PDA

View Full Version : any guess how much something like this may cost?

brucemac
02-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm wanting someone to make me something similar to this picture attached.

I don't know even where to start looking though or what it might cost.

I can't find anything online probably because of it's uncommon half din size.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/611713.jpg

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/611714.jpg

JimN
02-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Google the brand and model number.

brucemac
02-08-2009, 01:44 PM
been there done that. i've searched online in sum at least a couple hours. looking at pictures, other installs, etc. nothing. i need to find a machinist who can make it.

TMCNo1
02-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm wanting someone to make me something similar to this picture attached.

I don't know even where to start looking though or what it might cost.

I can't find anything online probably because of it's uncommon half din size.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/611713.jpg

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/611714.jpg

I am assuming your referencing the Wetsounds switch panel?
This place would be a start, http://www.fpmmetals.com/autopics.htm

I bet they can even help, http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/contact_us/contact_us.html

brucemac
02-08-2009, 02:30 PM
thanks Harold, I'll give them a call tomorrow

JimN
02-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Coulda been a bit more clear about which you were looking for. I figured you were looking for the EQ.

Look in Hemmings or any other vintage car mags and catalogs. The "turned" metal was used in the first T-Birds and many other custom cars.

brucemac
02-08-2009, 03:00 PM
sorry guys, you're right, i wasn't clear. sorry about that. i am looking for the turned stainless piece. i emailed that company harold linked. thanks for the replies fellas.

bturner2
02-08-2009, 03:05 PM
If this the same stuff on the dash it's not even real turned metal. The peice I saw was a plastic overlay on a peice of aluminum. My brother in-law has a water jet cutting shop. I'm sure I can get anything you want cut if you can cad up the peice and find the material. He may even konw where to get the metal stock.

brucemac
02-08-2009, 03:21 PM
thanks bturner2. i don't have any cad experience, but i think my brother does. if you don't mind asking him what all he needs and letting me know that would be super cool and i can call my brother today and see if the cad diagram is something he can do.

TMCNo1
02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
A simple thin cardboard pattern (like the backing on a legal pad), cut out with a X-Acto knife/razor blade/scissors and bent is all it takes.

OHIOPRO205
02-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Any fab shop can make that easy. I have one about 1/2 mile from my house. He can make anything. Wouldn't cost much at all.The swirl is put on with a wire or sanding disc.

brucemac
02-08-2009, 06:38 PM
thanks guys. bturner2 hold off on contacting your bro. i got an email from the owner of that boat and it turns out he's about an hour away from me. we're going to connect tomorrow and he may be able to help me out if i can buy the material. looks like his is actually a laminate (as mentioned above) with a piece of machined stainless behind it. very least he should be able to point me in the right direction. probably less expensive if i can find the laminate, i'd probably be happy either way depending on the cost. just want it to look good. thanks again for the replies. teak time. :)

TMCNo1
02-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Most any local HVAC sheet metal shop will have sheet aluminum of different gauges and for probably less than $25 you can get a piece cut the size you need and they can even bend in their press brake and maybe even cut out the hole. All you'll have to do is engine turn it or apply a engine turn laminate that you may be able to find or order from a sign shop.

Maristar210
02-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I can make that, no problem.

Let me know if you run into a dead end and I'll do it for a thank you...

TMCNo1
02-08-2009, 08:21 PM

It don't get no better than that!

TallRedRider
02-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I was struggling for the same thing. I have installed a WS 420 EQ myself and finally ended up just carving a hole in the dash. It fits just fine and looks pretty decent. I will probably then put a carbon fiber laminate on there instead of the swirled alluminum, but what you put depends on what would match your boat.

If you have a 2003, then you probably have the dash that is already that swirled aluminum...so it makes sense to get the same. Show us a pic once you get her all done.

brucemac
02-08-2009, 09:18 PM

Hey Maristar, thanks a ton for the offer. That's really cool. I'll keep that in mind. That FPM Metals place will sell turned aluminum or stainless in a small sheet, but i need to figure out where to have it machined. i'll shoot ya a pm if i get stuck and thanks again for the offer. that's really nice. Hopefully that guy who emailed me back today will email me or call tomorrow.

--b

prostar205
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey Brucemac -

Thanks for the props on the install. If you haven't gotten my email yet, Harold was right on the money. I got the engine turned material from FMP metals. I sent you the link. Get the DGL-75 (not the DGL-50) that I got because the swirl patterns won't match. I will talk to my machinist the milled my panel for me and see if he still has the drawing I did for him. I'm a mechanical engineer and have 2 machine shops at our facility that can make just about anything. Unfortunately, these guys are so busy it's hard to get their time for personal jobs (we call them G jobs). At least I can get you the drawing and you can see if that will work for you. I would do as someone else suggested and make a template from cardboard then take dimensions off that and make a drawing. That is what I did. Also, notice the the front face of the WS-420 has 4 thru holes (2 on each side) of the face with 4-40 hex head cap screws. I then had my buddy tap the plate to attach the WS-420 to the plate using those 4 screws.

Tom

craig3972
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
its pretty easy to put that pattern in the aluminum yourself. use a hand drill with a some cloth wound up on an arbour (old drill bit). apply some coarse polishing compound to the cloth. practice on a scrap piece of aluminum until you get good at repeating the pattern. you can lay a straight edge across the workpiece to help you stay straight.

brucemac
02-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey Tom! Got your email, thanks again for getting back to me! I really appreciate it!

Yeah, if you have that drawing kicking around that would be awesome!

Craig, yeah, I've heard it's not that tough, but to do it right I think you really need a drill press and since I have to have it machined anyway, I may as well have it done right.

Hopefully my mechanic knows someone nearby who can do it for me. He's in to hot rods, so my hunch is he'll know someone. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll ship it off to Maristar! :)

Maristar210
02-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm showing off here but I made these for my BIL after his kid decided the teak was a good braking method for a jet ski

If you do need it done please triple check the dim's on the drawing and I'll pm you my fax number or e-mail.

kycat2007
02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Nice work Steve, the brackets look top shelf and the teak looks great