PDA

View Full Version : BF 200 Steering Part/Fix question

duckguy
02-08-2009, 02:43 PM
I will be pulling out the BF 200 Soon and it needs one last thing. The steering wheel has some lateral play in it. I did a little digging last year and found that it is not a loose bolt etc. in the tilt assembly. It however appears to have wear in the shaft itself. Behind the wheel where the shaft meets the collar in the hub. After years I imagine it has worn and become loose. Any idea of fixes. They do not make the helm any more from what I have been told, and a new cable and helm I would guess is pretty pricey.

woftam
02-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Pics or diagrams might help get you some good answers.

That should be a hydraulic steering system on a BF 200. No cable, but expensive to replace a complete system.

TMCNo1
02-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Pics or diagrams might help get you some good answers.

That should be a hydraulic steering system on a BF 200. No cable, but expensive to replace a complete system.

Look the helm over for part numbers, manufacturer name, then check with the regular dealers on here and maybe even http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1120&pagenumber=1&sort_on=&sort_by= , pages 3 and 4 and see if they have anything compatible.

Sodar
02-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Have you considered switching a hydraulic?

A new helm is going to be about $200... a SeaStar hydraulic system will probably run about $400. You will never need to replace another cable again and there is zero play in the helm or wheel.

I know what you are speaking of with the play in the helm, my 1996 had a little in it also.

duckguy
02-08-2009, 06:38 PM
It is not Hydro right now, its is power assisted in some way or another. Morse helm.

Footin
02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
My 91 had twin cable steering. I got tired of the torque steer and installed seastar hydrualic steering system with a tilt helm. Huge difference!

Delete1
02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
My 1990 Prostar 200 outboard has hydraulic steering, I wouldn't hesitate if I were you to switch over. Worth the money.

woftam
02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
My 1990 Prostar 200 outboard has hydraulic steering, I wouldn't hesitate if I were you to switch over. Worth the money.

I was incorrect in assuming all the BF200's were equipped with hydraulic steering. I've seen a dozen or so, of varying years, and all were so equipped.

My '94 BF200 project boat has other problems, but the steering is great. I think you'd (duckguy) be happy with hydraulic vs cable.

duckguy
02-10-2009, 08:07 PM
I think you are all correct. Sadly my MC dealer, Redline Watersports does not do much with Mercury and I hate to look to outside sources when it comes to messing with my boat as I really trust them. So perhapes they will be able to cook something up.

woftam
02-10-2009, 09:02 PM
If you go with Seastar or another system, the steering cylinder that mounts to your Merc outboard is engine model/year specific.
http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/OUTBOARD/oboard.htm (pic example on the top of the page)

The rest of the system is fairly generic. Parts or system kits are available on ebay as well as traditional retailers.

woftam
02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
wrong link. Try this one:
http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/OUTBOARD/oboard.htm
or use the other one and click on "Front Mount System"

cbryan70
02-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Wouldnt you also need the steering mech on the motor? Sodar if you can find a complete system for 400 bucks let me know as that is below cost for a complete system IIRC. You would need the complete kit
http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=3469320. Looking at $800 to $1000 plus install

whitedog
02-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I think you are all correct. Sadly my MC dealer, Redline Watersports does not do much with Mercury and I hate to look to outside sources when it comes to messing with my boat as I really trust them. So perhapes they will be able to cook something up.

Talk to the guys at Rock River Marine in Newville/ Edgerton. They have deal with Mercs and all kinds of stearing systems for outboards. Most likely have the parts ou need on hand, would also recomend the switch to hydrolic.

Delete1
02-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Are there any Mercury Dealers in your area? They would have everything you would need to change over to the hydraulic steering. I don't think it would be to expensive either, the hardest thing would be to have the boat in the shop for a couple of days though.