PDA

View Full Version : Satellite antenna

DLewis
05-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Trying to determine good location for a satellite (XM) antenna. Instructions are for an automobile - and they outline not to mount it on a dashboard. Anyone had experience mounting a satellite antenna under the drivers helm?

LakePirate
05-13-2005, 03:14 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that the reasoning for mounting it somewhere other than the dash is because of interference in the signal. I had one mounted on the dash and it cut out more often. However, on a lake there are no obstruscions to block the satellite signal.

Cloaked
05-14-2005, 10:04 PM
You can mount it anywhere that is open to sky. I'd not mount it underneath anything. That antenna is so small, I'd mount it on the dash somewhere and be done with it. I luVs my XM...

Farmer Ted
05-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Line of sight, might be OK on your dash. Play with it and see where it works best

flyinryn
05-19-2005, 02:37 AM
What I have heard is that satellite signals will not go through two types of material 1st is concrete and the 2nd metal. I have my located under my dash cluster in the boat and have not problem getting signal. I also have one located in my Jeep Wrangler under the Hard Top on top of the role cage. Have had it in this location for more than three years.
So you should also have no problem with this locations to.

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 06:53 AM
I don't see any problem putting it under your dash. I design and test antennas for satellites for a living so this is one thing I know about. :D We usually use fiberglass-type materials for radomes, so in a boat you shouldn't have any problem. Now I'm not sure how much receive gain one of them has, so I would try a temporary mount first just to make sure. I would also keep away from the dash so that it only has a layer of fiberglass in front of it.

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Although if flyinryn says that he's not having any trouble with it under the dash cluster then you should be fine.

H2OGirl
05-19-2005, 08:14 AM
This is where my husband mounted our XM, I don't think it looks too bad on the dash. The wires are run under the dash.

wesgardner
05-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey All,

Slightly off-topic, I recently upgraded my stereo, the orginal had the AM/FM antenna plugged into a MasterCraft inspired plug (original to the boat) that seems to lead to ground???***??!!.

I plugged the new stereo into this and get nada...well maybe some weak, weak stuff WAY in the background...so I can... 1) buy a cheap car antenna and lay it sideways somewhere (this is what I used to do on sailboats when installing sound/nav. equipment) or 2) any other recommendations?

Wes

DLewis
05-19-2005, 03:34 PM
H20girl -

The antenna I have looks similar to the one on your boat. Does it have a metal base?

Jsonova99/flyinryn -

Thanks for the information -

Has anyone tried the marine version antenna ($100)?

flyinryn
05-19-2005, 04:17 PM
i have one that looks simular. It is a little bit bigger.

I will say one thing about the Marine antenna. It looks really cute on the webpage, nice and small then you see it in person and it is the size of a coke can.

well that is what it look like a year ago.

Ric
05-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Ok I did have the marine sirius antenna from terk and it was obtrusive
dealer mounted it under the glove box and it didn't pick up consistently out in the lake
mine has a tower and I felt that may be part of the problem
terk's manual specifically says not to mount it to tubing structure and not to mount it horizontally, so the tower is out as an option and horizontally under the gunwale is out as an option too.
I'm thinking of using a regular automobile sattelite puck like some have done here for XM
Will it work on sirius?
boat's not back yet, so I can't play with it but the stereo installer assured me that we could mount the terk inside the storage area and it'd still pick up fine
(my xm in my truck fails when under a carport)