PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wiring Harness

Wake Faller
02-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi-

I just bought a 2006 MS 230 Trailer and have since found the lights to be really screwed up (most running lights don't work, back up lights come on when headlights are on, one tail light doesn't work altogether). Best I can tell, someone has re-wired it with an aftermarket wiring harness (obviously no back up light wire).

I have two questions into which I was hoping someone might provide insight:
1) What could possibly posess someone to re-wire a trailer that is just 3 years old?

2) Does anyone have any experience or idea what a factory wiring harness for a MS 230 trailer costs?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

TMCNo1
02-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Sounds like a simple ground issue. A lack of or poor ground makes trailer lights do some weird stuff!
I am a living example of that!

SkiDog
02-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Sounds like a simple ground issue. A lack of or poor ground makes trailer lights do some weird stuff!
I am a living example of that!

I agree with #1 here. Thats Probably the problem. Take it to a place the deals with or sells trailers. They'll fix it for little to nothing. I seriously doubt that anybody rewired a fairly NEW trailer.

TMCNo1
02-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree with Skidog, let someone else do it and save the headaches, but if you insist on learning and DIY, two or three 3', 16 gauge wire jumpers with alligator clips on the ends, a cheap 12v test light will go a long way toward sorting the problem out one light function at a time. But, get a good clean ground between raw trailer frame steel and raw tow vehicle steel is the 1st priority. Do not try to ground to any part of the moving brake actuator parts. When I had no brakes on our '89, I could ground thru the ball and tongue, even with grease on the ball, but when I installed brakes in '97, the actuator would not allow a complete ground to the trailer frame and therefore I had to run a separate ground from the actuator tube to the van frame to make a ground.

mccobmd
02-08-2009, 05:14 PM
took mine to a local trailer shop and had a complete rewire because I had a ground out I couldn't find, cost me $264 total, money well spent.

Wake Faller
02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks Guys-

I really appreciate the advice - I will check out all the grounds to see what gives.

Take Care,
Craig