PDA

View Full Version : Which Edelbrock Intake

samtechwaterski
02-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Ok, I have been doing alot of reading and have searched alot. I am almost ready to pull the 351 out as many of you know and I have decided to go ahead and put a intake and new cam in it while im at it. From what everyone has said I should put in the Edelbrock Performer, but which one? The performer is tuned for idle to 5500 where the RPM is tuned for 1550 to 6500. I am confused as to which one to use. Our engines never really turn more that 5500 so that makes me think to use the Performer. But as some of you have said in these boats we get to 3000 really really fast. So needless to say im confused. Any opinions?

Also, I am aware that there might be some clearance issues. My motorbox has no insulation. I would not mind installing insulation to make it quieter but I am not sure thats going to work well with the new intake. I took some measurements and it looks like from the floor to the top of the flame arrestor is 21" (does that sound right) My flamearrestor is right around 2" tall. I also measured the motorbox and it looks like it is 24" tall from the floor to the inside top (does that sound about right).

So it looks like i will be able to add a intake and keep the PCV spacer and not have any problems? Thanks alot

Sam

samtechwaterski
02-08-2009, 10:13 PM
For those that dont know its a 1993 Prostar 205

BrianM
02-08-2009, 10:27 PM
The Performer is what you want. The RPM is for higher reving power where as the Performer is for that off idle to 5500 power which is ecastly what you want in a tow boat. Like yous said these boats will never rev over 5500.

454Prostar190
02-09-2009, 01:12 PM
The Performer is what you want. The RPM is for higher reving power where as the Performer is for that off idle to 5500 power which is ecastly what you want in a tow boat. Like yous said these boats will never rev over 5500.

Agreed. The Performer is a dual plane style and the torque comes on right where you will need it. I have a Performer on my '70 Formula 400 4 speed and it has loads of torque and is low enough to fit under the hood which is a real issue.

east tx skier
02-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Clearance is going to be close. Back when I did mine, you could get a low profile flame arrestor from skidim. No longer, but perhaps someone has found a substitute. As you point out, if you have a newer holley carb, you might be able to plumb the pcv valve into it and lose the spacer (and possibly a couple of horses, but not many). No insulation helps. You can add it, then remove a good size chunk around the flame arrestor to allow everything to breath. That's what I did after realizing I wasn't going to have room under the hood.

Also, you'll need to keep an eye on your throttle cable if you have perfect pass. I had to add a bracket ot mine to keep the cable level enough to prevent it from binding up.

For all the troubleshooting that resulted, it's still a great upgrade.

samtechwaterski
02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
East Tx, Do you have a picture of your adapter for the throttle cable. And yes I do have perfect pass.

Also I have been talking to some mechanics and they are worried and hesitant to put that intake on because its Aluminum and it will be used on a boat. Should I worry about that? The boat is not used in salt or brackish.

Any thoughts on a cam? Just call Cam Research?

Sam

east tx skier
02-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I had no issues with the aluminum. I figured MC had used the LT1 for some time and I hadn't read any issues with it.

Call research.

east tx skier
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't have any pictures. My local CC dealer found it in their parts book. Roddydog bought my old boat. He may have a picture. It's possible that it might be visible in my "boat sale" thread.

TRBenj
02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
What are your performance goals? Do you already have GT40 heads (351w HO)? If not, seriously consider upgrading to GT40 or GT40p heads, as those together with the right intake and cam will make some decent hp.

If you can find a way to fit it under the motorbox, the Performer RPM will handily outperform the regular Performer. Everyone here is correct in that you wont be turning very high RPM's as compared to a car- but what you cant tell by looking at the basic specs is that the taller dual plane intakes have a significant advantage in MIDRANGE power. This is exactly what you need for a ski boat. I went with an intake similar to the RPM (Weiand Stealth) and trust me, you wont lose a shred of power down low. It sounds like youve done your research and have probably seen where I have chimed in before- but low end torque (below 2500 RPM) is meaningless for our application. Its all about the midrange! Take some play dough and put it on top of your arrestor to find out how much room youre working with. A standard Performer will be ~1.5" taller than the stock intake, and an RPM will be roughly an inch taller than that. Go with the absolute tallest that can fit. Other tricks to increasing clearance would include a spacer under the motorbox or eliminating the 1" spacer under the carb (and plumbing the PCV line to a vaccum fitting on the carb, etc). A 2" flame arrestor is about the shortest that you'll be able to fit without bottoming out on the J vents, so youre good to go there.

As far as a cam goes, by all means, call Cam Research. Make sure you know exactly what you have (heads, intake, cam, compression ratio, etc) and what your goals are for how you intend to use the boat. They'll come up with a great recommendation.

Oh, and no worries on the aluminum intake for a fresh water boat. If it were $1200 heads instead, maybe Id lean towards a cast iron equivalent- but a $200 intake isnt a big deal. The LT1 has al heads, I believe.

Im not sure what changes would need to be made (if any) to accomodate Perfect Pass, but here's a pic of the throttle cable bracket extension I added to my engine. It keeps the throw level despite the taller intake.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/GL07motor.jpg

454Prostar190
02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/GL07motor.jpg

That is sharp!

samtechwaterski
02-10-2009, 04:24 PM
TRBenj Thanks for the great reply. I will try the playdough trick as soon as I can get back to the boat. The motor is the 351 HO so yes it has the GT40 heads and I have inspected it and confirmed that it does, so were good to go there. Bascially I would like to get the best intake and cam, I think thats all I want to do as far as mods go. What HP and torque numbers do you think I would be running with a fresh 351 HO, Edelbrock Intake, new Cam? Im not necessarily worried about the numbers but I think I will defiantly feel the difference. I just want to add a few things but not go overboard. Theres plenty of places I can spend the money. New wiring harness, steering cable ect.

On a side note. What kind of tool do I use to take out the allen bolt that holds the Exhaust risers to the manifold? I cant seem to make anything fit. Also what size is that bolt? Thanks alot

Sam

TRBenj
02-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks 454.

Sam, a H/C/I upgrade on the 351w really wakes it up- the GT40's that came on the HO were a pretty good upgrade over the e7's on the base motor. With the right combo, Id expect you could do 320hp or so. You will definitely feel the difference! That being said, what are you running for a prop? Thats the single biggest upgrade you can do- even better than the motor work.

Im not much help on the riser bolt question- I never had to disassemble mine before I replaced them. The originals were PCM's anyways- so the Indmar/MC set up is likely to be different.

east tx skier
02-10-2009, 05:06 PM
TRBenj Thanks for the great reply. I will try the playdough trick as soon as I can get back to the boat. The motor is the 351 HO so yes it has the GT40 heads and I have inspected it and confirmed that it does, so were good to go there. Bascially I would like to get the best intake and cam, I think thats all I want to do as far as mods go. What HP and torque numbers do you think I would be running with a fresh 351 HO, Edelbrock Intake, new Cam? Im not necessarily worried about the numbers but I think I will defiantly feel the difference. I just want to add a few things but not go overboard. Theres plenty of places I can spend the money. New wiring harness, steering cable ect.

On a side note. What kind of tool do I use to take out the allen bolt that holds the Exhaust risers to the manifold? I cant seem to make anything fit. Also what size is that bolt? Thanks alot

Sam

Sam, as you pointed out, it's an allen head with no clearance for much more than an angled allen wrench. I got so frustrated with mine that I took it to a local service station and paid them $20 to remove them. Skidim sells something that looks easier to remove in a package with replacement gaskets.

I figured Tim would be along with lots of good intake info since I have read his posts on the subject quite a few times. One thing to point out, from the looks of it, hiis CC motorbox has a bit more clearance than your 93 MC box has. If you don't want to lose any components to make it fit, he showed me a picture on the CCFan site once of someone's boat on which the owner had placed a collar below the motorbox to use as a riser. I considered doing this with my old boat, but never got around to it. Seems like it would also be nice in perhaps keeping ropes and vest straps out of the bilge, which I always remember being a pain with the non-clam shell boxes.

denverd1
02-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Yep. It's amazing how much hp and torque you can get out of these motors with the right combo of upgrades. I followed TRBenj's advice on my engine last year and it was a night and day difference from the old motor. I put her away last year without getting it tuned 100% - ran out of season. So, i'm looking forward to putting some serious hours on it this year.

Hunterb
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
To remove those allen bolts all you have to do is cut down a regular allen wrench. You cut the short end so it is only about 1/2 an inch long and it is easy to get the bolts out then. The design of the recess still doesn't allow very many degrees of movement of the wrench but you should have both bolts out in 10 minutes at the most.

Good luck with the upgrades. I just have the stock set-up in mine.

Bruce

samtechwaterski
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Hunterb thanks for that tip. What would you use to cut down a allen wrench? Any idea what size it is exactly (not at the boat right now).

As far as the intake goes I went back to the boat and put the engine box and floor back in and tried the playdough method as well as a couple others. It looks like the only one that will fit is the performer and it will fit fine. The performer RMP looks like I am off by about .5 or .75 inches, its not going to fit.

TRBenj, thanks for the advice on the RPM but looks like its not going to fit. I think I will still be happy with the performer right? Anything else I should think about while doing this process. Right now its Performer Intake, Rebuild the motor (only whats needed) Machine whats needed. Also a new Cam which I dont know where to start other than just calling Cam Research? What about Edelbrock performer cams?

Sam

TRBenj
02-12-2009, 01:17 PM
On the cam, just call Cam Research! They know Fords and they know ski boats. They'll make a great recommendation based on your parts and goals. Way better than what you or I (or anyone else here) could come up with on our own! Trust me- I know half a dozen guys running CR bumpsticks in their Correct Crafts- these guys know their stuff.

flipper
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
On the cam, just call Cam Research! They know Fords and they know ski boats. They'll make a great recommendation based on your parts and goals. Way better than what you or I (or anyone else here) could come up with on our own! Trust me- I know half a dozen guys running CR bumpsticks in their Correct Crafts- these guys know their stuff.

do you have their number or link?

TRBenj
02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
do you have their number or link?
Let me google that for you. (http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=cam+research&l=1)

flipper
02-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Let me google that for you. (http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=cam+research&l=1)

Thanks.....can you google "impeller" for me now?:D