PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Site Q's

corey
02-06-2009, 06:45 PM
So lets say you are the average Joe and you are checking out your local dealers website. Would you rather see

1. Actual pictures of the boat in stock, assuming dealer is not a professional photographer.
http://www.waterskis.com/2009-MasterCraft-ProStar-197-Slalom-Ski-Boat-p/2009%20mastercraft%20prostar%20197%20w.htm

2. Stock photos of the same model taken by professional photographer.
http://www.waterskis.com/2009-MasterCraft-X-2-V-Drive-Wakeboard-Boat-p/2009%20mastercraft%20x-2%20blkred.htm

I ask because we are thinking of using one of these formats and would like some real world input.

Thanks,

Corey

cbryan70
02-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I like the real picture....thats just me

ttu
02-06-2009, 06:47 PM
the real pic of the boat you have in stock.

east tx skier
02-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Actual pictures. And prices with the pre-owned stock.

bobx1
02-06-2009, 06:52 PM
I want real pictures - drives me nuts to see the stock photos and most of the time the stock photos are completely different color schemes.

corey
02-06-2009, 06:57 PM
So you're saying you want real photos?

JK, glad to hear it. That is the way we are heading, it will take a while to convert everything over which is why we wanted a little input first.

ski_king
02-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I like the real pictures also.

But I have to admit, this stock photo kept my attention for a long, long time.
http://www.waterskis.com/v/vspfiles/photos/2008%20MASTERCRAFT%20X-2-3T.jpg?0.48612334492466763

JohnE
02-06-2009, 07:13 PM
REAL PIC'S.

May as well not have any pictures rather than have the stock professional photos. That's what the MC site is for.....

sethro
02-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Actually Corey I think they are saying they want real pics. :D

Sorry, but add another vote for actual pic of the boat for sale.

scott023
02-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Corey, my vote is for REAL pictures. As previously stated, the stock photos are garbage, the true colors are not shown. If I wanted to look at stock pictures I could go to the website and build my own... hopefully other dealers will follow your lead. :D

ejg333
02-06-2009, 07:59 PM
1 more for real pictures!

mccobmd
02-06-2009, 08:05 PM
When I was shopping (wait I'm always shopping) for a new boat I never looked at ads pre owned or new that didn't have picture of the actual boat being sold.

Jim@BAWS
02-06-2009, 09:04 PM

http://www.waterskis.com/v/vspfiles/photos/2008%20MASTERCRAFT%20X-2-3T.jpg?0.48612334492466763

a) Stock photo?
b) Photo that is stocked
c) Pro ballast option
d) All of the above

Jim@BAWS

SunCoast 83
02-06-2009, 09:10 PM

Mine too......Happy, Happy, Happy Times:) :) :)

JohnE
02-06-2009, 09:13 PM
So given this response, why do so many dealers go with stock photo's? Lazy or is this news to them?

SchuyHigh
02-06-2009, 09:17 PM
These guys don't know what they are talking about..... the real photos is where its at!

dapicatti
02-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Real photos, if I want to see a stock photo I can see it on the MC website.

Witness140
02-06-2009, 10:45 PM
I prefer real photos. As many as possible. It doesn't take rocket science to take a good digital photo these days. If all you can manage is a fuzzy one, that reflects on you, sorry.

Having bought 3 of these things in 2 years, and looked at tons of online ads and been to many dealer websites, here's a list of things I see everyday that drive me absolutely crazy.

1. CALL FOR PRICE

2. Stock Photos

3. Copy pastes of Mastercraft boat descriptions. If I read "jack of all trades" one more time....

4. Putting down MSRP as a price. Both useless AND misleading.

5. Actual photos taken by someone that can't use a camera. Sorry, but you want to sell a 65K skiboat, you are gonna have to take the 10 minutes to take a nice picture.

6. Incomplete options lists.

7. Listing standard equipment as an option. Sorry guys, telling me that an X2 comes with ballast, stainless rub rail, and pop-up cleats just to make the ad sound better, is cheezy.

8. Listing 3 standard items after "MCX" and then saying "and much more" followed by previously mentioned stock MC description about butter or jack of all trades.

9. With pre-owned inventory, not listing engine hours - or - listing a ridiculously inaccurate number.

10. Using the stock MC website form with the form boxes to the right - you know - the one that says "have a trade in?" When in reality it is a consignment boat or your dealership won't take trades right now anyways.

11. Having 29 boats in your "current inventory" listing, and having the SOLD or SALE PENDING next to 23 of them, and then leaving boats that sold 9 months ago up there.

12. Listing an email to inquire, and not responding to that email. If you want to sell a boat on the internet, learn to hit respond.

JohnE
02-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I prefer real photos. As many as possible. It doesn't take rocket science to take a good digital photo these days. If all you can manage is a fuzzy one, that reflects on you, sorry.

Having bought 3 of these things in 2 years, and looked at tons of online ads and been to many dealer websites, here's a list of things I see everyday that drive me absolutely crazy.

1. CALL FOR PRICE

2. Stock Photos

3. Copy pastes of Mastercraft boat descriptions. If I read "jack of all trades" one more time....

5. Actual photos taken by someone that can't use a camera. Sorry, but you want to sell a 65K skiboat, you are gonna have to take the 10 minutes to take a nice picture.

6. Incomplete options lists.

7. Listing standard equipment as an option. Sorry guys, telling me that an X2 comes with ballast, stainless rub rail, and pop-up cleats just to make the ad sound better, is cheezy.

8. Listing 3 standard items after "MCX" and then saying "and much more" followed by previously mentioned stock MC description about butter or jack of all trades.

9. With pre-owned inventory, not listing engine hours - or - listing a ridiculously inaccurate number.

10. Using the stock MC website form with the form boxes to the right - you know - the one that says "have a trade in?" When in reality it is a consignment boat or your dealership won't take trades right now anyways.

11. Having 29 boats in your "current inventory" listing, and having the SOLD or SALE PENDING next to 23 of them, and then leaving boats that sold 9 months ago up there.

12. Listing an email to inquire, and not responding to that email. If you want to sell a boat on the internet, learn to hit respond.

Sounds like you have a little first hand knowledge of the buying experience. You should pass that on to someone at MC.;):D

brucemac
02-06-2009, 11:13 PM
lol ski king

witness nailed it.

real photos please. i'm no dealer, but my experience selling anything used, cars, boats, etc. the better the pictures and the more details and up front you are, the more interest and the quicker the sale.

you could maybe make a case for less pics on a new/current year boats, but still. people want to see it and get excited about it before they commit to come down and see it in person and isn't that what it's really all about?

kinda like you know in 10 secs if you can move a trade or not after seeing it. :)

there's a buyer for everything, you just have to find them imo

east tx skier
02-06-2009, 11:25 PM

They're hamstrung by the dealer agreement on this one. All you will see on a new boat at any MC dealer is MSRP unless something as changed.

JohnE
02-06-2009, 11:28 PM
They're hamstrung by the dealer agreement on this one. All you will see on a new boat at any MC dealer is MSRP unless something as changed.

Or you get "call for pricing"......

Granted a dealer can't do anything that violates their agreement with MC. But I bet the state of the buying market eliminates some dealers.

Witness140
02-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Just like they are hamstrung on territory rules. It is 2009. The dark ages are over. Welcome to the new millenium.

JohnE
02-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Just like they are hamstrung on territory rules. It is 2009. The dark ages are over. Welcome to the new millenium.

There are territorial rules?:confused:

east tx skier
02-07-2009, 12:27 AM

I've never shopped for a new boat, so that's not really one that bothers me.

JohnE
02-07-2009, 12:30 AM
I've never shopped for a new boat, so that's not really one that bothers me.

I heard somewhere that new botes suck.;)

Justjoe
02-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Holy CRAP ...her....the....oh my GOD, I've never seen that picture before and seriously I've got to ask, why don't I have the drop in cup holders in my table??

Jeez she has nice bumpers!

Jim@BAWS
02-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I'll ask for constructive criticism here

Every boat we have new or used is on here/ w/ REAL photos

Be open about it...

Ny the way I do not list MSRP on NEW ones.

Thanks fot the input

Jim@BAWS

www.bayareawatersports.com

east tx skier
02-07-2009, 10:18 AM

[B]y the way I do not list MSRP on NEW ones.

Thanks fot the input

Jim@BAWS

www.bayareawatersports.com

Jim, I see you have a price listed for two of the boats in the "new" section---a CSX and a 2007 something or other. If that is not MSRP, are dealers permitted to list lower these days?

I think the site looks very good. Descriptions are good as well with hours and anything interesting about the boat. Lots of pictures, too (except for one of the 06's that caught my eye) ;).

Nice work on the site!

TMCNo1
02-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I vote for pictures of actual boats in stock!

03 35th Anniversary
02-07-2009, 04:54 PM
When I was looking for a boat I got to where I wouldn't even look at an ad without picture or MC stock pictures.

Probably over looked alot of good boats doing that. But there was so many ads with actual pictures that kept my attention.

Another thing I hate is when all they have is computer generated image from design-a-boat, I understand this in the case that the boat is on order and the dealer is waiting delivery.

Witness140
02-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Another thing I hate is when all they have is computer generated image from design-a-boat, I understand this in the case that the boat is on order and the dealer is waiting delivery.

Agreed.

I understand that too.....maybe when the boat arrives it can be updated or something.

Witness140
02-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Every boat we have new or used is on here/ w/ REAL photos

Be open about it...

Ny the way I do not list MSRP on NEW ones.

Thanks fot the input

Jim,

Overall your site is nice. I like the hi -rez images. I was just checking out the 40th anniversary X-Star as an example.

You need complete options lists. "LOADED" means nothing to an internet shopper. Having to hope for pictures that are good enough to see if it has a heater, the heated seat switch, Perfect Pass, etc etc gets old. Doesn't take much to list a boat's options.

The "standard features" list certainly is expansive, but not impressive. It would take 2 minutes to type out the full options.

With the 07' Photo-shoot X2 for example, I have no idea based on that ad's text what the boat has in it. I can quote you the length of the trailer and how much it weighs though. Useless info really. Standard features too - thats all fill material. The meat of an ad is the price, the pictures, and the real equipment list. That is what sells a boat and gets me to call. I'm going to compare it to other stuff out there first, and the goal of that ad is to get someone to determine that boat is the one they want to call on. Our time is valuable, and some of us don't have the time or patience to call 5 boat dealers about mystery boats. Tangible data that can be compared is important.

I also look at a dealer's overall site. I actually click on service, promotions, etc. Why not update that stuff? Service info for 2007 isn't a tangible. "coming soon" or "under construction" also isn't helpful. Why have the template if it isn't taken advantage of?

I would say though that your site is more impressive than a lot of others, as is your inventory.