PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard Suggestions

BriEOD
02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I realize this is a recurring thread. However, subsequent to a review of the archived threads, I couldn't find anything that specifically fit my search. So, bare with me...

I'm looking to upgrade my board. I've been riding an older Hyperlite (138cm I think) with Hyperlite Spin bindings. I'm a beginner to intermediate rider. I can ride switchfoot, wake-to-wake both sides, and do a few other minor tricks. I'm about 5'10 and 180 lbs and size 10 shoe. I ride behind a 00 205 DD with tower and some ballast.

I'm curious what opinions are of the closed toe bindings (i.e. Hyperlite Murrays) vs. the open toe. I've been in an open toe binding but tire of my feet shifting upon landing.

I'm not opposed to a former years model and I'm not looking to break the bank. But, I feel like my old board (has to be a 2001 or 2002) has taken me about as far as it can.

Thx ahead of time.

KnoxX2
02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Check out the CWB Pure. I made the move from Hyperlite last year. Big diffrence. The CWB has a spine that makes the Ride awsome and landings very forgiving. I also am about the same, switch, wake-2-wake and few minor tricks.

east tx skier
02-05-2009, 08:58 PM
I realize this is a recurring thread. However, subsequent to a review of the archived threads, I couldn't find anything that specifically fit my search. So, bare with me...

I'm looking to upgrade my board. I've been riding an older Hyperlite (138cm I think) with Hyperlite Spin bindings. I'm a beginner to intermediate rider. I can ride switchfoot, wake-to-wake both sides, and do a few other minor tricks. I'm about 5'10 and 180 lbs and size 10 shoe. I ride behind a 00 205 DD with tower and some ballast.

I'm curious what opinions are of the closed toe bindings (i.e. Hyperlite Murrays) vs. the open toe. I've been in an open toe binding but tire of my feet shifting upon landing.

I'm not opposed to a former years model and I'm not looking to break the bank. But, I feel like my old board (has to be a 2001 or 2002) has taken me about as far as it can.

Thx ahead of time.

We've got an obrien from academy. We upgraded from the sandal bindings at some point. You want it. ;)

russlars
02-05-2009, 10:10 PM
I would check out the Hyperlite "State". We picked one up last year and everyone that has rode it has loved it and been able to make improvements in their skills.

Big Dogg
02-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I used to be a tried and true CWB owner, and I am of intermediate skill level. I switched to a Slingshot Recoil with Closed toed Driver bindings (high boot). Its a flex board, and it is absolutely amazing what flex can do for any rider. I have since quite riding my CWB. The board intially is a new feeling for riding, but once you get the feel you wont switch back. Absolutely amazing board. Look into it.

I have my 2007 Slingshot Recoil for sale for 275 with the Driver closed toed bindings (buyer pays shipping). Only rode 1 season, orginally bought in Febuary of 2008 as a year end close out. Board is in perfect shape with only some tiny scratches where it sits in the board rack. That same set up is still available on internet wakeboard sites for 375-400. If you would like pictures, I can attach some or email you. Feel free to contact me if anyone is interested. Only reason for selling is I want to upgrade to the 2009 Slingshot Recoil. I love the board

vision
02-06-2009, 09:13 AM
You will receive lots of recommendations on this one. I would look at the LF Witness or if you want more pop, the Watson. If you want to go a lot bigger and do not mind a fast board, the Lyman is a great board. The CWB Absolute and Transcend are great, very ridable boards as well.

But, upgrading your bindings to newer models will likely do more for your riding pleasure than even changing your board. So make sure to get newer bindings for your newer board.

BriEOD
02-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

I definitely think I want closed toe bindings. I want a board that is really going to put me up in the air. I cut pretty hard. I don't have to much experience with other boards. I've been on a few Hyperlites.

BriEOD
02-06-2009, 06:10 PM
We've got an obrien from academy. We upgraded from the sandal bindings at some point. You want it. ;)

I've got a monkey bar wakeboard tower I will trade you straight up for. ;)

BriEOD
02-06-2009, 06:11 PM
I used to be a tried and true CWB owner, and I am of intermediate skill level. I switched to a Slingshot Recoil with Closed toed Driver bindings (high boot). Its a flex board, and it is absolutely amazing what flex can do for any rider. I have since quite riding my CWB. The board intially is a new feeling for riding, but once you get the feel you wont switch back. Absolutely amazing board. Look into it.

I have my 2007 Slingshot Recoil for sale for 275 with the Driver closed toed bindings (buyer pays shipping). Only rode 1 season, orginally bought in Febuary of 2008 as a year end close out. Board is in perfect shape with only some tiny scratches where it sits in the board rack. That same set up is still available on internet wakeboard sites for 375-400. If you would like pictures, I can attach some or email you. Feel free to contact me if anyone is interested. Only reason for selling is I want to upgrade to the 2009 Slingshot Recoil. I love the board
What size are the bindings? Sure, post a photo.

Big Dogg
02-07-2009, 02:38 AM
The board is a 2007 Slingshot Recoil 143, the binding that will be included with the board are heat moldable (put them in the oven at 150, and allow to cool on feet for a custom fit) Driver closed toed bindings in size 11. As I mentioned before, the board was bought in Febuary of 2008 and was only rode for 1 season. It is in great condition, some minor blemishes in the mid area of the board from being in the board racks of the tower. No nicks in the board or tears in the bindings.

Background info on the the setup,
-Future Response Technology - Delivers flex control, rebound, energy and pop. A combination of Acrylic Aerospace Foam with vertically laminated wood stringers and a solid Poplar Wood core base. Elliptical Concave - Smoother edge to edge transition. 3-Stage Rocker - Most aggressive pop. 4-Hole - Superior boot board connection compared to standard 2 hole configurations. Handmade by Slingshot in the USA

- The most impressive feature to me is the ability of the 3 stage rocker and the flex. 3 stage rocker itself is supposed to give you tons of pop off the wake, and my CWB Absolute did this amazingly, however the other advantage to the Slingshot is the flex capability. As you cut into the wave, the board builds pressure/energy and once you hit the wave all of the pressure is release just as it would be from a spring. This board doesnt only give you the additional pop of the 3 stage rocker, but the flex just flings you in the air.

- The bindings as I mention are size 11 "Drivers". This is Slingshots, high/stiff closed toed setup. As part of their design, the are attached to be board by a 4-hole bolt pattern that mounts the middle arch area of the bindings directly to the board. This design allows for the binding to be closer to the board for more transfer of movement of the rider to the board as well as a stiffer more controlled board to binding attachement. Also, my favorite feature, especially if multiple people ride the board, is an "on the fly" pivot attachment. With the flip of a lever on the side of the boot,it allows the boot to rotate to a new, or more comfortable angle for different riders.

The board is also super light weight even with the bindings attached, and also super thin. This gives the board, what I feel to be an increased spinning ability. With the reduced weight, your body can more easily turn this board on a dime.

At this time, I do not have a picture of the board, but I will post multiple by the end of the weekend. (board is light blue on the top, a solid black bottom with the Slingshot logo/sprocket in red, the bindings are matching black and red) I, like most people will not purchase a product without seeing it first. I will get photos posted as soon as possible.

As a side note, the only reason I am selling this board is that I want a new 2009. Slingshot is an amazing brand with an even better ride quality. You will not be disappointed in how these boards perform.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Big Dogg
02-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Attached are pictures of the Slingshot Recoil 142 with Driver highback closed toed bindings. This board is a 2007 model, bought in February of 2008 and only rode 1 season. The board is for sale for $275, with the buyer paying shipping. Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks!

Big Dogg
02-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Make note, the bottom of the board looks as though its faded, however it is not, the bottom is finished in a FLAT BLACK color, while the Slingshot is more of a SEMI GLOSS RED. Makes for a very attractive contrast

Naste Craft
02-10-2009, 02:54 PM
I just picked up the 09 CWB Transcend with Answer boots

wakeX2wake
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
good looking set-up... now go ride it and give the full report

ShamrockIV
02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
i just added a ronix one board to the ronix one boots i rode last year. i love closed toes. just hooked the wife up with ronix coy and botts to match. we love their stuff.

MCRambo1
02-13-2009, 02:42 PM
I am a proud owner of an '08 X-star. I love the boat and performance wise it is lightyears ahead of the X-30 we use to have. Don't get me wrong any MC is a good MC, but you X-Star guys know what i'm talking about. The reason i'm posting is i'm having trouble figuring out the ideal weight to add to it besides the factory ballast. I'm talking like i want wakes that will boot me to the heavens.....any suggestions?

MCRambo1
02-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm also looking into getting some Ronix bindings to add to my quiver this summer. I know they have the inlay that will mold to your foot, is it possible to do that in the oven instead of buying that $150 gadget they show in the brochures?

BriEOD
02-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Big Dogg--thx for the offer, but I think the bindings are going to be to big for me. I'm like a 9.5-10. I wouldn't want to have to pay for shipping both ways.

jasonba1
02-14-2009, 05:33 PM
my opinion for what its worth after riding many many boards, I would go with a LF shane if you want a fast board with soft landings, the LF axis for a good all over board. If you want a flex board the slingshots are alot alot of fun. I currently I am rididng a Shane and a Slingshot just to switch things up from time to time. Since I switched to closed toes I will never go back to open toes. To me they are more responsive. I am using the limited edition shanes, and the D2 slingshot bindings. I keep one board with open toes just for people that come out on the boat and want to ride. It is a roxix vault with divide bindings. Binding I would go with the LF shanes or watson. However I just felt and saw the 09 Ronix ones and I have to say I am very impressed how light they are. If you need some really good deals on LF stuff let me know. the wake shop in Knoxville is running some unbelievable deals.

BriEOD
02-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Thx for the feedback. I appreciate it.

woody
02-14-2009, 07:10 PM
A really quick summary of a natter we had on the jetty today. Open toe - if your feet move on landing badly then you can't cobble your toes, but in winter your toes freeze. Closed toe if th efit isn't spot on you can cobble your toes, but if fit is right you get better response and in winter they are warmer than open toes with laytex socks..... I ride open toes as I'm lazy with the lacing and sometimes my feet move...... Boards wise I loved my old Hyperlite Belmont/Murray but now on a Lf PS3, which is a better board but being 7 years younger it should be although I still miss its continuous rocker.

opne tip would be to find somewhere that demos boards and bindings and ride a bunch, or watch a lot of DVDs find a pro who's style is similar to yours and ride whatever they do....which is kinda what I did. No I'll never compete with Soven but the whole smooth and big, and not forced style fits me.

woody
02-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Just had another thought, given the age of you board is similar to mine was when I upgraded, I let you in on something that scared me.... I upgraded bindings before I got a new board and it seems these days bindings/boots have a deeper softer footbed to absorb landings. So when I put my new high boots on my old skinny board things were odd to say the least. To compensate for this boards these days are wider. So go for a package upgrade either private or shop or bits of both.....