PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft X45 vs. Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV???

PVLP
02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
My family is ready to purchase a new boat here soon, and we've narrowed it down to the X45 and the malibu 247. just wonderin if you guys can give me some feedback about what makes you like either one over the other? thanks!

Sodar
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
You'd best go over to WakeWorld and ask a question like this... you are going to get a very skewed and biased answer here! Wanna guess which boat is better!?!?!?

Good Luck on the purchase!

PVLP
02-05-2009, 06:06 PM
i will do that, i posted an identical question on a malibu site so hopefully ill get both sides to it. haha at the moment we're leanin towards the X45, but ya never know.. thanks!

Big Dogg
02-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Just from past experience, dragging Malibu's wedge through the water, will eat 75 gallons of gas in about a day. That is a very fuel in-efficient wake maker

SkiDog
02-05-2009, 06:27 PM
If ya'll are about to make such a LARGE purchase, my suggestion would be to take the time and visit the factorys and see just how both companies build a boat. After you've done this, I predict we'll be seeing a whole lot more of you on HERE

TallRedRider
02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
I own an X-45 and my closest wakeboarding buddy has a 247...so I think I am qualified to talk here. I have actually spent more time on the 247 as the 45 is new to me.

The 247 is a great boat. The wake is awesome for wakeboarding, probably the best STOCK wake out there. Assuming you get the power wedge. Malibu has a very comfortable style. The surf wake is very good as well, but requires a huge amount of weight to get insane. I hate the Illusion tower. If you are tall, you will too. If you like to put some loud stereo speakers on it, the people in the cockpit will hate you too. You will not ever enjoy a stereo loud enough to be heard by a rider.

The X-45 has a very nice wakeboarding wake, with just stock ballast. Fit and Finish of MC is better, having been inside most every compartment. The vinyl is not quite as soft, but definitley more durable, IMHO. I like a pickle fork. I feel like I can put more people in my boat than my buddy can in his. Kids and women love the bow. It can be surfed very well without a lot of extra weight.

You are in an awesome position. Life must be good if those are the kinds of choices you have to make. It really boils down to your preference...Blonde vs. Brunette ;)

Don't forget to consider dealer support. Every boat has little qwerks and issues. If one dealer is better than another, that would sway me a fair amount.

duckguy
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Go red has pretty much said it all. 45 I would think would retain its value a bit better. x45 on a low pro trailer is a pretty sweet ride.

corey
02-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I spend most of my time in an X-Star and one of my favorite features is the bow which the X-45 shares. The bow is awesome not only for seating and storage but the textured walkway on the nose is really my favorite part. We typically need to pick up and drop off friends throughout the day and it really makes the process quick and easy.

We don't live on the water so I don't use the ladder much but I do like to keep an anchor up under the bow door since the anchors usually pull up some dirt and weeds. (I know you can get them nice and clean but try doing that during a thunder storm!!!)

RiverMC197
02-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I've researched a lot of used boats, and have owned 3 MC's. From what I have seen, MC definitely holds it's value better. I have a 197 and my buddy has a Malibu VTX (both much smaller than your 2 choices), and I spend a lot of time with both. To me MC is like a BMW, where it is is built better than any other and built for performance. The MC has nicer carpet and finishes, and I agree the vinyl is a little more firm. Durability is more important IMO, so that's why I like the MC better. Malibu has a pretty nice interior though too and i look at a Malibu as more of a Benz, where they look as nice, but aren't built as well to perform as a BMW (MC). The JL stereo's in the newer MC's are heads and tails above what any other mfg'er are putting in their boats.

steve mc
02-05-2009, 07:38 PM
i looked at bith ofthose boats my wife liked the malibu i liked the mastercraft it came down to me liking the fit and finish of the mc better i love the removable carpet and how the stoarge is part of the boat

the malibu storage is just screwed the floor and the carpet in not removable also the mc holds more people

thats my 2 cents for whats its worth

scott023
02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
As a yet to be biased X45 owner, I would honestly say the X45 is the better option. Fit, finish and overall build quality are superior in the MC. The 45 we just bought is our first boat, and after touring the MC factory and having a lot of time in on friends Malibu, there was no comparison between the two. Again, I have just become part of the MC family, and the brand loyalty to customers was what sold me on our boat. I was not originally looking at MC because of the price difference (was looking at Malibu and Centurion), but the factory tour was a real eye opener for me. We were told at the beginning of the tour that the most frequently asked question was "why do MasterCrafts cost so much more", we were told to look at the product and compare it to the examples they had there of the competition. Is was not even close, so it was the right thing for us to do, spending the extra cash for a much higher quality boat. As others have stated, if you can tour the factory it will most likely be the determining factor. Good luck with your purchase. :)

ttu
02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
after reading "pvlp's" 2nd post, i went over to the malibu crew to see what they said.

really was not a whole lot posted but there was another thread that was discussing mc's and boy were we getting bashed like crazy. oh well, their opinion.:rolleyes:

i have the baby xstar (x2) and love everything thing about it. and this is coming from a old skier's choice owner.:mad:

Sodar
02-05-2009, 09:09 PM
What is the Bu site?

Chicago190
02-05-2009, 10:29 PM
What about the X35? I think that looks like the coolest boat MC is building these days (not a knock on the 45 at all).

sand2snow22
02-05-2009, 10:55 PM
What is the Bu site?

www.themalibucrew.com

I have an account there, they are pretty cool. Helped me with a ski selection. They don't know I own a MC :)

You find me a boat yet?

sand2snow22
02-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I hate the Illusion tower. If you are tall, you will too. If you like to put some loud stereo speakers on it, the people in the cockpit will hate you too. You will not ever enjoy a stereo loud enough to be heard by a rider.

I like the Illusion b/c of it's strength, but you make a good point!

MC has the best spinning & clamping board racks in the business. Period.

scott023
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I went onto their site as well... it is funny how the bashing of MC's fit and finish... this is the precise reason that I DID NOT buy a Malibu. I guess it just shows that most people are brand loyal and do not see the flaws in what they like. As I stated on the earlier note, I do not think that I am totally brand biased, I believe in the quality of the boat I bought... I have not even driven my boat yet. There is a lot of talk on their site about MC dealers (and owners) being "uppity" and looking down on the rest of the boating world. Funny thing is, our dealer here is the most down to earth guy, believes in the product but I think he genuinely cares about his customers. In fact, after I went down to Tenn. with him, he said even if I didn't buy a MC he just would be happy if we got a boat, any boat.

ttu
02-06-2009, 12:32 PM
scott, that is what i was referring to. the most uppity person we have over here is harold:uglyhamme

coz
02-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Here's a good read about Malibu Boats :D not sure what to take from it but interesting just the same http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/666640.html?1233902778 :confused:

captain planet
02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
What about the X35? I think that looks like the coolest boat MC is building these days (not a knock on the 45 at all).

I have to second this. The X-35 was the most impressive boat in the booth at the Cleveland Boat Show this year........aside from the 214. :rolleyes: (Sorry, I'm a "motor-in-the-middle" guy)

scott023
02-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Well guys, I don't want to be one to reign on the MC parade, but boats are not just about looks. I have test drove both the 2009 X45 and X35, and IMHO the X45 was a lot better. The X35 seemed to blast its way through everything, where the X45 cut its way. The 35 did not handle nearly as well as the 45, and the acceleration was better from the 45, even though it is a slightly bigger boat (both had the L18). The hull design of the 35, with the deeper hull, resulted in what I found to be a really rough ride. The X35 was the first MC I drove, and it honestly made me think there was no way I would buy a MC. I wanted a pickle fork, so the dealer convinced me to drive an X2. We loved the X2, but I thought it was too small for my family of 5 (plus friends). I loved the Star, but with three small children and a wife that slaloms, it was out of the question. That left the X45, and after driving it (in Tenn.), I was sold on it. IMHO it is the best of each of the smaller boats put together in one big mean machine. :D

Chicago190
02-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Well guys, I don't want to be one to reign on the MC parade, but boats are not just about looks. I have test drove both the 2009 X45 and X35, and IMHO the X45 was a lot better. The X35 seemed to blast its way through everything, where the X45 cut its way. The 35 did not handle nearly as well as the 45, and the acceleration was better from the 45, even though it is a slightly bigger boat (both had the L18). The hull design of the 35, with the deeper hull, resulted in what I found to be a really rough ride. The X35 was the first MC I drove, and it honestly made me think there was no way I would buy a MC. I wanted a pickle fork, so the dealer convinced me to drive an X2. We loved the X2, but I thought it was too small for my family of 5 (plus friends). I loved the Star, but with three small children and a wife that slaloms, it was out of the question. That left the X45, and after driving it (in Tenn.), I was sold on it. IMHO it is the best of each of the smaller boats put together in one big mean machine. :D

I definitely should have qualified my opinion in this case. I have 0 (zero) experience in either boat.

I merely suggested it because the early reviews of the X35 said it was a combination of wake and bigger water capability.

With that said, and considering the original poster is still looking at $65K+ boats, the X35 is still a well reviewed boat.

I didn't mean "cool" in the way my original post indicated. "cool" was an attempt at encompassing all the boat's positive aspects such as looks, size, etc.

brucemac
02-07-2009, 06:42 AM
it's disco gold chains or side of fries extra sauce imo

scott023
02-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Chicago, I wasn't tryng to slam anyone. I was trying to give the original poster an idea on the boats, if he hasn't alredy tested them. I am sure there are thousands of people that would take the X35 over the X45... wait a minute, this is starting to sound like I am biased...LOL;)

Chicago190
02-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Chicago, I wasn't tryng to slam anyone. I was trying to give the original poster an idea on the boats, if he hasn't alredy tested them. I am sure there are thousands of people that would take the X35 over the X45... wait a minute, this is starting to sound like I am biased...LOL;)

No, I wasn't offended in the least. If anything, your opinion is much more valuable than mine as you have tested both boats. As I said, what I had heard about the X35 is that it was going to be the new, "best" big water boat that MC was building and I thought the original poster may want to add it to the mix.

johkur
02-13-2009, 06:16 PM
We reviewed alot of boats before purchasing an X-45 with an L18.
Beyond alot of the other items mentioned, the X-45 has higher seats than the Malibu.
The Malibu felt alot more like sitting on the floor, while the sides and seats of the X45 were higher, which we liked.
The #1 item though was the wake. Even without loading the x45 with its internal ballast, the wake was impressive. With the ballast, it blew away the shape of the LSV, and we even messed with that thing Malibu likes to drag in the water to get a wake, it didn't get it to Mastercraft levels.
Another thing, compared to the Malibu, or even the X35 and X80, is that the X45 has the notched hull. this allows it to be like two different boats in relation to the water and thus wakeshape. At slower wakeboarding speeds, the notch keeps the boat angle so that you get an optimal wake for wakeboarding, and it keeps the boat from planing. But once you get over a certain speed, it planes out and gets to be an optimal shape for a smaller waterskiing wake. Put down the wakeplate (not to be confused with dragging a plate to make a wake of malibu) for the waterskiing, and you get it to that plane sooner, and smooth out the wake even more for the smaller waterskiing wake.
We compared the x45 to many other boats, and from wakeshape alone, it won handsdown. Add the quality of the boat, the ability to be a good waterskiing boat too, the room for 18 people, the pickle fork, the technology, it really was a great decision.

rzafire
02-15-2009, 08:52 PM
I was like u. X45 or LSV. I went to the LA Boat show and scrutinized each boat item by item. The X45 won hands down. I too have a buddy who has the LSV. I think he wishes he had an X45. Consider the use. I have kids who love to ride the bow. The bow is huge in the X45. The front ladder is awesome and has room for a secondary ladder. The lift up seats provide enormous storage. The tower is the best in the industry both in strength and style. Not to mention the swing away board racks. (as my buddy said as we tied up to each other "oh now you're just showin off!" The rear view mirror is on the tower. Not on the center window like the malibu(genious). The snap in carpet is huge. The upholstery is much more durable. There is more room in the cabin with the top up, and you can reach your tower without going through a hole in the bimini unlike the malibu. No wedge! Attitude adjustment plate for fine tuning your wake. Did I mention no wedge?

Go to a show. Check them out side by side. I was sold on Malibu until I did.
Good luck

TallRedRider
02-16-2009, 12:04 AM
When I rode in and behind an X-35 I was very impressed. It seemed to hit rough water about the same as my 45. The hole shot actually seemed very quick on the 35 even with the MCX that was the engine.

The bow alone is reason enough to get the 45 over the 247. Then when you consider the tower and higher seats of the MC, you are in heaven. Since I am extra tall, I definitely notice in my buddy's Malibu that the seats are lower. Cracking your head on the Illusion tower is no fun either. But if you are short, you may not find those to be issues.

I can't beleive that someone had trouble with the 247 wake. The driver or dealer must have been incompetent, because the wakeboarding wake is a monster (in a good way;))

davomaddo
02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
IMO Mastercraft is industrial strength and will hold up to abuse better. Malibu is plush, but won't wear as well over the long run.

Hense the resale value + factory tour.

If you look closely and bang around in the boats, you will notice the difference.
We all baby our boats. However, kids, dogs, drunk friends, etc - don't tread so lightly.

jdl xstar
02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
I have to second this. The X-35 was the most impressive boat in the booth at the Cleveland Boat Show this year........aside from the 214. :rolleyes: (Sorry, I'm a "motor-in-the-middle" guy)

Agreed. X35 is what I'd get if I was in the larger boat market. Can come with a sink and fridge. And the armrests in the bow are a nice touch. Sits a little higher in the water. Very impressive boat.