip the boat around at 30 I'm going to be holding on to the wheel. Thats a promise;)

Monte
02-19-2009, 10:16 PM

Thanks

Dave

Skidim was a great help with my replacement. I wound up having to change out my helm assembly too, hopefully you can get by without having to do that. http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1120&pagenumber=1&sort_on=&sort_by=

Either that, or maybe a dealer has some on hand. Try MYMC, Erkholer, or Jim@BAWS. There are a few others on here too,

jixxxer
02-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Ok, thanks; guess that means something is wrong with mine cause its not that easy. It is at slow speeds but not at cruising speeds.

stewbo
02-20-2009, 11:08 AM
On my 93 prostar, i can run the boat all day with on finger, check the length of the cable to make sure its the rite one. also check the grase fittins make sure those are greazed up good. also does anyone have any issues with there shifter being loose as in when we are making passes u have to have your hand on the shifter at all times if not the boat will set down. is there any way to tighten it up?

Monte
02-20-2009, 11:43 AM
On my 93 prostar, i can run the boat all day with on finger, check the length of the cable to make sure its the rite one. also check the grase fittins make sure those are greazed up good. also does anyone have any issues with there shifter being loose as in when we are making passes u have to have your hand on the shifter at all times if not the boat will set down. is there any way to tighten it up?

There is a way to tighten it up a little, but I did not do that fix. I watched as the mechanic did it though.

stewbo
02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
We tried messing with it, the guy that had the boat skied in tournaments and had the shifter set so when he threw it down he would not have to go all the way down with it. i changed it back. u think something could have been stretetched out from years of bein run like it was? its just a pain on the weekend riding around!

TOO-TALL
02-21-2009, 02:03 AM
also does anyone have any issues with there shifter being loose as in when we are making passes u have to have your hand on the shifter at all times if not the boat will set down. is there any way to tighten it up?

My shifter was loose last year.
If you look under the shifter below the button that disingages the tranny.There is a allen screw.Mine is on the chrome ring.You can tighten it up and this should get rid of the play.