PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl warranty

mrm2083
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
What is the warranty on Mastercrafts vinyl. I have an 06 x2 (bought it new, its almost 3 years old) and the stitching is coming off and the vinyl is ripping at the seams. My boat is used a lot and is in the sun all the time, it is also used exclusively in salt water, but I do take care of it and apply 303. I have never had a problem with the boat, its funny because of the salt i would think I would have a bunch but haven't had any until my vinyl started falling apart. I have owned many boats and this has never happened but most of them didnt use much stitching in the vinyl. Should I expect mastercraft to warranty this or am i out of luck?

bigmac
02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
You're gonna have to check with your dealer...see if he'll go to bat for you. The warranty on the boat is only one year so your upholstery problems aren't covered, but MasterCraft has been known to replace that kind of stuff out of warranty. I had a side panel (throttle) break out of warranty and MasterCraft covered the cost of the part but not the labor.

TX.X-30 fan
02-05-2009, 10:08 AM
You're gonna have to check with your dealer...see if he'll go to bat for you. The warranty on the boat is only one year so your upholstery problems aren't covered, but MasterCraft has been known to replace that kind of stuff out of warranty. I had a side panel (throttle) break out of warranty and MasterCraft covered the cost of the part but not the labor.

I had the same panel fail, and I was told the dash is cut wrong.

I agree let your dealer see the problem.

Muttley
02-05-2009, 11:19 AM
My boat is used a lot and is in the sun all the time, it is also used exclusively in salt water, but I do take care of it and apply 303....

I don't think there's any coverage on vinyl. My guess is that you'll be out of luck. The thing is, that all the top manufactureres use pretty much the same quality stuff.

Check with your dealer and let us know how it goes.

Good luck, though!

east tx skier
02-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I wonder if G&T changed its manufacturing process in past 10 years or so? Maybe Goodyear sold them the old formula for Marathons. 8p

While my old 93 had a few seams pulled when I bought it, I had vinyl splitting and cracking.

jixxxer
02-05-2009, 03:36 PM
is it repairable? The thread are coming undone in mine also.

Sodar
02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I had a few cushions redone on my 1996. It was super time consuming, but the cheapest way to do it is to remove the staples yourself, take the cushion to the upholstery guy and have him sew new stitching in using Gore-Tex thread and have him reassemble the cushion. I had the back seat and two side bolsters for the back seat done for about $100... would have been about double that if I had the shop remove the staples.

east tx skier
02-05-2009, 04:01 PM
is it repairable? The thread are coming undone in mine also.

It depends. If your seams pulled loose because of dry rot, then not likely. Even with new skins, Sodar is right. Sit down with a flat head screwdriver and a pair of pliers and start yanking those staples out to save some $$.

Sodar
02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Exactly. In my case, the stitching had just rotted out... the vinyl was still good. They were able to restitch the existing vinyl and reassemble it.