PDA

View Full Version : Kiffin the "NEW" Spurrier???

trickskier
02-06-2009, 07:41 AM
UT coach reprimanded for Urban Meyer smear

Lane Kiffin erroneously accused Meyer of cheating; UF demands apology.

Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin has been reprimanded by the Southeastern Conference office for publicly and erroneously accusing Florida coach Urban Meyer of a recruiting violation.

SEC Commissioner Mike Slive criticized Kiffin’s lack of knowledge of recruiting rules and said Kiffin violated the SEC’s Code of Ethics when Kiffin said Thursday morning that Meyer “cheated” by phoning Pahokee High School receiver Nu’Keese Richardson when Richardson was on an official visit to Tennessee last weekend.

“SEC Bylaw 10.5.1 clearly states that coaches and administrators shall refrain from directed public criticism of other member institutions, their staffs or players,” Slive’s statement read. “The phone call to which Coach Kiffin referred to in his public comments is not a violation of SEC or NCAA rules. We expect our coaches to have an understanding and knowledge of conference and NCAA rules.”

UF athletic director Jeremy Foley earlier in the day demanded that Kiffin, who was hired Dec. 1 to replace Phillip Fulmer, offer a publicly apology for saying Meyer cheated.

“There was no rule violation and we have confirmed this with [the] Southeastern Conference," Foley said in his statement. "It is obvious that Coach Kiffin doesn’t know that there is not a rule precluding phone contact with a prospect during an official visit on another campus during a contact period. His allegations are inappropriate, out of line and, most importantly, totally false. It is completely unfair to Urban Meyer, our coaching staff, our football program and our institution. The appropriate action at this time in my opinion is for Coach Kiffin to make a public apology. His comments not only slandered our coach, but he violated SEC rules by publicly criticizing another coach and institution."

Jamie McCloskey, UF’s senior associate athletic director for compliance, said UF officials learned of Kiffin’s allegations early Thursday afternoon and immediately contacted the SEC office. McCloskey said NCAA Bylaw 13.1.3.1.1, which covers telephone contact, clears Meyer of any wrongdoing.

“Urban Meyer takes pride in the fact of doing things within the rules,” McCloskey said. “He believes in working hard and out-working people, but he believes in following the rules. He also expects other people to follow the rules.

“. . . For someone to call him out – wow.”

McCloskey also said the SEC has a chain-of-command policy for reporting potential rules violations. The proper procedure is for a coach to notify his athletic director, who in turn would notify the league office.

Meyer was out of state on Thursday and was unable to be reached for comment.

Kiffin was traveling Thursday afternoon and Tennessee spokesman Bud Ford said he was not sure if the Vols would have a response to Foley’s statement. Kiffin is scheduled to speak at a UT fan function in Memphis, Tenn., later Thursday night.

Kiffin made the accusation during a recruiting celebration banquet at the Knoxville Convention Center. In a video clip of Kiffin’s speech posted on VolunteerTV.com, Kiffin said that Richardson's cell phone rang numerous times during the visit and Richardson said it was Meyer calling.

“This is a recruiting violation and I’m going to turn Florida in right here in front of you, but as Nu’Keese was here on campus his phone keeps ringing. And so one of our coaches is sitting in a meeting with him [and] he says, ‘Who’s that?’ He [Richardson] looks at the phone and says, ‘Urban Myer,’” Kiffin says in the clip. “Just so you know, when a recruit’s on another campus you can’t call the recruit . . . but I love the fact that Urban had to cheat and still didn't get him.”

Richardson was a Florida commitment when he visited UT. He switched his commitment that weekend but still said publicly he was going to Florida. Richardson signed a letter-of-intent with Tennessee on Wednesday.

This is the second time that Kiffin has shown to be unfamiliar with recruiting rules. According to the Knoxville News Sentinel newspaper web site, Tennessee reported a potential secondary violation late last month for simulating a game experience for recruits on an official visit.

According to the article, coaches used smoke machines as the recruits entered Neyland Stadium. UT doesn’t use special effects when the players enter the stadium on game day, but the school reported the incident anyway.

TNH2oSkier
02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
So are you saying FL is scared now? J/K

jdl xstar
02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Ever since Kiffin publicly bashed Al Davis and the Raiders org when after he was hired by UT, I had a feeling Kiffin had some problems. Read the article from orlando sentinel columnist, Mike Bianci about this situation..

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bianchi0609feb06,0,910548.column

I have a problem with an inexperienced coach walking into one of the best leagues and making waves like this. He is putting a huge target on his program and you know the other teams will try and run the score up on him to put him in his place. I used to like the guy but after seeing his tactics, I think he is a *****.

ShamrockIV
02-06-2009, 01:55 PM
he is trying to put some attitude back into the VOLS.

i just heard Jim Rome say he is playing prison rules. U know shanking the baddest dude ont he first day just so nobody messes with u.

ask mark richt how well provoking urban and the gateors works lol

VOLFAN
02-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah I just heard Rome too. He gets on my nerves I can not stand to listen to him long!

Kiffin was just trying to fire up the crowd... He is still a little wet behind the ears and should know the rules inside out and be a little more wise on who he chooses to talk about.

It is funny to me that the kid had commited to the gators an Myer was calling him while he was visiting UT and ended up signing with UT after it was said and done.

I am a big UT fan, but it would be hard to pass up the Florida Gators right now if I was in the kids spot.

jdl xstar
02-06-2009, 03:44 PM
It is funny to me that the kid had commited to the gators an Myer was calling him while he was visiting UT and ended up signing with UT after it was said and done.

No, thats the thing, Kiffin made up the whole Meyer calling the kid during the visit. That's why Kiffin had to apologize to UF. He made the whole thing up.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,910548.column

trickskier
02-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Kiffin apologizes.................8p

Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin has been reprimanded by the Southeastern Conference office for publicly and erroneously accusing Florida coach Urban Meyer of a recruiting violation.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive criticized Kiffin's lack of knowledge of recruiting rules and said the Volunteers coach violated the SEC's code of ethics when he said Thursday that Meyer cheated by phoning Nu'Keese Richardson when the Pahokee High wide receiver was on an official visit to Tennessee last weekend.

"SEC bylaw 10.5.1 clearly states that coaches and administrators shall refrain from directed public criticism of other member institutions, their staffs or players," Slive said in a statement. "The phone call to which coach Kiffin referred to in his public comments is not a violation of SEC or NCAA rules. We expect our coaches to have an understanding and knowledge of conference and NCAA rules."

Earlier Thursday, Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley demanded that Kiffin, who was hired Dec. 1 to replace Phillip Fulmer, offer a publicly apology to Meyer.

"There was no rule violation and we have confirmed this with [the] Southeastern Conference," Foley said. "It is obvious that coach Kiffin doesn't know that there is not a rule precluding phone contact with a prospect during an official visit on another campus during a contact period. His allegations are inappropriate, out of line and, most importantly, totally false. It is completely unfair to Urban Meyer, our coaching staff, our football program and our institution. The appropriate action at this time, in my opinion, is for coach Kiffin to make a public apology. His comments not only slandered our coach, but he violated SEC rules by publicly criticizing another coach and institution."

Kiffin apologized Thursday afternoon, saying he was trying to excite the crowd of donors and alumni.

"I've been made aware by the Southeastern Conference that my comments this morning at a breakfast with our donors violated a conference policy," Kiffin said in a statement. "In my enthusiasm for our recruiting class, I made some statements that were meant solely to excite those at the breakfast.

"I apologize to commissioner Mike Slive and the SEC, including Florida AD Jeremy Foley and coach Urban Meyer. My comments were not intended to offend anyone at the University of Florida." :confused::confused::confused:

Jamie McCloskey, UF's senior associate athletic director for compliance, said UF officials learned of Kiffin's allegations early Thursday afternoon and immediately contacted the SEC office. McCloskey said NCAA bylaw 13.1.3.1.1, which covers telephone contact, clears Meyer of any wrongdoing.

"Urban Meyer takes pride in the fact of doing things within the rules," McCloskey said.

McCloskey said the SEC has a chain-of-command policy for reporting potential rules violations. The proper procedure is for a coach to notify his athletic director, who in turn would notify the league office.

Meyer was out of the state Thursday and could not be reached for comment.

Kiffin made the accusation during a recruiting celebration banquet at the Knoxville Convention Center. In a video clip of Kiffin's speech posted on VolunteerTV.com, Kiffin said that Richardson's cell phone rang numerous times during the visit, and Richardson said it was Meyer calling.

"This is a recruiting violation, and I'm going to turn Florida in right here in front of you, but as Nu'Keese was here on campus, his phone keeps ringing. And so one of our coaches is sitting in a meeting with him [and] he says, 'Who's that?' He [Richardson] looks at the phone and says, 'Urban Meyer,' " Kiffin said in the clip. "Just so you know, when a recruit's on another campus, you can't call the recruit ... but I love the fact that Urban had to cheat and still didn't get him."

Richardson, who was a Florida commitment when he visited UT, signed with Tennessee on Wednesday.

This is the second time that Kiffin has been shown to be unfamiliar with recruiting rules. According to the Knoxville News Sentinel newspaper Web site, Tennessee reported a potential secondary violation last month for simulating a game experience for recruits on an official visit. According to the site, coaches used smoke machines as the recruits entered Neyland Stadium. UT doesn't use special effects when the players enter the stadium on game day, but the school reported the incident anyway.