PDA

View Full Version : Wego Kite Tube Repair

CODY_YARBER07
02-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I bought a Sportsstuff Wego Kite Tube before they were recalled and enjoyed it quite a bit. Sportsstuff offered over $1000 in tubes (shipped right to my door) if I cut the valve out of the Kite Tube and cut the thing you tie the tow rope to and sent it in. So I sent the valve and other pieces in to the company and kept the tube. It's still sitting in my garage and I was thinking about bringing it back to life. There has to be some way to get another valve and attach it. Anyone have any ideas?

JohnE
02-06-2009, 09:11 AM
:popcorn:....................................

TMCNo1
02-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Maybe you would want to go ahead and post in your signature, the address of your nearest hospital and funeral home so we'll have a place to sent flowers!:rolleyes:

Toober Tom may have some parts on the shelf you can use!

JohnE
02-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Maybe you would want to go ahead and post in your signature, the address of your nearest hospital and funeral home so we'll have a place to sent flowers!:rolleyes:

Toober Tom may have some parts on the shelf you can use!

I don't really worry about him hurting himself. It's the poor unknowing person that he takes up in it that I would worry about.

Monte
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I'd say get an old tractor trailer inner tube cut the valve stem off and try to melt or glue it in.. Toober tom would be a great person to explain this process

bigmac
02-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I bought a Sportsstuff Wego Kite Tube before they were recalled and enjoyed it quite a bit. Sportsstuff offered over $1000 in tubes (shipped right to my door) if I cut the valve out of the Kite Tube and cut the thing you tie the tow rope to and sent it in. So I sent the valve and other pieces in to the company and kept the tube. It's still sitting in my garage and I was thinking about bringing it back to life. There has to be some way to get another valve and attach it. Anyone have any ideas?

I'd go try to find any old SportsStuff tubes, cut the valve out with a wide margin and re-glue. Maybe you can find that on ebay - IIRC, you'll need two valves?

Sodar
02-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Take the tube to any inflatable boat dealer. They will be able to put a new valve and sew in some new webbing to attach the rope to.

They just heat welded some seems on my tube that had failed.

P.S.- Please buy my tube (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=520709&postcount=37) before Super Mod deletes my ad!

SkiDog
02-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Why not just find a big sledge hammer and start beating your head with it? Different way to get there, same result!:cool:

TMCNo1
02-06-2009, 09:40 AM
If you can find the parts, here's the stuff to use to attach and make repairs,
https://www.mightymendit.com (https://www.mightymendit.com/flare/next?tag=os%7Csm%7Cyh&OVRAW=billy%20mays%20mighty%20mend%20it&OVKEY=as%20seen%20on%20tv%20mighty%20mendit&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=11608561521&OVKWID=121894209521)

beef
02-06-2009, 10:11 AM
The valve will be the easy part. Not sure how you will attach a strong enough replacement tow point.

I had one too - cut it up per their instructions and hung one of the skulls in my garage as a reminder to be happy that I'm alive. :)

TMCNo1
02-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Plan B,

CODY_YARBER07
02-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I know that most people hate the idea of this tube because so many people got hurt or killed in but all of the videos that I watched where people got hurt, the boat was going 50+ mph and the manual says not to go over 20mph. The whole time I had it we never got over 3 or 4 feet of air mainly because I didn't want to run my boat as hard as it took to get it to fly not to mention that I didn't want to die but it was really fun. I think that anyone with a brain knows not to pull anyone on ANYTHING at 50+ mph.

TMCNo1
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I know that most people hate the idea of this tube because so many people got hurt or killed in but all of the videos that I watched where people got hurt, the boat was going 50+ mph and the manual says not to go over 20mph. The whole time I had it we never got over 3 or 4 feet of air mainly because I didn't want to run my boat as hard as it took to get it to fly not to mention that I didn't want to die but it was really fun. I think that anyone with a brain knows not to pull anyone on ANYTHING at 50+ mph.

Tells me there are brainless people out on the water, I'm just sayin'!

JohnE
02-06-2009, 11:26 AM

I don't know anything about them personally. But there were some threads on here a year or 2 ago and some poster(s) who owned them told some scary stories....

CODY_YARBER07
02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah..they definitely are brainless people on the lake. Like I said, if you pull anything (wakeboard, kneeboard, tube, skis..) at 50+ mph there is a good chance you will get hurt. I just dont want to get flamed for bringing the Wego back to life.

SkiDog
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah..they definitely are brainless people on the lake. Like I said, if you pull anything (wakeboard, kneeboard, tube, skis..) at 50+ mph there is a good chance you will get hurt. I just dont want to get flamed for bringing the Wego back to life.Then Don't do it! Be safe!

beef
02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
I hear ya. I seriously considered keeping mine. It was a blast.

Even at lower speeds, though, it had an annoying habit of shooting uncontrollably into the air and then flipping over, pancaking the rider into the drink. I eventually got to be able to recognize the change in attitude of the tube and could usually shut down before someone got pummeled into the lake bottom. (mebbe I should become a professional tube driver)

In the end though, I couldn't take the responsibility for allowing our kids and others to get on the thing. We used it less and less, eventually doing the recall trade-in.

chudson
02-06-2009, 12:07 PM
There will be a "vintage" category for them on ebay someday, don't ya think!!!

bigmac
02-06-2009, 12:09 PM
The valve's are cut out of the tube, the tow point is cut from the cover. Putting another attachment point on it ought to be done pretty easily by any commercial sewing company - probably the same ones that make boat covers.

The kite tube indeed can be dangerous, and especially so in the wrong hands. I enjoyed mine a lot, but succumbed to the multi-tube exchange deal.

Monte
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I simply would not want to be responsible for somebody else's injury or worse. By beef's description it sounds like a ticking time bomb. When you take control out of the equaision it just becomes dangerous. By allowing someone on a tested failure you have become negligent and liable. (IE) if you do get somebody hurt or killed as a result of its use, You will lose the lawsuit. Yes you may have insurance coverage defense. But the policy has limits. If the judgement exceeds those limits it is your assets and or wages the courts can take from you. I would really reconsider. Not flaming just throwing the truth out there as I know it.
It would make for a great conversation piece hanging on the wall though..

CODY_YARBER07
02-06-2009, 12:20 PM
On a lighter note, how about someone just buys these JL tower speakers that I really need to sell!

Toober Tom
02-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Toober Tom does not recommend the use of the WEGO KITE TUBE
http://mikeandmandy.us/uploads/Kite_Tube.jpg

I only use and recommend the type shown below.

TMCNo1
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Toober Tom does not recommend the use of the WEGO KITE TUBE
http://mikeandmandy.us/uploads/Kite_Tube.jpg

I only use and recommend the type shown below.

They appear to be them big old heavy duty tubes for all those industrial strength ladies you hang with!
That's just plum sweet of ya, you da man!

bobx1
02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Whatever you do, make sure whomever gets on that thing signs a hold harmless agreement (even though a good attorney will have it thrown out). I can hear it now:

Did you receive a letter saying not to use it?

Did you then cut the valve and tow point and apply for, then receive a refund and/or items in exchange?

Did you then, knowing that you were told not to use it AND after receiving your money back (or equivalent), go to a third party and have it repaired and start using it again?

TallRedRider
02-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Whatever you do, make sure whomever gets on that thing signs a hold harmless agreement (even though a good attorney will have it thrown out). I can hear it now:

Did you receive a letter saying not to use it?

Did you then cut the valve and tow point and apply for, then receive a refund and/or items in exchange?

Did you then, knowing that you were told not to use it AND after receiving your money back (or equivalent), go to a third party and have it repaired and start using it again?

You might as well sign a blank check and hand it over if someone gets hurt on one of those.

And I think this thread is a cover up for the real agenda of putting a classified ad in the general discussion.

CODY_YARBER07
02-06-2009, 05:33 PM
You might as well sign a blank check and hand it over if someone gets hurt on one of those.

And I think this thread is a cover up for the real agenda of putting a classified ad in the general discussion.

I'm definitely not trying to sell it but I did receive a private message from someone trying to sell me theirs..haha

I can tell that everyone here thinks this thing is extremely dangerous even at low speeds but I really enjoyed it. Like I said, we never went over 20-25mph and it never went more than 3 or 4 feet in the air. I'm not gonna argue that it's safe because what watersport really is safe? I know it's fun and I haven't died on it yet. I was wakeboarding last season and hit my friends x-star wake too quick and went a helluva lot higher than the kite tube ever did. Thanks for the repair info though everyone.

Gonzo
02-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Take the tube to any inflatable boat dealer. They will be able to put a new valve and sew in some new webbing to attach the rope to.

They just heat welded some seems on my tube that had failed.

P.S.- Please buy my tube (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=520709&postcount=37) before Super Mod deletes my ad!

I keep telling you your one rooster tail and $199.99 away from a sale!

mccobmd
02-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Maybe try standing on the top of the tower going full speed and jump straight up holding the tube would be another way to recreate the feeling.

brucemac
02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
lol.......

Sodar
02-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I keep telling you your one rooster tail and $199.99 away from a sale!

So you want the tube for $199.99 more once I add a new rooster tail?

Gonzo
02-06-2009, 08:23 PM
So you want the tube for $199.99 more once I add a new rooster tail?

lol................