PDA

View Full Version : Cars, cars, cars

shepherd
02-07-2009, 06:40 AM
We're looking for a decent late model used car for my wife - it's time to get rid of her minivan. A sporty luxury sedan like a Lexus or Mercedes. We want to keep the price at $25K or less. These are the cars we're looking at (online) so far:

Lexus IS 250 or 350
Mercedes E Class
Infiniti G35 Sedan
Jaguar X-Type

What do you guys think? Any positive or negative comments about any of these? Are there any other comparable cars? Comparable American cars? I haven't heard anything good about the Jaguar, so its at the bottom of my list. I haven't been able to find a decent one of these cars within 100 miles of our podunk town, so I don't want to waste my time going to look at a car we won't like. Thanks in advance.

( I'm still pushing for the Mustang GT convertible, but she ain't going for it. :( )

Chief
02-07-2009, 07:14 AM
We're looking for a decent late model used car for my wife - it's time to get rid of her minivan. A sporty luxury sedan like a Lexus or Mercedes. We want to keep the price at $25K or less. These are the cars we're looking at (online) so far:

Lexus IS 250 or 350
Mercedes E Class
Infiniti G35 Sedan
Jaguar X-Type

What do you guys think? Any positive or negative comments about any of these? Are there any other comparable cars? Comparable American cars? I haven't heard anything good about the Jaguar, so its at the bottom of my list. I haven't been able to find a decent one of these cars within 100 miles of our podunk town, so I don't want to waste my time going to look at a car we won't like. Thanks in advance.

( I'm still pushing for the Mustang GT convertible, but she ain't going for it. :( )

Can't go wrong with a Lexus.

trickskier
02-07-2009, 08:22 AM
I would stay away from the Jaguar. From what I've heard they breakdown a lot and are expensive to repair.

east tx skier
02-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Can't go wrong with a Lexus.

From the cars you listed, our family only has experience with the Lexus. My mom bought a 94 LS400 in 96 with 19K miles on it and it still runs like a top and doesn't look nearly as dated as most cars its age.

D3skier
02-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I'd say Lexus as well. Jag and Mercedes would be very expensive repairs for what ever would be needed. And after my issues I had in the past with Nissan I wouldn't recommend anything Nissan related at all due to their crappy Consumer Affairs department and upper management not giving a rats a$$ about their customers.

h2oskifreak
02-07-2009, 10:05 AM
I think I would steer clear of the Jag for sure. Lexus is a good car the models you mentioned, but they are small though. Make sure they give you the interior room you need. I have exp. with Mercedes, I currently own 2 and have had 6 in my driving years. Mercedes don't love the heat, so depending on how the weather is where you are? Also, you don't drive a Benz like you do cars like a Lexus. People just don't get this. Mercedes are not the type of cars to "Jack Rabbit" start and stop. I see these young kids hammering them to start and stop and they are begging for issues with a Mercedes. They can also be expensive to fix as others have stated.
From your list my input-Lexus or Infinity. Go Certified pre-owned (these cars really have been gone through and looked at closely). Good Luck. Acura a few years old might be something to look at also.

BrianM
02-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Go with the Infinity. Going to give you by far the most sporting bang for the buck. I know quite a few people with the G30 and 35 and all of them are extremely happy. If you go with the Lexus IS stay away from the 250 as it is quite a dog. The 350 is a much better performing car but still nowhere close to the infinity. I would stay far away from the Jag and Benz had QC issues for quite a while which are just now starting to sort themselves out.

03 35th Anniversary
02-07-2009, 01:27 PM

What no Dodge Challenger???

Ryan
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I'll second Brian's comments. I love my G35. I prefer them over the IS for space and integral feel (manual trans compared),although I was behind a white IS F that I'd trade for in a second. You can pick up the 07+ G35 on ebay for 22k and 12kmi. The E class is a whole other ball game - bigger and cushy - and is a great car if you buy certified. If you can handle the styling take a look at the Caddy CTS.

shepherd
02-07-2009, 08:07 PM
What no Dodge Challenger???

Challenger was out of our price range.
I got to choose the truck. So she gets to choose the car. :cool:

shepherd
02-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I'll second Brian's comments. I love my G35. I prefer them over the IS for space and integral feel (manual trans compared),although I was behind a white IS F that I'd trade for in a second. You can pick up the 07+ G35 on ebay for 22k and 12kmi. The E class is a whole other ball game - bigger and cushy - and is a great car if you buy certified. If you can handle the styling take a look at the Caddy CTS.

Well, that's a relief, because shortly after starting this thread we decided to go shopping. We ended up buying an '06 Infiniti M35. It's a little bigger and more luxurious than the G35. We test drove both, and the G35 was a rocket! That thing was fast. :headbang: The M35 had the same engine but since it was bigger and heavier it wasn't quite as fast but still respectable. In the end we (my wife) decided to go for luxury over performance.

We also test drove an '05 Mercedes E500. That thing had some serious muscle too. It was a lot faster than my old '96 Impala SS. But it was showing a bit too much wear and tear and the price was too high for us.

Anyways, thanks for the input guys! Momma seems very happy with her Valentines Day gift. :)

JKTX21
02-08-2009, 12:43 PM

Lexus IS 250 or 350
Mercedes E Class
Infiniti G35 Sedan
Jaguar X-Type

Seeing how I work for Lexus, I'll say go with that! In all seriousness, they make really good vehicles. If you are in that price range, you could probably find a CPO 2006 GS 300, those things are awesome (and a little bigger than the IS). Send me a PM if you need to know the skinny on anything about either of these models.

My 1000th post!!!!!