PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice

mlay
02-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Had someone ask me about this and since I am no expert figured I would ask those that are. This is a add posted on Craigslist, and the engine can be re-built or replaced. My question, maybe a stupid one, is if purchased this boat would end up in Floriday in saltwater, is this boat designed for such. Pardon my question but I have always been a freshwater boat owner and do not want to pass along incorrect info.
Also, what do others think of the listed price?

Thanks for any input.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/1015898399.html

TMCNo1
02-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Had someone ask me about this and since I am no expert figured I would ask those that are. This is a add posted on Craigslist, and the engine can be re-built or replaced. My question, maybe a stupid one, is if purchased this boat would end up in Floriday in saltwater, is this boat designed for such. Pardon my question but I have always been a freshwater boat owner and do not want to pass along incorrect info.
Also, what do others think of the listed price?

Thanks for any input.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/1015898399.html

Although link doesn't work, if engine is replaced or rebuilt, a closed cooling system should probably be added if it will be used in saltwater.

JimN
02-08-2009, 12:12 PM
I bet that if the motor was stripped down to the block, it could be freshened up unless it blew holes in the cylinders and in that case, a replacement block could be found. It's not a hard motor to disassemble and other than flushing the intake manifold cooling passages, the rest only involves the block. The injection system and all of the other peripherals are probably fine, unless the seller is only telling part of the story.

Jerseydave
02-08-2009, 08:45 PM
A salty environment is unkind to more than just the engine. Don't forget corrosion of other metal boat hardware, electrical systems and connections, steering cable, etc. My guess is after spending $18K on the boat you'll spend over $6K for the engine and another $2-3K for other items. And that's before you buy a trailer for it!

I've owned 8 boats in my lifetime, and I would be really hard pressed to buy a pre-owned salt water boat. And don't forget that if it has bottom paint on it, that will lower the value considerably. (My buddy bottom painted his BU and 80% of his potential buyers ran away after they found it it was bottom painted)

If you haven't exhausted all possibilities, I'd keep looking.